Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

what do you all use to remove the berg equalizer pulley ( the heaviest unit)

looking for a good pulley puller now, the one berg sells doesnt work for their heavier Equalizer pulley.
tinkerwitbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pulley has two threaded holes. i position holes at 6 and 12 o'clock thread long bolts thru holes and press the pulley off that way. i use two short pieces of 1/8 x 1" flat steel between bolts and engine case so bolts dont dig in. no need for a puller
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

I'm having this issue as well. I just got my Equalizer pulley in today, and it is a press fit onto the crank snout. I have it part way on the crank, but want to remove it. My standard pulley puller doesn't have deep enough jaws.

Are threaded bolts the only way to remove it, or does anyone know of a good puller?

Ted
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Are threaded bolts the only way to remove it, or does anyone know of a good puller?

Ted

Get a puller with longer jaws.

Want cheap?
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-shop...63953.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

It's made to use bolts to pull it, grab some good ones and go for it.

Any particular reason you don't want to do it that way?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
It's made to use bolts to pull it, grab some good ones and go for it.

Any particular reason you don't want to do it that way?

Well, I see that on mine the bolt holes aren't threaded. I'll see what I can come up with.

thank you
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

Ted

Get a puller with longer jaws.

Want cheap?
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-shop...63953.html

Thanks Glenn, I'll look at those you posted.

Ted
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

Two grade 8 bolts nuts washers and a piece of thick bar stock or not so thick angle iron with holes drilled and the appropriate size spacer "socket"
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

I'd recommend the OTC 522
if you want to buy a general purpose two bolt puller.

Or just make something of similar shape out of 1/2 x 1 steel bars welded so there is a 1/2 gap.
You don't really need the bolt in the middle, can tighten the two studs to do most jobs, which works good if you have two wrenches and two hands as most people do, tho some people don't. but if you want a bolt in the middle that's fine just weld a nut on it.

Like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Two grade 8 bolts nuts washers and a piece of thick bar stock or not so thick angle iron with holes drilled and the appropriate size spacer "socket"

Thank you. This sounds like it will do the trick.

Ted
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I'd recommend the OTC 522
if you want to buy a general purpose two bolt puller.

Or just make something of similar shape out of 1/2 x 1 steel bars welded so there is a 1/2 gap.
You don't really need the bolt in the middle, can tighten the two studs to do most jobs, which works good if you have two wrenches and two hands as most people do, tho some people don't. but if you want a bolt in the middle that's fine just weld a nut on it.

Like this

Nice thanks Modok, I'll order one. I appreciate it!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help.

I found the right pieces in my Harbor Freight 93980 Bearing Puller Kit. Pulley came off like butter lol.

Here are a couple pictures:

fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

Ok I fully admit to being inept (or worse lol).

Now that I can get the equalizer pulley off, how do I get it to go on all the way? I was able to rubber mallet it onto the crank about 1/2 way, but no further. Now that it is removed from the crank, I can't get it back on even that far, without the rubber malllet. I also tried using paint stripper on the inside but it didn't remove any of the (presumeably) power coated paint.

Do I need to 320 grit the inside circumference of the pulley to provide that extra .01mm or whatever it needs to be able to slide on? I hesitate to do so, but can try a block of wood and 2 lb hammer if that is what it takes.

Thanks for putting up with me on this!

See how far I've been able to get it on:

Ted
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

After you make your morning coffee place the pulley on the heating element for five minutes. Use gloves it will be hot. Also could cool down the crank.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
After you make your morning coffee place the pulley on the heating element for five minutes. Use gloves it will be hot. Also could cool down the crank.

Will do this, thank you.

Ted
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: good pulley puller for berg equalizer pulley Reply with quote

Thats actually a copy of a Berg pulley.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: