Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoursurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Wolfgang Safari's Reply with quote

Need some advice. I been trying to install safaris on my 65 Kombi from Wolfgang. I centered them and marked them, drilled two holes on each side, when you place screw in the sit perfect, when you tighten the screw up the bttm moves up and window tabs dont reach at btm. Think I need to make a spacer? window frame has slight indention across top where the hing bolts up

Advice anyone

1st upper frame with indention
2nd pic window bolts tighten up
3rd pic window screws loose
4th window screws tight and pic from inside with gap

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Mini Cooper Countryman
1965 Mini Cooper Sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a spacer between the hinges and the indent. Use a flat metal rod.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Add a spacer between the hinges and the indent. Use a flat metal rod.

Good advise. Except instead of a metal plate do what VW did and use a tape spacer. On the last set of safaris that I installed on a bus I wanted something that looked like the OG material. The closest to that is "friction tape". It is a type of electrical tape. I got a roll from my local ACE. I think I had to use three layers for the correct thickness. After I trimmed it up I punched the holes with a paper punch.

The tape is tacky but not sticky and works great. And it helps to prevent leaks at the hinge area.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell from the last pic, but are the frames sitting flat against the seal all the way from top to bottom?
yoursurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I drilled the holes, I had a friend hold what I believer to be equal pressure to the center of the glass before I marked the hinge area, then I drilled two outer holes on each window, the window sit with what looks to be equal pressure on the rubber, the window frames do not perfectly align around the perimeter of the frame. the driver side safari when closed sticks up a little on the outer side about 1/16 on ich (another words not reseased all the way down.

1965 Mini Cooper Sedan
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfgang Safari's Reply with quote

I don't see the lower tabs in the photos, how far are they off by?

yoursurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tabs have not been placed, they are probably a 1/8-1/4 off at most. The lever wont secure window to the tab.

1965 Mini Cooper Sedan
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have 2 short and two long tabs for the dash. Can you take a photo with them fit?
yoursurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats for that info, I did not realize there was a difference in the tabs, I will check and take photo, I did buy a roll of friction tape but have not placed it yet. I do appreciate all the guidance I have been given

1965 Mini Cooper Sedan
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone explain what some of the differences btw og vs other aftermarket safaris?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
can someone explain what some of the differences btw og vs other aftermarket safaris?

The one big difference is the "V" channel that goes around the frame BUT other aftermarket brands now have that. My first aftermarket set of safaris had it (Izzy brand safaris) I believe there is one other aftermarket brand that also has this "V" channel. Wolfgang does not have this "V".

There might be some other noticeable differences that someone else can chime in to describe them.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobzKombi wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

The one big difference is the "V" channel that goes around the frame BUT other aftermarket brands now have that. My first aftermarket set of safaris had it (Izzy brand safaris) I believe there is one other aftermarket brand that also has this "V" channel. Wolfgang does not have this "V".

There might be some other noticeable differences that someone else can chime in to describe them.

Izz's has a V-channel that is more pronounced than OG. The new EIS safris supposedly have this V channel, but no-one has piped up to talk about the quality of those yet.

Other differances, wolfgang hinge holes are round, Izz's are slotted, making it easier to get a perfect alignment than Wolfgang. (on my wolfgangs, I slotted the far left and far right holes for alignment fine tuning, then screwed in the others)

Izz's is available in both clear glass and light green tint to match deluxe glass. Wolfgang does not. Having had both, the green does slightly cut down the glare, and I wish that Wolfgang offered that. The wolfgangs also have some pretty crappy logos etched into them...

Build quality...seems to be hit and miss. My Wolfgangs are not as good of quality. The joints have a little gap, the black seal frame to glass seems like bad rubber? meaning I clean the glass and there is black all over the rag from the rubber. My wolfgangs match my window opening well, it's uniform all around, I have seen some wolfgangs that were not. Some people have reported that their Izz windows don't match the openings, but that was not the case with mine, they were perfect. Izz does install them in a bus he has at the shop forst before sending them out, to make sure the shape and gap is correct. I've seen that myself.

Availability...Wolfgang, you buy them, they are at your house in a few days. Izz, not so sure I see people complaining about delivery dates but I never had an issue.

Overall, to me, Izz quality is the best. I have not had originals or CE, or the new EIS, so I cannot comment on those
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
RobzKombi wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

The wolfgangs also have some pretty crappy logos etched into them...

This is the part on my current set that REALLY IRRITATES me the most!
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobzKombi wrote:
Erik G wrote:
RobzKombi wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

The wolfgangs also have some pretty crappy logos etched into them...

This is the part on my current set that REALLY IRRITATES me the most!

the etching on mine wasn't even done good half of the logo rubbed off from washing them which was more irritating then having them complete

my wolfgangs also did not fit the window openings at all but didn't notice until they were installed
which wolfgangs pretty much said since they were install it was MY problem and could only get replacement exchange if I paid for all the shipping back and forth
this was a few years ago but I will never buy anything from them again

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Availability...Wolfgang, you buy them, they are at your house in a few days. Izz, not so sure I see people complaining about delivery dates but I never had an issue.

Complaining?!?! AHAHAHAHA Its been a year and a half of waiting for my windows and I haven't heard word one for about 6 months now.

Izzy ISW/Isado Byrd have left so many people high and dry its laughable
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobzKombi wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

The "V" is merely cosmetic on the aftermarket frames. The profile of the OG frames looks like this-

The aftermarket frames also do not have these pieces of reinforcement which is why they have such a problem with cracking of the glass-

This is the reason that OG safaris are the preferred choice over ALL of the aftermarket copies.

21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the EIS safari's yet?

Thinking of getting some, but can't find much actual feedback on em yet.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21-window wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the EIS safari's yet?

Thinking of getting some, but can't find much actual feedback on em yet.

splitpile wrote:
EIS safaris installed in a 1966 SC

Installation was a breeze, center tab needed a little tweeking to get right (done after welding in). Seal was a little tuff, but I got it to work, prototype worked much better was made a little short, production ones came out a little bigger in the profile) Weld ins and dash tabs worked great, center tab needed a little tweeking. Washers for the wig nuts are a little to small in OD, chromed wings are great. Powder close is very close to L87. If this bus wasn't repainted they would have matched almost perfect to the original paint. All in all installed like anyone else, like the frame profile, don't like the DOT stamp, but at least it's in the lower corners. These were one of the first sets in the US, waiting for more to come in, 4 to 6 weeks away.
I'll make a video of my next set install if I remember. This is the 3rd set I have done.

Pretty sure this is the only real review so far
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have older CE safaris. They are screwed and glued. The center weld-in was junk. I replaced it with a Wolfgang piece. Newer CE's have better weld-ins and have welded (not screwed or glued) hinges. The frames have the internal frame tabs to strengthen the frames and the V-channel. The only bad part is that they come with tempered safety glass that can shatter. I replaced that glass with laminated glass cut by Oldies Glass in San Bernardino, CA.

Mark English is the man at Oldies Glass. He has has patterns for OE, Wolfgang, and CE safaris. He has the correct thickness and can probably do the green glass as well. He can assemble your frames too. He only works nights so call after 4pm PST 909 222-8425
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:

The fit of the frame joint looks about as good as WG. Oh well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 62

Jump to: