Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fronts are definitely the most rewarding, but front AND rears on an SC is almost a convertible!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking into getting some EIS safari windows for my 63 15 window. they sells 2 different sets. one is a v shape frame and the other just says safari windows . one is white and the other is off white. there is a $75 difference in price too. just not sure which ones to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v-shaped frame is closer to original, and stronger. I think the v-shape may help them seal a bit better, but that's just a guess. I think they're worth the extra, personally.
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are actually the cheaper of the two
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a set of Creative Engineering polished aluminum safaris and very impressed with them. To me it was worth the $$ and a little bit of a wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCZ9-1-1 wrote:
I just received a set of Creative Engineering polished aluminum safaris and very impressed with them. To me it was worth the $$ and a little bit of a wait.

I got mine in primer finish (black is standard), haven't installed it though.

But the seals that came with the set are disappointing. I bought replacement seals from AH Schofield that were much better looking.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
The v-shaped frame is closer to original, and stronger. I think the v-shape may help them seal a bit better, but that's just a guess. I think they're worth the extra, personally.

I just bought a set of these EIS safaris, they sound good from the feedback.
I bought the primered ones, not the stainless or powder coated type.
They're coming in a container to Australia so I'll have to wait and see.
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some sheet metal repair to do to the bottoms of my windows so I won't be installing them> I'll check the seals. CE says theirs are neoprene and close to the OEM. I'll try em and see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCZ9-1-1 wrote:
I have some sheet metal repair to do to the bottoms of my windows so I won't be installing them> I'll check the seals. CE says theirs are neoprene and close to the OEM. I'll try em and see how it goes.

The seals that came with my CE frames are crap TBH.

The one that goes around the sheet metal is not even joined, it's in a single 1 strip and I'm assuming whoever installs it has to somehow join it at the ends.

They also have a kind of metal form inside them to give them rigidity, but makes it difficult getting into the corners. Also the rubber compound is hard.

The Glass to frame seal was very hard, and doesn't give much confidence.

But, the frames and hardware supplied are otherwise top notch.
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying the EIS v profile safaris. Very happy with everything but the seals. Just like everyone stated the seals are 2" too big. I cut them and gave them a try but seem to pop the window out too much. I've used the Wolfgang seals on another bus and was happy with the way they fit.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric m wrote:
I ended up buying the EIS v profile safaris. Very happy with everything but the seals. Just like everyone stated the seals are 2" too big. I cut them and gave them a try but seem to pop the window out too much. I've used the Wolfgang seals on another bus and was happy with the way they fit.

So what seals are you gonna try? The Wolfgang ones? Can you report how they fit and seal with the EIS V profile safaris, please. Very Happy
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
eric m wrote:

So what seals are you gonna try? The Wolfgang ones? Can you report how they fit and seal with the EIS V profile safaris, please. Very Happy

Yes, I'm going to get the Wolfgang seals. I Forgot to put that. I'll report back and post pics when I get them.
eric m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first three pics are of the EIS seals and the last ones are with the Wolfgang seals . I like the Wolfgang seals much better.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: safari rot Reply with quote

i'd like to install these. before painting, wondering whether the rot in the corners must be welded.
the top of the lower channel holding the glass is a concern. underneath the rot is solid.

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: safari rot Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
i'd like to install these. before painting, wondering whether the rot in the corners must be welded.
the top of the lower channel holding the glass is a concern. underneath the rot is solid.

Must is a rather subjective term. How important is it to you? It is a heck of a lot easier to do it now than later. Will the windshield glass fit? Probably. Can you do it yourself? Are you competent fabricator/welder? Does it matter? Probably not. But YOU will know that rot is there and getting worse each time your windshield gets wets. And latching the window without that extra reinforcement will likely bend the latch mount and not seal the frame to the rubber as well as it should. This will likely result in leaky windows. If it is to be a DD, I would suggest fixing it. If you plan to flip it or run it across the BJ stage, then, hell no! Run them like that.

JK. Fix them and forget about them.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
robking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked, and Im unsure of the answer. Is safari and stationary glass interchangeable? I have factory safari windows on a 1957 Kombi, and would like have found a set of vw nos sekurit glass, and would like to use it if possible.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robking wrote:
I've looked, and Im unsure of the answer. Is safari and stationary glass interchangeable? I have factory safari windows on a 1957 Kombi, and would like have found a set of vw nos sekurit glass, and would like to use it if possible.

no; safari glass is smaller
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glass shops can cut glass if you really want to go through the effort and its clean. The easier way is to have someone etch the logo on the repops if it bothers you

BTW: for those wondering about the EIS windows- the pivot pin broke on 3 out of 4 latches after about a week. The screws that hold the window halves are also rusting. Otherwise I'm very happy with the fit 3 months out.
thatHawaiianGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: CE rear safari came Unassembled!?!? Reply with quote

WTH? I ordered a primered rear safari from CE and I have to put it together? Nowhere on the website does it say anything about that! So I guess I'm supposed to paint it and then what happens when my untrained a$$ breaks the glass??? Another $150 (that they didn't tell me about) to ship another one?!?! BUYERS BEWARE

"I have a couple of Buses, a couple of Beetles and this strange car with a radiator;
the badge says VW, however I have my doubts"
-VWAdam

https://www.facebook.com/newmexicobusclub/
https://www.instagram.com/newmexicobusclub/?hl=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycjoptl20tY
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CE rear safari came Unassembled!?!? Reply with quote

thatHawaiianGuy wrote:
WTH? I ordered a primered rear safari from CE and I have to put it together? Nowhere on the website does it say anything about that! So I guess I'm supposed to paint it and then what happens when my untrained a$$ breaks the glass??? Another $150 (that they didn't tell me about) to ship another one?!?! BUYERS BEWARE

I really don't think they are trying to piss you off. They sent it unassembled because the overwhelming majority of people who want to paint the frame WANT it unassembled so that an adequate job can be achieved. Better coverage and a better overall job is possible that way.

And, why would you buy another window? If you break the glass reassembling it (which is doubtful as I think the glass is tempered) any glass shop can cut you another piece. Make a pattern of the piece before you start manhandling the window so that on the off chance it is destroyed, making a new one will be easy.

Or, take the window to a good glass shop and have THEM assemble it. Then, if there is breakage, they are on the hook, not you. And their labor should be a bargain even if it is their shop rate minimum.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 62

Jump to: