Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring harness
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StRkLyGeRmAn15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: wiring harness Reply with quote

ok guys..i think im just gonna start fresh..but i need to kno first if there are complete wiring harnesses for my 69 square with CARBS..if not..do they have em with fuel injection and how hard is it to take it out..were can i find one..thnx Jim
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are new wire harnesses available, but they are expensive. They are a lot of work to build, and a lot of work to put in.
And then, you still have to sort it all out. My suggestion is to find someone in your area, that is familiar with VW wiring and pay them to straighten it out. If there are no burned up wires in the main harness, the old one can be repaired.
Everything si color coded in a VW wire harness. It is just like a paint by numbers set. Follow the colors and do it 1 at a time.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastback1971
Samba Drummer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this before and got some snotty replies, but Watsons street works sells a very well engineered G.M. style harness. Its great and comes with a full set of schematics. I have personally installed one and will on every V.W. I own in the future. The wires are all high temp. and it comes with everything(except tools) including ends and fuzes. But its about $350. There are lots of open fuze positions also for future mods. If you want a factory look I cant help. I would take Russes advice. Try and locate some original wire and prepare to pay. Either way, you cant go wrong by replacing 36 year old wiring. Good luck.
StRkLyGeRmAn15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast back..is it easy to put in..is it very self explanotory..my harness unde rthe dash is so messed..and some wires are painted.. Crying or Very sad
Grant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so wiring works isn't doing type-3s? the T-2 ones are sweet and only like $175 i think.
fastback1971
Samba Drummer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it very easy. But it is universal meaning, not type specific, so you'll need a good wiring diagram. I also have electrical experience. i dont want you to get in over your head. Pay attention to the schematic and follow the diagrams, you'll do fine. If you run into problems take pictures, post them here, there are some really good guys and girls on here to help.You might need a friend for some of the jobs. I would say the hardest part will be getting the bundle through the fender area. Anyone have any advice to make this easier? The good thing about the harness from Watsons is its marked every couple inches, so you dont have to mark every wire. Top quality.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper way to get the harness through the rear fender is to pull the fender. I can take a picture of the one that is still in my parts car. The fender is off the car.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISP West has a really nice complete wiring harness or you can get a main harness from WCM or CIP.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StRkLyGeRmAn15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much man..that isp west WAS EXACTLY wat i needed thank u very much Very Happy
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we have the complete harness instock.. headlight to tail light...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: