Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MSD Blaster 2 Coil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: MSD Blaster 2 Coil Reply with quote

Just curious about opinions on this coil. I ran into a problem with mine about a week ago. Before I start down the rant road I was hoping to hear good, bad and ugly on the Blaster 2 coil running in a T4 (now I've gone back to the bosh blue can). If no opinions then I'll destroy the thread by the end of the day not to clog up the system.

If a sticky exists please post....
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: MSD Blaster 2 Coil Reply with quote

Hippopotabus wrote:
Just curious about opinions on this coil. I ran into a problem with mine about a week ago. Before I start down the rant road I was hoping to hear good, bad and ugly on the Blaster 2 coil running in a T4 (now I've gone back to the bosh blue can). If no opinions then I'll destroy the thread by the end of the day not to clog up the system.

If a sticky exists please post....
... the only blaster 2 coils I have seen are on several of my friends modded high perf. chevys..basically for higher output electronic ignitions...meaning your points will burn out if you should use it in a completely stock set-up...if you run the coil thru a captive discharge unit, your OK because something like about 1/4 volt goes to the points

Last edited by Petervw on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm runnin a couple of them on my V8's and they work very well with an MSD driving them....
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas for the word. I fried the shit out of my ignition system and the facts point - no pun - to the coil. It decided to give up the ghost (Blaster Coil) the other day very unexpectedly. After I took it off the fan shroud strap I shook it and could hear the oil sloshing back and forth. I'm assuming that it wasn't suppose to sound like that.

For the life of me I cannot get the MSD or Mallory aftermarket stuff to work on my system. Probably because I don't race the Hippo.

I should've looked deeper into the verses from reverend Hayden at the AC Ranch when he said, "nothing wrong with the Bosh Blue can.... But if you feel the need to run that red soup can.... Rolling Eyes Up to you". Brick wall

Like a line from Apocalypse Now - "Never get away from the blue can"
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Blaster 2 coil on my westy for a couple of years now. Never a problem. I've used it with a Summit Racing CDI (aka Mallory Hy-Fire - which you know all about), and my present use is with a MSD 6 unit.

I also used a MSD Blaster 2 coil on my '68 Firebird with MSD 6 for about 15 years (sold car 3 years ago), no problems, which is why I use one now on my bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Darryl
Do you have a ballast resistor between the coil and your ignition (points or electronic)? I don't think you need too with an electronic ignition. Just Curious.

edit - glad to see someone is working with the Mallory / MSD stuff.

Thanks again for the feedback.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - no ballast resistor.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the correct blue coil is purchased ..there are several on the market ...stock coil on the stock setup or you will be in trouble again...you could also buy a cd ignition and use the blaster coil
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am partial to the CompuFire Dis-IX ignition system made for ALL VW's. Not necessarily cheap but definitely bullet proof!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: