Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

welder settings?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: welder settings? Reply with quote

i use a lincoln weldpak 110, it has the dials a-b-c-d and wire speed dial 1-10 i think....which do you use for welding your vw so it doesn't cause a mess/too much heat? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keith808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have miller, but on the inside lid of your welder you should have a diagram I believe explaining the settings.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hobart sounds similar settings 1,2,3,4 and speeds 10 to 100 ( i think)
for sheet metal seam welds, i set the heat to 1 (lowest) and the speed around 20...weld little 1/4"-1/2" strips....than go 12" away and do it again...be carefull not to heat your panel up too much...then when it cools down weld inbetween your 12" welds and then in between those etc..until your seam is done...

for plug welding (rosette welding, faux spot welding) i set the heat to 3 and the speed to 10-15...someone recomendded setting it to 4 but i blow through the metal to easily at 4...it seems like with plug welding, there is a fine line between a nice hot/strong weld pool and holding a little too long and blowing through the metal...

you want to hear a hissing/sizzling sound, like fresh bacon on a hot frying pan...no popping sound...play with some scrap to get the feel for it...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
ghiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My welder is quite similar to yours. It's a Lincoln 135 110v wire feed. It really all boils down to what gauge sheet metal you are welding and what size wire you are feeding. If you are using .030" solid wire on 18 gauge, Lincoln says to use a C-2 setting. I find that the recommended speed is usualy a bit slow, but maybe it will work for you. I like a setting of around 2.5-3.0. Using the gassless flux-cored wire changes these values somewhat. I have never used it so, I couldn't tell you how much. Just remember, start on a low voltage (A) and work your way up. If you aren't getting a good pool to form and not getting good penetration, step up the voltage.
ghiadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a list of all the wire-speed and voltage settings for different gauges of steel. I can try and E-mail this to you if you would like.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah send them over this way! Thanks everyone....i guess it just matters on the wre gauge too...i haven't checked out which wire i have, but what type of wire do you recomend? I'm just welding in panels for my 77 bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallest gauge solid wire (w/ gas) that your welder will let you use....you'll also need the appropriate tip...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
yeah send them over this way! Thanks everyone....i guess it just matters on the wre gauge too...i haven't checked out which wire i have, but what type of wire do you recomend? I'm just welding in panels for my 77 bus.

.024 wire and 75% argon/25% co2 mix gas.

go easy on the heat when welding those large bus panels. penetrate the metal, but stop often to minimize heat and warpage. Wink

Zundfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've used the .025 wire and it just seams to build up a big puddle but it doesn't penatrate enough, and when i put the settings to the "b" marker it just blast through the metal.....should i use 023 wire and settings "a"? I guess I'll just have to mess around with it little more and practice on some more scrp metal before i actually start to weld the bus....plug welding is easy for me its just when the two metals are butted up to each other is where i'm having problems.
iamahugevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually run .023 wire on setting b with a wire speed or 3.5 or so. On mig welders the wiring speed it what varies current in the wire along with this the proper arc length is key. keep the tip about 1.4" away from teh work peice. If you are not getting good penataion need to either setup up the voltage or turn up the wire speed a tad. remember on sheet metal to use quick bursts. you have to give the puddle time to cool just enough so that you dont burn it. with practice your eyes will concentrate on the puddle and not the arc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: