Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do to fix my bus
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: What to do to fix my bus Reply with quote

So i'm wondering what to do. Should i get a donor part for the whole side (corner included) or should i fix it with different part from CIP1 or WolfBurgWest?

i figured i could fix the hole with a square metal sheet, rear corner with WW's, and wheel well (there's a hole there too) with WW's too.

I'm wondering what would be best. My vent is in perfect shape, so it would be kinda pointless to replace it (considering i get the whole side replaced).

All this would be done by a bodyworker, not sure who yet, but i should figure it out soon enough. I just wanna know what to ask the bodyworker before calling him

Rear corner :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Side :

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New lower corner, new battery trays, flat patch above the wheelwell. Appears that water got behind the bondo at the wheelwell hole and caused surface rust. In that location you will need to cut out a fair amount of metal in order to get to some good strong steel so you have something to weld to.

It might be a good idea to have the "questionable" areas of that bus media blasted so you know what you've got to work with.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the reflection,

Girl with beverage? Shocked

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
I like the reflection,

Girl with beverage? Shocked

my gf with hand on her back Very Happy

all the bondo we removed got us to the strong metal, shiny and all (well, at least, not crunchy).

I'm really considering getting a whole side donor part, but I dont really like the idea to cut a bus. On another hand, its a huge freaking hole.

Just how high would a Wheel well from Wolfsburg west go to? maybe i could use that and another flat metal sheet to replace the hole?

Also, the rear corner, i know you can buy em, and i've seen what metalWiz did with one on his site, but not sure it would be high enough to replace all the rust, right?

i'm getting those picture on paper tonight and will most likely visit a bodyworker that did a bus for a friend and see what he think of it. Kinda scared of the job involved. Oddly enough, the battery tray look fairly solid (But i guess it isnt considering the rust).
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also inside the wheel well (not sure how you call it in english), i think i saw on schofield that he makes that part, but is it available anywhere in America? i tried wolfburg international, and they got nothing.
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a similar repair on metwiz's site ...

panels clipped behind the reinforcements so you can't see the repair from the inside ... genious

Check out the April '05 archive, 56 sunroof for more pix
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rescue912 wrote:
Here is a similar repair on metwiz's site ...

http://www.metwiz.com/archived/2005/apr05/56sunroof/0305%2017.jpg

panels clipped behind the reinforcements so you can't see the repair from the inside ... genious

Check out the April '05 archive, 56 sunroof for more pix

just looked at it, seems pretty much like what i'll have to do.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after much though , and a deeper look at my finance, i decided not to go with a donor just yet (anyway its hard as hell to get a complete corner).

so i'll do some patching until money isnt so much of an issue (hopefully next summer).

So what i'll do is first try to stop the rust from working its way around the bus with some Rust Bullet.

for the hole, i think i'll try to clean as much rust as possible, maybe remove all the bondo, and paint it with rust bullet. I might fix it temporary with a sheet of metal and some rivet. It's not gonna be the prettiest thing, but if it can make it run, it will do.

i'll fix the wheel well as best as possible. Shouldnt be too hard to get the correct bend to replace it.

it's definately not what i was hoping for, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: