Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I installed the wingnut hardware, I'm holding off on the latch hardware until the seals are sorted out. The wingnut hardware fit very well with just a little adjustment for alignment, right now it's screwed in place, but we'll weld it as we prep the interior for paint.

Unfortunately steaming the seals with the espresso machine didn't change anything other than making the kitchen humid as hell. I also hung them in the sun for the whole day, tomorrow I'll take a shot at gluing them in as placeholders for another set.

Here is a close-up of one of the seals with the deformity from folding during shipping, normally I'd hope these crushed areas would resolve with time and some direct sun, but this material is so stiff, it won't stay in the frame. Its hard like an old garden hose, I may end up with plain weatherstrip until some good seals arrive since rain is forecast early next week.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the upside, driving with the Safaris open is awesome! We went out for ice cream this evening and they were perfectly stable even at highway speeds.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are probably going to replace them anyway, have you considered throwing them in the dryer with a load of rags to see if that has any effect? It would heat them up evenly. Maybe worth a shot.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Since you are probably going to replace them anyway, have you considered throwing them in the dryer with a load of rags to see if that has any effect? It would heat them up evenly. Maybe worth a shot.

That's a good idea, I did something similar with boat rub rail by soaking it in a bathtub of super hot water before installation. The only way to get these to stay was to glue them in, so they'll stay until something else arrives.

Today we drove an hour up to Volksweston, the Mo Kan VW Club show in Weston, MO and the seals worked reasonably keeping the wind noise down, but there are small gaps wherever there is an irregularly from the way they were packed.
nigel naughton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder why is is SOOOOO hard for them to make this stuff the way it is supposed to be made??? With today's tech you would think that it would be easy enough to reproduce at least as good as factory. Makes me frustrated to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel naughton wrote:
Makes me frustrated to say the least.

Hi five slap and parallel thoughts to that.
surveylifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Seals Reply with quote

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=s1z741
Ive been reading about the seal problem and read about the ones from buttysbits and found them on mcmaster carr site for half the price and recieved them in 3 days and the fit amazing. Even on the radius' no bunching
I ordered two 10' pieces for about $55. I know not cheap but what is if it works.
On a different note do all bus's have notches at the top of the window to recieve the safari hinge. I have a 67 13 window. Any one with knowedge let me know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surveylifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Seals cont Reply with quote

Addl it is adjustable edge grip seals #7 on th mcmaster site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grey60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals cont Reply with quote

surveylifer wrote:
Addl it is adjustable edge grip seals #7 on th mcmaster site

Part number is 12335A44.

surveylifer wrote:
On a different note do all bus's have notches at the top of the window to recieve the safari hinge

Anyone have a pic of the notches?

Pretty certain my 1960 commercial panel doesn't have them.

I am having trouble visualizing how the threaded plates pacmanfever made should fit into the body…

Slipped inside under the roof on either side of the vent intake?

So it's: Screws through window hinge --> drilled holes in body --> threaded plate?
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seals cont Reply with quote

grey60 wrote:

surveylifer wrote:
On a different note do all bus's have notches at the top of the window to recieve the safari hinge

I am having trouble visualizing how the threaded plates pacmanfever made should fit into the body…

So it's: Screws through window hinge --> drilled holes in body --> threaded plate?

Early bus did not come with the notches that started in the mid 60's something i think around '63/'64-ish
Can't remeber off hand if earrly ones with factory safari had them or not

Yes the thread plate goes inside the body you have to punch a hole in the windshield frame and slide them in to the other side window

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the indent was a later thing. If you want some fun, search 'early vs late safaris' and read the debate.

Was that in this thread?
grey60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
If you want some fun, search 'early vs late safaris' and read the debate.

Dear god. Just kill me now. Rolling Eyes

Well it can't be nearly as bad as the 'What oil shall I use' discussion.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey60 wrote:
Z wrote:
If you want some fun, search 'early vs late safaris' and read the debate.

Dear god. Just kill me now. Rolling Eyes

Well it can't be nearly as bad as the 'What oil shall I use' discussion.

Yeah, that thread has gotten pretty out of control!
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Seals cont Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
grey60 wrote:

surveylifer wrote:

Early bus did not come with the notches that started in the mid 60's something i think around '63/'64-ish
Can't remeber off hand if earrly ones with factory safari had them or not

Yes the thread plate goes inside the body you have to punch a hole in the windshield frame and slide them in to the other side window

On he last bus I installed those plates in I didn't punch two holes like the service bulletin instructs. I cut one hole on the upper DS opening just big enough for the plate with a stiff wire attached. I taped the wire to right end of the DS plate, installed it in the PS header and then pulled it back to the DS. Then I installed the PS plate. It is a good idea to leave the wire attached until you have the center screw installed and the plate is not able to move all over the header. AMHIK Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seals cont Reply with quote

surveylifer wrote:

Here are the vintage Safari instructions for VW dealers: http://www.vintagebus.com/howto/safari.html

And here is a helpful thread with clear pictures: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=189195

Some have pop riveted them in without using the threaded plate, but you lose the adjustability the floating threaded plate provides. It is more work to put the plate in, but it allows you to compensate for the seals after they take a "set", and ease of removal in the future which in our case is soon as we're slowly getting ready for paint.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to finally bust open the piggy bank for safaris, it sounds like EIS is the way to go, anyone who thinks I should buy wolfgang's instead?

Also, I'm needing them sorta fast, who has the better leadtime?

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerekR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my EIS safari's and had them at my door in Utah in 3 days. The fit is good, no complaints.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
I decided to finally bust open the piggy bank for safaris, it sounds like EIS is the way to go, anyone who thinks I should buy wolfgang's instead?

Also, I'm needing them sorta fast, who has the better leadtime?

While it appears that EIS has some of the same issues that the WG safaris do, they a have gone the extra mile and made them as close to original as any other brand on the market. I imagine that you would have much less chance of glass breakage with EIS as opposed to WG. The fact that the frame pieces will actually interchange with original is HUGE!

ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the difference between a 55 to 63 rear bus safaris and the ones sold for the 55 to 65, single cabs and double cabs, besides costing $200 more?

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:
what's the difference between a 55 to 63 rear bus safaris and the ones sold for the 55 to 65, single cabs and double cabs, besides costing $200 more?

Trucks have a different shaped rear window. The safaris have a different hinge setup, too, I think.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right! The window is the same as a barndoor. I'd get more for my money with front safaris.

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 62

Jump to: