Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket A/C units
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnciacci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

Sorry i meant mountains like this one i am behind the trucks maximum 45-50 in 3rd gear.

http://goo.gl/maps/oQCU

I think the electronic ignition slowed it dow a bit also!

SGKent wrote:
vw76westy wrote:
johnciacci wrote:
okay, ill leave it, its not hurting anything.

i thought 45-50 was standard for vw bus uphill!

well 45-50 mph if your in a 71 or older bus with a stock type-1 motor

but your bus should have a 2.0 motor and with the fi you should have no
problem going 75 all day long anywhere you go

the hill needs to be at least a 6%grade for a long time
to go that slow (basicly a mountain not a hill)

here is my bus with the exact same set up you have on yours

stock 2.0 type-4 motor with stock fuel injection
stock 091 trans

Link

don't forget to mention that speed burned a hole in the piston if I recall....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i blew a piston about 3000 miles later

thats why i said 75
not 95

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnciacci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an appointment with my SLO mechanic 18 June so we will remove the engine and tank and replace a couple things. I'm going to order some parts like the clutch kit and cables and fuel tank hose and any other things you suggest i change since the engine will be out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your planning on puting a/c
then now would be the time
to install the pully for the compressor
everything else for the a/c could be installed later

the pully goes behind the fan on type-4 engines

also just as a heads up
the pully & "bracket" (to mount compressor)
are the hardest things to find for the a/c system
9 times out of 10 youll find the system complete
except for these 2 parts

if you have not bought the a/c yet
find yourself a used a/c system
then buy a new compressor from gilmore (they are in florida)
or just buy a complete system from them

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
vw76westy wrote:
johnciacci wrote:

well 45-50 mph if your in a 71 or older bus with a stock type-1 motor

but your bus should have a 2.0 motor and with the fi you should have no
problem going 75 all day long anywhere you go

the hill needs to be at least a 6%grade for a long time
to go that slow (basicly a mountain not a hill)

here is my bus with the exact same set up you have on yours

stock 2.0 type-4 motor with stock fuel injection
stock 091 trans

Link

don't forget to mention that speed burned a hole in the piston if I recall....

Not to mention that is obviously a downhill grade. Any bus will coast downhill that fast with a tailwind. Even when idling. One other thing, there is no mention in any owners manual of a bus cruising at max speed ALL day long. What they printed back in those days wasn't to be taken quite literally. It's partly why so many dropped valve seats back then. Along with not checking the lash periodically as the manual states.
Bus12278
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Compact Underdash system! Reply with quote

This is probably one of the best way to put Air Conditioning in a bus. A compact evaporator unit under the dash. Both of these dealers carry them.

http://www.classicautoair.com/classic-under-dash-air-conditioner.html

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/...it-330.php
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Aftermarket AC Reply with quote

johnciacci wrote:

the local mechanic SoCal wouldn't really search to see what the problem is going uphills he is just a go to and fix it guy but a fully loaded camper with two adults and a baby and luggage is probable 3750lbs total.

I'm taking the bus back to SLO to Broad Street VPA they are Go Westys #1 go to. They installed the fuel pump/filter, starter/solenoid and changed the main lead from the battery to the starter and added a pertronix electronic ignition 2 weeks ago.

Now i will go back to get the gas tank removed and cleaned, replace the clutch kit, throttle and clutch cables and inspect the FI system.

I might have a vacuum problem based on my copper fuel line broke 3 weeks ago on the left side and i replace it with fuel pressure grade hose that was 2.5" long now it's 1" long.

Check your weight numbers again. Unladen my Westy 72 (tintop) weighs roughly 3700+. Now add two adults. kid/s, luggage, full fuel etc. the weight can easily hit 2.5 tons. With a bone stock 2.0 (which mine doesn't have) even that's a lot weight given the horsepower output of the motor.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the topic of AC has come up. I really want to cool down my bus interior. I'm getting window tint in a week or two and want to add AC.

My bus is a little different, as it's powered by a 97 TDI engine.

My question is -- given tinted windows, how cold could the stock or a gilmore system get the interior? i.e. If it's 100*F outside, can it get the driver area to 70*F? or ?

If not, what custom upgrades would be needed?

Thanks!
Mark
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's expensive to do these conversions. It's unfortunate that the conversion losses would make an electric compressor pointless... mechanical ->electrical->mechanical is a waste of time. Probably one of the few advantages of having a motor in front of the driver. Wink

Has anyone tried their hand at making their own kit up, or is it not cost-effective either? I mean, A/C is not exactly rocket science.

V-belt compressor - $200

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Air-04808-VUA-Double-Compressor/dp/B002VVXA4E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

Condensor - $73:

http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-CF1127-New-Conditioni...+condenser

Evaporator-$68:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-1054811-Evap...evaporator

Accumulator - $28:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-10071-Accumulator...s=ac+dryer

And then you'll need the copper lines/fittings, and probably a fan for the condensor too. All of the above is $370 shipped. The copper tubing is probably $1.50/foot, 20 feet is $30...I imagine this setup could be done for $450 flat.

The real issue is, no matter what you do, where the hell does one find a crankshaft pulley with two grooves? I just spent twenty minutes looking for one, and the only option is $250 serpentine belt systems. How did the original system work? Did it just use a single larger V-belt?

...of course, my vent windows work just fine for me, so I'm just shooting the breeze, so to speak. A/C is just one more thing to go wrong when I have all these other things to contend with. Wink

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
J K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post... and it's on the A/C thread Razz I know you VW enthusiasts probably cringe when a newbie comes on whining about getting the bus cool, but I'm curious if there has been any other developments on this issue. I've been searching the forum and the Gilmore units seem to get the most favorable reviews. I've been in contact with them and will most likely go this route. I'm really just looking for something to take the edge off. I don't have expectations of getting the interior to a cool 70 on a sunny mid-90's afternoon, but would like something to provide some relief for the front two passengers such that the bus could be used regularly.

One question I have is with respect to the "factory" A/C. Were these really factory, or a dealer add on, and did they have multiple outlets? It looks like there is an overhead unit that has vents for the front seats and then something for the rear. Or was the factory option just front vents? Or both depending on year? I'm asking because Gilmore has an option to have 2 evaporators and vents in the back, or somewhere towards the rear and was curious if anyone has experience with this or if there was a factory option similar and if so, where the vents were placed.

I'm having a 1977 2 liter with original fuel injection restored and since it's a complete restoration, thought it would be an ideal time to add this. Any thoughts if it were your bus?
lugo2214
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
Over 30 years in the biz heard good things... they're in San Diego:

http://www.iceac.com/

Specifically for VWs, too!

X100
Waiting on my kit
Great looking kit
Super cold

I have great expectations
Cool
003 Auto Trans 😆/😣
Dual Empi 44
009 Ignition
Ice Auto Air A/C kit 50% installed

Last edited by lugo2214 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
lugo2214
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugo2214 wrote:
chabanais wrote:
Over 30 years in the biz heard good things... they're in San Diego:

http://www.iceac.com/

Specifically for VWs, too!

X100
Waiting on my kit
Great looking kit
Super cold

I have great expectations
Cool

http://iceautoair.com/vwbus1.html

This is the kit I'm waiting on with some compressor hose mods to keep the out of the engine bay unlike the instructions shown on page 8 & 18
003 Auto Trans 😆/😣
Dual Empi 44
009 Ignition
Ice Auto Air A/C kit 50% installed
Daralyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

heronm wrote:
I've looked at http://www.vintageair.com/ for a kit to go into the VW bus. Living in Florida, it gets smoking in the summer. I would like to drive the bus year round and not have my clothes glued to my body from sweat.

Anyone had luck in researching this option?

Hi Heronm,

Many years have passed. Did you ever get an AC in your bus? If so, how well did it hold up in FL?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

click on his name, and you can see he was last on this site on oct 25. 2005. He sold that hot bus!! Laughing
Daralyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
click on his name, and you can see he was last on this site on oct 25. 2005. He sold that hot bus!! Laughing

Thanks! I found a place in Tampa, FL that does it and has always installed the Gilmore...was hoping for feedback from anyone in FL that's tried this AC here in this inferno h*ll...I appreciate you pointing out the guy sold, still wonder if he ever did try.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

Daralyn wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Thanks! I found a place in Tampa, FL that does it and has always installed the Gilmore...was hoping for feedback from anyone in FL that's tried this AC here in this inferno h*ll...I appreciate you pointing out the guy sold, still wonder if he ever did try.

I used the ICE kit for a client. very impressed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659687&highlight=adding+++subaru

Gilmore (though I have zero experience with) looked too "afterthought" to me. the ICE is a copy of the VoA set up sold back when these were new

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:

Has anyone tried their hand at making their own kit up, or is it not cost-effective either? I mean, A/C is not exactly rocket science.

V-belt compressor - $200
Condensor - $73:
Evaporator-$68:
Accumulator - $28:
And then you'll need the copper lines/fittings, and probably a fan for the condensor too. All of the above is $370 shipped. The copper tubing is probably $1.50/foot, 20 feet is $30...I imagine this setup could be done for $450 flat.

The real issue is, no matter what you do, where the hell does one find a crankshaft pulley with two grooves? I just spent twenty minutes looking for one, and the only option is $250 serpentine belt systems. How did the original system work? Did it just use a single larger V-belt?

The best thing about a kit is convenience.. I started to put A/C in my 71 bus using a dealer installed overhead evaporator unit. Everything else was pieced together from a few other sources. I haven't personally finished and I doubt I will before I sell my bus.. but a few things I will mention:
You can piece together an A/C system from single components ordered from anywhere, and when it's all assembled and running I'm sure you can theoretically get cold air blowing inside the bus/car/whatever. BUT. When you buy things premade for your specific application, the install goes from a million questions and tons of goof-ups to "which bolt do I use here?"
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

Daralyn wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Here in Puerto Rico, hot as hell. No complaines with Gilmore.
Ranger Kuma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: BUS A/C units Reply with quote

Well, tried to reply/email direct to other members but "New Members" not allowed I guess?? Was looking for info on installing an AC unit in a 73 camper van/bus. I'm out above Vegas/St George, UT and am looking at a 2.5 Subaru powered bus with a Subaru compressor but the bus doesn't have any AC plumbing. Would just prefer to have it installed somewhere instead of trying to do it myself. Any ideas, parts (like the roof Y units and/or underdash units), and mechanics to do the work would be appreciated. Thanx.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket A/C units Reply with quote

ask around for a vw shop in your area

the install is a bit miserable but nothing a vw shop shouldn't be able to handle

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: