Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is "wet sanding" and how do you do it?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich53x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: What is "wet sanding" and how do you do it? Reply with quote

I think I know what wet sanding means, but not sure if there's a particular way to do it when you're working with metal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: what is wet sanding how do I do Reply with quote

Don't wet sand bare metal , only paint or primer . TROY
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
rich53x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Dumb question: What is "wet sanding" and how do yo Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't even know that much. - Can you tell me a little more though about wet sanding?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wet sanding is ussually done with finer grit sandpapers (400, 600, 800, 1200, 2000 grits), water and a hand sanding block (not a DA sander or jitterbug sander to the best of my knowledge)...the water helps keep the paper from cloging up...you can either put a constant stream of water on the area you are sanding (i take a 2 Quart plastic juice bottle and put a small slice in the bottom of it...then set it above the area i'm working and let gravity deliver the water)...this way ultimately leaves a big puddle of dirty water somewhere but it is easier on your skin...

the other way, which is what i normally do is to have a bucket close by half full of water and periodically dunk the sanding block in the water and swish it around and then return it to your work area sopping wet and sand for a minute or so...your hands will become pruney after a couple hours of this...i use an oven cleaning glove on my sanding hand when i think of it...

you do not really get different results by using wet sanding compared to dry sanding...it's just that the fine grit sandpapers clog easily and you make alot of dust with the dry sanding method...

my most preferred method is to use the yellow sand paper of 320 grit for prepping surfaces for paint and use it dry (autozone sells it..think it's called automotive paper? made by 3m?...use a mask/respirator to avoid dust in your lungs)...it doesn't clog like the black papers...you simply smack the sanding block a couple times and it is good to go for a couple minutes...i think its cleaner and quicker than wet sanding with 400 and should be good for pre-primer prep...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
rich53x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information! I'm gonna check my local autozone for the 3m paper. It sounds like the way to go.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while you are ther, buy a can of grease and wax remover...wipe on wipe off ala karate kid style before you start sanding, otherwise you can work grease into the surface as you are sanding...do this with wet or dry sanding...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are blocking out primer, go dry and you will actually be able to see what you are doing and wont make a total mess.
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let the wet sand paper sit in water for atleast 30 minutes prior to sanding
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calbug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go in 1 motion front to back
sand till you cant see the marks from the grit you used before
so all the scratchs are gone..
if you realy have a nice body you can get 3800,4000,8000,12000 grit..
Peace Troy
041heads,110Cam,Dellrado 34's,
A1 Sidewinder,Compufire DIS-IX Ignition,BMDSerpBelt,95Amp Alt
Custom Sound System & Interior/Dash
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pale, warm water, a little dish soap, 600 - 1200 -2000 sand paper (let it soak in the water for a bit), a fexible sanding block (rubber) and crosshatch strokes. dip in the bucket every few minutes. never sand in straight lines and change directions every so often so you dont get "wear" patterns. Wink

Zundfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: