Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on replacing seat track?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jps1145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Tips on replacing seat track? Reply with quote

My '66 is under construction and the pan is in pretty good shape except for the seat tracks. I've seen plenty of replacement pan sections that have the seat tracks, but I only need the track itself. Does anyone have a source for those? I'm also looking for tips for replacing them. Is there anything tricky about popping the old ones off and welding the new ones back in?
Thanks,
-John
My Baja
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, just find the spotwelds, drill them out and plug weld the tracks onto your existing pan.

If it were my project, i would tack one side, install the seat and THEN tack the other side. double check the tracks for parallelism before fully welding them up or the seat will bind.
jps1145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
parallelism

Now there is a $.25 word!

Thanks a bunch for the tip. I didn't think of setting the seat in place. I would have just used a tape, but the seat may bey a little out of parallel as well...
My Baja
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this a couple months ago. If you can find a set of original tracks out of a donor. I made the mistake of buying replacement tracks. I had to cut the tracks in half because they were about half an inch to narrow. The top lip was also to wide and wouldn't allow the seat to clear the latch mechanism. The teeth on the latch mechanism were also to wide and had to be modified. I think that was all I had to do to modify them to get them to work!

Mike
59 single, 66 bug, 69 bus, 73 super
Member of the Ddk
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the seat frame rails aren't parellel then you'll have to bend them straight. They have to be parallel or the seat won't move right.

Thanks for the compliment on the word. I take Paypal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: