Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

International Shipping
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: International Shipping Reply with quote

Please post all questions, comments, and experiences regarding international shipping in this thread.

Thanks,
Bubs
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HUAman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought I would post here my experiences with shipping to New Zealand.
Over the last month I have been importing the parts needed to finish off my 68 bug, most of the parts I have got have been thru CIP. I picked them because I found there site to be very professional and easy to use, I wasnt keen on picking the cheapest place around and then getting done over...kinda hard to fight back with a company when you thousands of miles away.

My first order was small, didnt want to spend to much just incase it all turned to shit..this way I wouldnt lose much if it did. I set myself a limit of $500 NZ including shipping. So I started looking thru the site picking things that where small in size but would add to the progress of the project. Most of the order was made up of Body and engine rubbers pretty much enough to replace all of the rubbers on the car and a set of Chrome T bars. In the end I had an order of about $505 NZ..with shipping at a total of about $143 US which is about $201 NZ. This kinda freaked me out and I was thinking shit this is going to cost me a fortune. I placed the order anyway ( I thought F@$K it if I dont I will piss around for ever and never finish the car )

After a few E-mails from the guys at CIP just to confirm my payment and shipping details the order was shipped. I was sent the tracking info from CIP so I could track the packages via FEDEX's website and within 3 days the goods were here at my door. Thats from Cali to Wellington NZ in 3 Days!!! I was stoked!! Since then I have done 2 more orders, with the same service and time frame.

The last order I made was a big one. It included:
4 Riviera Rims
1 Weber 34 Ict carb Kit
2 Heater Boxes
1 Merged Bugpac Header
1 Hide Our Muffler

1 Alternator conversion kit
1 Rear disc brake kit
1 SVDA dizzy
and other assorted peices like fuel pump, books , hardware etc.

A total of about $3800 NZ including shipping
I think shipping was around the $1000 NZ mark this time

This time UPS was used, after a longer delay in the order process, due to the size of the order ( which you would expect ) it was shipped aprox 5 days after it was placed. I was sent tracking numbers Via e-mail so I could see where everything was. Packages arrived in NZ 3 days after they were shipped, upon arrival I was called by a UPS rep, due to the COST in NZ$ of the order I was subject to import taxes. Anything over 1000$ NZ you pay 12.5% in GST ( goods and services tax ) I wasnt expecting this!!!!!! ( $546NZ I think ) I also needed to apply for a Importer Code at a cost of $30 NZ. So that takes my total to around $4300 NZ which is alot for what I get..but I guess thats what you have to pay to keep your beloved VW on the road.

This has been a real learning curve for me, I have never done anything like this as far as importing goods is concerned. If paying that much more in shipping and dollar for dollar to the USA means it takes me and extra 3 months to finish my car then im happy with that...coz dealing with new clean shiney parts is GREAT!!!

So to anyone out there from NZ or Aussie or anywhere for that matter thinking about buying some gear from the states..DO IT you wont be disappointed, take the plunge. Stick with well known companys..or people who have a very good rep and you'll be sweet. Shipping will be the biggest cost but to be able to get your parts in 3 days is fantastic!.

My next task is to buy from the UK and compare how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Regards
Josh
Wellington
New Zealand
tedz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huaman, I too have shipped from Cali to NZ, although a slightly different shipping arrangment.

My order was through CB Performance for a case, barrels & pistons, crank, rods, cam, heads and a duel 44 carb kit. coming to around $2500 US dollars.

I got CB's to ship to a Kiwi guy who imports cars and parts out of Cali into NZ. He basically ships out when he has a container full, so you can wait 4 to 6 weeks, but the shipping was around NZ$120 plus GST.

CB's were great to deal with, phoned the order through on a Sat morning which was Friday arvo over there. They needed a written statement to send the order to a place other than the purchasers address, which was faxed through to them.

So all up no problems with buying from Cali, and would do so again without hesitation.

Cheers Tedz.
Pukekohe, Auckland
New Zealand.
HUAman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tedz,

$120!!!! Hmmm might have to talk to you about hooking me up with that guy, Im looking at getting a Narrowed Beam, Dropped Spindles, and a Disc brake kit for the front..But as I dont need them in a hurry waiting 4-6 weeks isnt that bigga deal, and for that kinda Money I'd be happy waiting.

I got my lastest Order from the states yesterday, 10 boxes in total and took around 10 days to get here thats from the time I placed the order on the net to getting here In NZ. Which I thought was pretty good for the size of the
order.

Cheers
Josh
Poor Realist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever does shipping, don't forget the cost of getting it off the boat, through customs, the "general" fees, then you have tax on top of all that. Yippee.... Still worth it for what I'm moving.
funbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: int shippinfg and orders Reply with quote

Very Happy yes, cip1.com, cb performance, actionimport. they are very good to buy from

we have a company who make excursions with beach buggy's for more than 15 years now in the Dominican Republic.

Shame on you Don't buy from btlmex inc.,http://www.btlmex.com/, what a waist of time, they don't answer you when you want more info on the status of your order, and if you try hard, they just cancel it, very bad service. I tried for two months to buy, some lifters, for the late 1600 mex engines. No succes
:2gunfire: :2gunfire:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne Pipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this quite sometime ago. It lists everything you need to do to import into the UK.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95180

It's very comprehensive
...:::AircooledBjorn:::..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a very good company who carries cargo all over the world! I did business with hem many times and he is VW addict aswell. His company is called ZZImport and carries bij sea and air...

Let me know if you need some info!

Cheers Bjorn! Wink
SVW-054
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Shipping delays - USA to Australia Reply with quote

Well I finally made my first international purchase a while ago, ordered a set of pistons & cylinders from a shop in California, to be sent to Australia.

I took the cheap option 4-6 week shipping with USPS, I thought no rush as I won't be building the motor for some time yet.

That was 9 weeks ago and I still haven't seen em yet. I emailed the seller around the 6 week mark, to be told don't worry they usually are a bit late. They can't track it since I took the slow shipping so he has no way of finding out via USPS.

As I said its not urgent as I'm not building the motor for ages but its just that I'm getting anxious about the parts actually getting here as they are so late. My card was billed the day I was told they would be shipped so as far as I know the shop did their bit.

Anyone else have similar problems?? Do I have reason for concern??
Nectar_F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping delays - USA to Australia Reply with quote

SVW-054 wrote:
Well I finally made my first international purchase a while ago, ordered a set of pistons & cylinders from a shop in California, to be sent to Australia.

I took the cheap option 4-6 week shipping with USPS, I thought no rush as I won't be building the motor for some time yet.

That was 9 weeks ago and I still haven't seen em yet. I emailed the seller around the 6 week mark, to be told don't worry they usually are a bit late. They can't track it since I took the slow shipping so he has no way of finding out via USPS.

As I said its not urgent as I'm not building the motor for ages but its just that I'm getting anxious about the parts actually getting here as they are so late. My card was billed the day I was told they would be shipped so as far as I know the shop did their bit.

Anyone else have similar problems?? Do I have reason for concern??

MAte no need for concirn yet. I have bought stuff and had it shipped the same way, and they get here either after 5 weeks or 10 weeks......Dont know where they get the 4-6 from.....I was sweating over a pair of 4.5 fuchs a while ago, but got them in the end...

One question for anyone to answer, WHo could/should I use to ship a car from Cali to Melbourne Australia (have posted this in General, but no answers!)

N!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SVW-054
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Late Shipping Reply with quote

Thanks Nectar. Still waiting, its 11 weeks now with no sign of the p&c's, maybe they will arrive at 15 weeks, as it seems to be in multiples of 5 weeks! The freight people should be more upfront, this is ridiculous.
Cheers,
Greg
Errol1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: shipping. Reply with quote

I don't know about shipping. I sent an e-mail to CIP 1 about the avalible distributor for my car. havn't received a reply. can't comment on shipping if they don't respond to me. Anyone have any dealings with CB Performance Parts. I live in Canada. I'd rather deal with a Canadian company. Get away with the border and custon hastles. Looking for a SVDA ( Bosch 205 ) dist. Anyone know of a Canadian company seling same.?? Confused
bedjo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered some engine parts from US and dell from italy. All devided in three shipment. All of them was shipped with economy 4 - 6 months. But actually I wasn't receive the parts untill 8 - 10 weeks. So don't worry to much. Your parts will arrive..

regards
THERE IS A BRM WHEEL REPLICA AVAILABLE VERY CHEAP IN INDONESIA
sudndeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the thread and thought it applied for what i am going through. Here is a quote for a sea container with 1 non running and one running (It would be the same if both were not rolling) car picked up from my home here in germany. I will also post my quote for roll on roll off too: If you read you can due a shared container and put stuff in the cars. If the only thing is paying at Long Beach....Does any one know how much that is?
www.autoshipping.de

Please kindly note fllwg. quotation :

1.) pick-up at Kaiserslautern US$ 320,00 per Bug

2.) autobahn toll US$ 25,00 per Bug

3.) loading into container US$ 300,00 per Bug

4.) Port fees and port security US$ 230,00

5.) Oceanfreight to Long Beach US$ 1.800,00/40'

6.) Bunkeroil-surcharge US$ 634,00/40'

7.) port fees at Long Beach US$ 500,00/40'

8.) port security at Long Beach US$ 100,00/40'
Whole transaction will take around 50 days from pick-up
at Kaiserlautern up to arrival at Long Beach.

Here is roll on off from different shipping company You have to drive to port: www.2wglobal.com

[i]Port of Loading: Bremerhaven

Port of Discharge: Port Hueneme, CA

Cargo: 1 VW Bug Car

612 kg

4.877 x 2.134 x 1.829 m

Ocean Rate: 67 USD per cubic meter for cars above 1.60 m eight

Bunker surcharge: 38 % on ocean rate (depends on oil price at point of shipment)
Port charges Bremerh.: 130 EUR
Port charges Port H.: approximately 110 USD

Please note that no personal effects are allowed to be in the car.

Hope this helps anyone or gives you a good starting point for shipping from Germany to the states. Thanks to every one who helped me get the info on here. Sorry for the long post!
bam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANYONE know a good website or phone # to a worldwide auto transport that gives quotes relatively fast? I am trying to find out a quote from south africa to houston, TX.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd suggest calling a shipping broker close to the port in houston.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
i'd suggest calling a shipping broker close to the port in houston.

thanks uzi....any idea on price?
Messer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This is just the sort of information that I am looking for but I still have a couple of questions..

I am a newbee to both splitties and importing from other countries but am looking to import a bus requiring work from USA to UK (I live nr to liverpool, UK)

What are the implications of bringing a non runner/no MOT vehicle from USA to UK? Do they even have MOTs over in USA?

Also, I notice that TAX is payable on the purchase price of the bus? Whats to stop you obtaining a receipt of less value from the seller to bring down the tax?

Thanks
glandnut Premium Member
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone shipped to Africa from the states?
Fanie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Shipping to South Africa from the US Reply with quote

I shipped from CIP on several occasions.
What a pleasant experience as far as ordering and shipment from the US is concerned.

In SA I once received from FedEx (Exceptionally poor service) and a number of times from UPS (Exceptionally good service - well done UPS).
Just watch out for the import tax once it arrives in SA in about 5 to 7 days of ordering.

CIP provides an excellent tracking service which tells you exactly where your goods are at what time of the process.

The only problem I experienced was the basic shipping cost regardless of size and weight of any single order, but with good planning you can have fewer shipments with more products per shipment.

Mail or PM me for any further advice.

Fanie Jordaan - ZA

Also see the following post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213483
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: