Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The bucking Squareback.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessejamietig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: The bucking Squareback. Reply with quote

Last September my 1968 Squareback blew it’s motor 120 miles from home. Being in a total panic my wife and I decided to have it towed to the nearest town’s local VW shop to have the work done. Long story short we are not satisfied. The work took about six weeks, and two months later I found that I had a broken adjuster.

Now seven months after the initial repair I’d been having a bunch of problems with the car. It started bucking like crazy. At first it was only bucking on the freeway at high speeds. Then it started doing it around town. I took the car in to my local mechanic, who is a really nice guy and good mechanic, and he said there was a noise coming from the cooling fan or the crankshaft pulley. He also saw that the elbow for the heater pipe vents had fallen off not to be seen. He was on the phone with the mechanic in the town 120 miles away who did the work and suggested that we take the car back to him because it was still under warranty.

So we did end up driving the car back up north 120 miles bucking all the way to take it in. I already don’t like this guy as is and now I have to deal with him again. He keeps the car for two days, runs a bunch of tests and finally comes up with the conclusion that the cooling fan is bad and the engine had shown signs of over heating on the left side (the side that the elbow and duct work came off). He said he’d fix it under warranty and proceeded to keep the car for a week and a half. He ended up capping off the hot air blowing to the heater ducts to prevent further overheating.

Last Friday, my wife and I went back up to get the car. We picked it up everything seemed to run fine. In an effort to avoid Memorial Day traffic, we decided to stay at a family members house near by and leave early in the morning. Saturday morning we left early and the car was running fine for about the first 35 miles. Then it started bucking again. I do have to say the bucking wasn’t as bad this time. It wasn’t as constant, but it was still doing it.

Now I’m pissed. I’m going to take it to my local mechanic on Tuesday. I was just wondering if anyone new what might be causing this? Is the engine ruined due to overheating damage? Could it be something in the fuel system? I’m at a loss. Any insight would be wonderful.

Thank you
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The over heating didn't help it, but if it is not burning oil, I would say it is OK.
I would definately check the valve adjustment, and check the points and timing.
Is this car still fuel injected.?? Or has it been converted to carbs?

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jessejamietig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: bucking Reply with quote

The car is fuel injected. It doesn't appear to be burning oil.
jessejamietig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: bucking squareback update Reply with quote

Here's an update.

My wife called me and said the mechanic can't get to the car today. She went out around San Francisco today and ran a few errands. She called me and said it's running great. Now this makes me think it might be some kind of fuel problem and high speeds. Maybe a fuel pump, or bad injector?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: