Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian White Westy House Build
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to the Vanagon Forums, but not new to TheSamba. I have a very long lasting (and still in the process ) build in the Split Forums with our '67 11 window build.

My Wife (Lindsay) and I recently purchased a 1988 2WD Vanagon Westfalia. Before I tell you anything about the Westy, I need to sing the praises of my amazing Wife yet again.
Back before we started the build of our '67, She said "we either have to fix it (had been sitting in field for 16 years) or sell it, and I don't think either of us could sell it, so you'd better fix it." Now that might be paraphrasing a bit, but that was the sentiment anyways. Now cut to last October, where our daily driver, a 2010 Ford Flex Limited Ecoboost, has now coughed up the third turbo, and I am looking for a replacement vehicle. My amazing wife looks at me ( the clouds part, a heavenly beam of light shines down on her, the earth heaves her up high above me, with wind blowing in her hair) says, "i'd really like it if we just got a Westy." Well, at least that's how I remember it.

So, after looking everywhere for a Westy (which have gone up in price by at least $5k, due to COVID), I took one last look on our local classified and found ours. It is really quite minty, compared to what else was out there. It's been lowered, has a body kit (air dam, side skirt panels) and was restored in 2014. Interior is perfect, one pin hole in the tent canvas and the fuel injection had been removed and is running on a set of Weber IDF40s.

To list the plans for this Westy, I would list making it capable of a South America trip. That's the bucket list plan anyways. But we will start small and work with what we've got.

The first things ordered have been: Mercedes 16" wheels and longer studs, Go Westy lift springs, Bilstien XHD shocks, throttle cable, roof vent mechanism, 3" memory foam and custom cover, and a set of 6 LED utility lights (for lighting up a perspective camping spot). Also, a set of either BFG TAs, or General Grabber ATX tires. Still deciding.?

Now future plans for the Westy include: a massive custom (by me) bat wing 180 degree awning, Renogy solar power system, swing away rear carrier set up, side ladder, aluminum left rear window recovery gear rig/inside storage set up, roof racks for SUP and surfboards and of course a Chinese diesel heater to keep us toasty warm in the shoulder seasons.

Still working on a name for her, but here she is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will try to post as things get done, would love to hear from anyone with more Westy experience and what I really should be doing .

Peace, Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

How about brakes?
Cooling system?
Engine?
Transaxle?
CV joints?
Suspension?
Wheel bearings?

The term “restored” means different things to different people.
And 2014? That was 8 years ago.

I’d be spending time and money on the basics. Toys and bling come later.

Anyway, welcome to Vanagons!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
How about brakes?
Cooling system?
Engine?
Transaxle?
CV joints?
Suspension?
Wheel bearings?

The term “restored” means different things to different people.
And 2014? That was 8 years ago.

I’d be spending time and money on the basics. Toys and bling come later.

Anyway, welcome to Vanagons!

Thanks for the welcome....

Umm..okay, for those who haven't looked at my other work, I am a mechanic with well over 30 years experience, so all of those things would have been looked at before I bought it. And yes it was "restored" (a very loose term, and back yard at best) that long ago, which for this particular owner meant it came out of the garage maybe twelve times, not including him washing it.
I am prepared to fix what needs to be fixed on a VW. I looked at this more like buying a house...it had good bones. Starting with a not too long ago top end build on the engine (by someone I know), a 5 speed transaxle, long tube secondaries exhaust, clean and correct interior. So as it sits, can daily drive it and ready to go camping.

Besides, does anyone want to follow a build thread that says, I repacked my bearings today? Or, I rotated my tires, here's how i did it?

Sorry, I digress.

see... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493037

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611793

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748887&highlight=konquer

Besides the fridge works, so we'll have cold beer, even if we can't go anywhere.

Gordo.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

I noticed it has the front and rear has fillers- so it is a Syncro?

Please change the fuel lines, so many of these vans have burned.
http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

A good thread a WBX-specific maintenance is
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457174&highlight=maintenance

Congratulations!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Thanks.

No, not a syncro. Not sure what was going on there. But, I might utilize it as a diesel fill for the future heater. ??

Yes, fuel line have been replaced, but I still have a couple to do near the tank area. The ethanol is brutal on the old fuel lines.
With the price of fuel (in Canada anyways) what it is, I am most likely going to go with the CB Performance fuel injection. The Ghia that I installed it on turned out fantastic. I have been speaking with them about a single, dual 48mm throttle body a set of high flow ends would work on a 2.1L.

Gordo.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

I know someone who just put a Holley Sniper EFI on a Type IV air-cooled.
It’s running on a stand,will know more on well it works after full install.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Welcome to the Vanagon forum! Your wife is a keeper.

Don’t mind Dave. He is old and cranky…. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Great wheel and stance combo !
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I know someone who just put a Holley Sniper EFI on a Type IV air-cooled.
It’s running on a stand,will know more on well it works after full install.

I have been involved in builds (mostly American hotrod stuff) with the Holley Sniper kit and some of their other products. They work really well when you pair all of the Holley stuff together. Not so well when you try and get Holley to play nice with other bits. Very finicky TPS signal sensitivity .
Just my experience though.

For me, the option of being able to have the Boys at CB Performance tune mine over an internet connection anywhere in the world is a big bonus.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

So the Westy has been running well. Had to replace the water pump. It was loose and noisy, but I wasn't loosing coolant yet...odd.

The plans to outfit this to suit our camping needs have been ramped up a bit with the good weather we have been experiencing in the Okanagan. This has lead to a bit of a shopping spree. The recent purchases are: BFG K02s to go with the Go Westy lift springs and Bilstien shocks, 2 Renogy 100W flexible solar panels and a 30A MPPT DC/DC charger, a Chinese Diesel Heater, and to top it all off a SYNCNO decal to go with my 2WD decals.

I spent a fare bit of time trying to find the best location for the diesel heater and its fuel tank. Looking specifically for an area where I would not lose much storage space and , especially for the tank location, an area where I do not have to be pouring fuel inside the van. So I thought about the rear storage cabinet. The A/C compressor had already been removed due to the dual carbs, and not being r134a compliant I was most likely not going to reinstall it. So I removed the evaporator, fans, harness and hoses. By doing this I gained about 4" of space in the rear cabinet, as well as an arms depth of space in the upper rear. The space in th rear cabinet left me room for the diesel tank, plus it could be filled from the rear. I could also inspect the fuel level without having to unpack.

The piece of trim was even the right length to be put back on, finishing the edge next to the tank. No changes to the shelving inside the cabinet either.

Now to start on the heater install.

Gordo.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Keep in touch when you decide to go south - I've been looking forward to Patagonia for too long.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Hi Clem:

My Dad used to like Red Skelton, so I recognized the reference in your Samba handle. I skimmed through your Splittie build thread here on the Samba and am duly impressed!

Regarding your request for a few Vanagon Westfalia pointers, I thought I would share a couple here.

Of the various mods we have done to our '86 Syncro Westy, my wife and I really appreciated having the TF-65 Truckfridge reefer I installed:

In the pic below, you can see that installing the TF-65 allowed me to add a drawer under the reefer:

Assuming you will use an exterior spare tire holder, the old spare tire location becomes available for yet more storage. Here's a thread in which the topic was amply discussed, with lots of pics:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I like my SVX engine swap too, but I see you are sticking with the WBX, which in the hands of a good mechanic, can be made into a nice little powerplant.

The WBX really comes alive with a bit more cam and a lot more compression, which you can get away with if using an aftermarket EFI system with a knock sensor. Have a look at some of the postings by jberger like this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563283&highlight=berger

I like your custom CDH diesel tank installation. I chickened out and put my CDH tank in the engine compartment, afraid of a diesel spill in the Van. I put a lot of thought into the CDH location and installed it here, under the back seat, after removing the factory heater:

I have an insulated aluminum cover (not shown) that completely encloses the CDH so that I can stack things over top of it without fear of fire or melting.

I used to power electrical draws with a lead-acid deep cycle battery and solar panels, but with my 280 Amp/hour LiFePo4 battery and DC-DC charger, I can now leave the panels at home unless we stay in one spot a long time or we have another heat dome. Here's my house battery now (plexiglass battery cover removed for service):

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:

No, not a syncro. Not sure what was going on there.

So is there a tank in there or not? High on my list is an 18 gallon aux tank in that spot for my 2WD. I would think for your planned trip, a westy tank or equivalent for extra range would be essential. That's the equivalent of 4 jerry cans mounted on the rear bumper.

Duncan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

1988 Vanagon Westfalia!!!!

I know , it's water-cooled , but it's still kinda cool...

Gordo.

Nice Vanagon. Thanks for bringing your style of work to the Vanagon forum even if Vanagons are only kinda cool. Very Happy

Holy freakin' Toledo. We don't get much of this round these parts (a home made heated steering wheel is the closest we've gotten).

2km? Did you replace the fuel lines? Cool

Neato

More neato

Thanks for the pleasant diversion through your build threads.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

No, not a syncro. Not sure what was going on there.

So is there a tank in there or not? High on my list is an 18 gallon aux tank in that spot for my 2WD. I would think for your planned trip, a westy tank or equivalent for extra range would be essential. That's the equivalent of 4 jerry cans mounted on the rear bumper.

Duncan

No, there is no Tank in there either. It seems s though who ever did the resto on it just used some syncro panels. I think if you want the tank too, there is a tonne more work to do.
Though I like the idea of more gas, I will let you try to do it first.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

1988 Vanagon Westfalia!!!!

I know , it's water-cooled , but it's still kinda cool...

Gordo.

Nice Vanagon. Thanks for bringing your style of work to the Vanagon forum even if Vanagons are only kinda cool. Very Happy

Holy freakin' Toledo. We don't get much of this round these parts (a home made heated steering wheel is the closest we've gotten).

2km? Did you replace the fuel lines? Cool

Neato

More neato

Thanks for the pleasant diversion through your build threads.

Wow... I am honoured that you had a look at my Split stuff. It just shows what can be accomplished when you have more time than money and just enough skill to start you down the path.
That build has always been about form. The Westy will always be about function, with a touch of form.

Thanks, Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hi Clem:

My Dad used to like Red Skelton, so I recognized the reference in your Samba handle. I skimmed through your Splittie build thread here on the Samba and am duly impressed!

Regarding your request for a few Vanagon Westfalia pointers, I thought I would share a couple here.

Of the various mods we have done to our '86 Syncro Westy, my wife and I really appreciated having the TF-65 Truckfridge reefer I installed:

In the pic below, you can see that installing the TF-65 allowed me to add a drawer under the reefer:

Assuming you will use an exterior spare tire holder, the old spare tire location becomes available for yet more storage. Here's a thread in which the topic was amply discussed, with lots of pics:

I like my SVX engine swap too, but I see you are sticking with the WBX, which in the hands of a good mechanic, can be made into a nice little powerplant.

The WBX really comes alive with a bit more cam and a lot more compression, which you can get away with if using an aftermarket EFI system with a knock sensor. Have a look at some of the postings by jberger like this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563283&highlight=berger

I like your custom CDH diesel tank installation. I chickened out and put my CDH tank in the engine compartment, afraid of a diesel spill in the Van. I put a lot of thought into the CDH location and installed it here, under the back seat, after removing the factory heater:

I have an insulated aluminum cover (not shown) that completely encloses the CDH so that I can stack things over top of it without fear of fire or melting.

I used to power electrical draws with a lead-acid deep cycle battery and solar panels, but with my 280 Amp/hour LiFePo4 battery and DC-DC charger, I can now leave the panels at home unless we stay in one spot a long time or we have another heat dome. Here's my house battery now (plexiglass battery cover removed for service):

Thank you for all the suggestions and links. The Truck Fridge has been on my radar, but we have only camped in it once this year, so it is difficult to judge our needs yet.
I like the battery set up you've got. I opted for the front lower cupboard for our battery location as I mounted the Renogy Charge controller and the Inverter on the front side of that cupboard, behind the driver's seat. Only the lower section of that cupboard was used. It houses the battery, the shore charger and the breakers. This kept them all in close proximity to the starter battery and the bulkhead for the solar panels (gowesty solar connection box). A separate fuse box under the rear seat feeds the house power to all the usb outlets.

Pics to follow.

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Here is the Westy in our back yard all prepped for our first sleep in it. We chose to sleep upstairs. I had a few issues with that. We have a 3" memory foam mattress topper, that took up all of my size 13 foot space and being 6'2", I found it a tad short...not to mention the thought of loosing my pillow in the night had me grasping it firmly all night. I think upstairs will be for the Grandkids.

A few extras arrived for it too.

The CDH location under the rear seat.

And the fuel line is pushed through at the bottom of the rear closet. I know some will say not to use the hose that came with the unit, but on the pressure side is hard plastic, the suction side is fine with it.

Next post will have some shots of the Renogy system installed location.

Gordo.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Very nice.

As for the upper bunk I have a 1"x6" piece of pine with a cushion and fabric that spans the open end of the top bunk so it has extra depth for my 6'4" height and my son can sleep up there at 6' 7". He uses a cargo net attached to the upper bunk and clamps it to the H lift bar so the pillow cannot escape. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian White Westy House Build Reply with quote

Throw thewebers into the nearest grill in the street after you’ve sourced and bought all the FI stuff.

In the meantime, enjoy your Bus!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: