Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New fender
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: New fender Reply with quote

I want to paint my new fender.
do i have to sand the shipping paint off down to bare metall or can i scuff it and then prime it??

I was told i could scuff it but i don't know what that paint is or if it will hold other paints
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's that thin black crap, remove it.
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't nessicarly have to be removed. Its a corrosion primer that can be painted over. You could sand it with 320da, get the imperfections out, scuff it with a scotchbrite pad and paint it. Most paint and body shops would go this way. If you want a show quality job, remove it, etch, prime, ect.
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMTX is right, I own a body shop and that would be our exact method.
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
I have 3 fenders like that and one of those 4 new ones is covered in red primer. is that primer selfetching primer? .

so if i do d.a. it ( the black fender) and scuff it , i just need to spray it with my high build primer surfacer and forget the self etching primer . or do i need to put that down also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
happy hoppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't know what it is, get rid of it!
it might come back to bite you!
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can spray the primer over it without the etch. The etch is for bare metal substrates.
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is small surfice rust under the black factory paint coat. So i will be taking all the fenders down to bare metal. And bodoing the small dings. Then i will selfetch prime everything. Will this primer pick up the bondo or not stick to the bondo?
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its okay to spray the etch over filler.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash primer should be kept away from fillers to the extent reasonably possible. Epoxy primer may be applied either over or under fillers. Surfacer goes over the top of the fillers and is sanded. Sealer, not always used, goes over the surfacer immediately prior to application of the finish coats.

You need to treat that rust with metal ready, picklex or something else before you bodywork over it.

This is all off the PPG data sheets, that is the only line of products I am familar with.

All you folks who were telling 73resto not to worry about leaving the crap primer on there, now you can see why it needs to come off. You're relying on the workers in the mexican or brazilan factory to have stored the raw sheetmetal and finished product in proper conditions to prevent the formation of micro rust prior to application of their primer. How good do you think that Mexican primer is? Considering how much a decent paint job costs to redo, I think a couple hours with a DA and a rotary brush getting most of that primer off would be a no-brainer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: