Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
I assume these are Vewib. Pretty sure any German made rubber is made by them.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-261-121A-LR

yes this is were I bought mine at CIP1.ca

and further looking at how to keep the seal well in place, I am going to use the following 3M glue, and apply some spot on each corner and in the middle of each section:

https://www.amazon.ca/3m-8008-super-adh-sives-froi...s=3m+08008
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

and further looking at how to keep the seal well in place, I am going to use the following 3M glue, and apply some spot on each corner and in the middle of each section:

Do you have experience with the Wolfgang Seals leaking? Those Vewib once look really good! I just installed my safaris from Wolfgang and am kind of wondering if I should "upgrade" the seals to these Vewib ones.?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
grailoc wrote:
GLHTurbo wrote:

Do you have experience with the Wolfgang Seals leaking? Those Vewib once look really good! I just installed my safaris from Wolfgang and am kind of wondering if I should "upgrade" the seals to these Vewib ones.?

Wolfgang seals did not leak everytime it more depends upon if it was raining a lot or not.

However without the bottom lip, there is always water that remains stuck between the seal and the body frame which along the course does not help to prevent rust to form.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

okay thanks! I'll just install my Wolfgang seals for now and keep this in mind for a possible future upgrade!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggestdaddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I've searched this whole thread and can't see any reference to the safari's that are offered by CIP1. There is some talk of their seals being good, but has anyone tried the whole safari kit? They're currently available for $598.49 with free shipping. Thanks in advance.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC20%2D1000

hitest wrote:
The whole procedure took 2 mins. 44 seconds (including one overdue crotch scratch).
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

biggestdaddyo wrote:
I've searched this whole thread and can't see any reference to the safari's that are offered by CIP1. There is some talk of their seals being good, but has anyone tried the whole safari kit? They're currently available for $598.49 with free shipping. Thanks in advance.

The photo with the ad looks like it's very old. That set looks like the POS ones that Wolfgang and Busboys used to sell with the modified vent latches that snap off immediately. They are also most likely the single "U" channel construction which doesn't support the glass when the windows are fully open. They also rust fast, easily massively. See if you can confirm that they at least switched to the original-looking latches. Otherwise, they are probably the same sets that WG & BB offer which are not worth the money, IMHO. Go with EIS or Creative.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

biggestdaddyo wrote:

Wolfgang safaris are sold by just about everyone, they have U shaped frames.
Then you have the EIS Safaris with the original style frames.
Then you have CE aluminum frames.

You may as well check Wolfgang for their prices on safaris based on the link. If you are in a sunny area WG are fine. If you are in Seattle with rain all year around get something besides a bus. Then get Safaris for the bus.
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

So its been a while since anyone has posted here.

After reading for hours and not seeing any updated information on wolfgang safaris, are they still the worst option? do they still just flex and break your window?

the CE and IZZY have V channel but neither fill with the stiffener like orriginal is this correct?

all leak equally depending on seal or does v channel help?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:

After reading for hours and not seeing any updated information on wolfgang safaris, are they still the worst option? YES do they still just flex and break your window? POSSIBLY

the CE and IZZY have V channel but neither fill with the stiffener like orriginal is this correct? YES

all leak equally depending on seal or does v channel help? THE V-CHANNEL IS ONLY FOR LOOKS. THEY WILL STILL LEAK

krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:

After reading for hours and not seeing any updated information on wolfgang safaris, are they still the worst option? YES do they still just flex and break your window? POSSIBLY

the CE and IZZY have V channel but neither fill with the stiffener like orriginal is this correct? YES

all leak equally depending on seal or does v channel help? THE V-CHANNEL IS ONLY FOR LOOKS. THEY WILL STILL LEAK

So if the V channel is only for looks are they all equally as inferior to original then?

What currently makes Wolfgang worse than the other 2?

Is Wolfgang lacking an inner strengthener? Or just lacks the V channel? Do they still flex more than the other 2 options?

Thanks

Kris
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:
the CE and IZZY have V channel but neither fill with the stiffener like orriginal is this correct?help?

IZZY (Isado Byrd) is a fucking thief and a liar. Period.

Just buy the EIS V channel ones and be done. They have the correct profile that doesn’t look like a child bent square stock for the frame (like all the others) and they won’t fill your face with shards of non safety glass when a rock hits them like the CE ones (the fine print on these say off road only).

Last edited by Malokin Martin on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:
cru62 wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:

So if the V channel is only for looks are they all equally as inferior to original then? YES, TO VARYING DEGREES. EIS MIMIC THE ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION OF FOLDED METAL WHICH OVERLAPS IN SEVERAL AREAS. AS FAR AS STIFFENING BARS INSERTED IN THE VERTICAL SECTIONS IT IS UNCLEAR.

What currently makes Wolfgang worse than the other 2? OTHER THAN THE DESIGN, FIT AND FINISH NOT A DARN THING.

Is Wolfgang lacking an inner strengthener? YES Or just lacks the V channel? ALSO TRUE Do they still flex more than the other 2 options? ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE ONLY.

Thanks

Kris

krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:
cru62 wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:

So if the V channel is only for looks are they all equally as inferior to original then? YES, TO VARYING DEGREES. EIS MIMIC THE ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION OF FOLDED METAL WHICH OVERLAPS IN SEVERAL AREAS. AS FAR AS STIFFENING BARS INSERTED IN THE VERTICAL SECTIONS IT IS UNCLEAR.

What currently makes Wolfgang worse than the other 2? OTHER THAN THE DESIGN, FIT AND FINISH NOT A DARN THING.

Is Wolfgang lacking an inner strengthener? YES Or just lacks the V channel? ALSO TRUE Do they still flex more than the other 2 options? ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE ONLY.

Thanks

Kris

I appreciate the clarity..... It's a lot of coin for the eis especially after converting to cad and shipping... I'm sort of torn what to get now or if it's even worth it if it's still a inferior product... Your almost to the point where you just buy og and cry once...

Thanks for the info
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:
cru62 wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:
cru62 wrote:
krisbeetle wrote:

Thanks

Kris

I appreciate the clarity..... It's a lot of coin for the eis especially after converting to cad and shipping... I'm sort of torn what to get now or if it's even worth it if it's still a inferior product... Your almost to the point where you just buy og and cry once...

Thanks for the info

I have a set of OG frames that need some work. I am planning on refreshing them myself and will document the process and pitfalls. Of course, that will depend on if I ever get any time off this Winter Confused
Buy the set that campingbox has for sale. They are a good deal and a good start. Order some staceyz glass and you are good to go! Nothing fits like OG.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

EIS Safaris are the only repo made like the original. All Safaris will leak more than non-Safaris.

Izzy Safaris are single wall unlike OG that have the inner structure as shown. This is OG VS EIS. Closest you can get with repo compared to OG...

Izzy has been showing up at Nor Cal shows again...

CE uses extruded aluminum frames. Good or bad I am not sure since I have not personally used them.

My take having personally using all of these, NOS OG>EIS>used OG>IZZY>Wolfgang

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

EIS is closest to original. Chromed latches in the correct shape. Correct looking hinge. Chrome 1 piece wing bolts.

CE is a close second with an aluminum frame. They do not flex. You have to get laminated glass cut at a glass shop. Stainless latches in the correct shape. Correct looking hinge. Zinc wing bolt.

IZZ flex but my glass never broke. They are thinnest frame on the market. Chrome beetle latch handle on a correct looking aluminum base. Piano hinge. Zinc wing bolt.

Wolfgang, square style. Chrome beetle latch on ? material correct looking base. I have seen several broken bases. Steel or stainless frames. Piano hinge. Zinc wing bolt.

My repops, square style. Chrome beetle latch on pot metal chrome base. Stainless frames. Piano hinge. Stainless wing bolt.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Ok, I’ve done, what I think, has been an exhaustive search of this topic with no result. I have a set of OG Safari frames. The sliders need some love and I need to remove them. I have tried on a previous pair to remove them for reuse with no luck. I ordered a set of new rivets from a longtime seller on this site that, while “guaranteed” to fit original frames, were not even close and a complete waste of money.
So, my question then is- Who makes a slider rivet that is a direct replacement for the originals? Alternatively, is there a way to remove the original rivet in a way that it is reusable?

thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I'm doing some research because I want to install safaris in my deluxe.

After all these years, why do vendors still insist on the lazy-ass "fits 1950-1967" bullshit?

And why do they still offer only polished or off-white powder coat? Do people just not care?
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

thom wrote:
I'm doing some research because I want to install safaris in my deluxe.

After all these years, why do vendors still insist on the lazy-ass "fits 1950-1967" bullshit?

And why do they still offer only polished or off-white powder coat? Do people just not care?

and nothing looks better than bright white frames on beige grey or even pearl white.

EIS offers their kits in primer.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

If its any consolation, I know Wolfgang will send you the frames apart for paint and then assemble them for no charge. It’s half assed, but it’s something
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 62

Jump to: