Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just finsihed my first pain job!!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Just finsihed my first pain job!! Reply with quote

Well, as of the middle of the day today, I finished my first paint job. A complete to-bare-metal PPG Delstar in Zenith Blue job on my 1966 beetle. I just graduated and have been working on this car for two years while juggling school, athletics, a job, girlfriend ect. Not bragging, just satisfied and proud. Thank you to everyone here for answering my questions along the way as well as future ones i'm sure. BTW, I will have a barely used SATA RP for sale soon for 300 obo. Thanks alot
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Good for you! I hope you were able to put a lot of material on it so in years to come you have something to work with. That is what I have done with all my keepers and they last and last or shine and shine. Now you still have lots of work to do in assembly. But, you have a lot of time since you are out of school. But, I hope you have a job lined up. That way you can pay for all the new parts you need to put on it!

Here's my last paint:
http://www2.190slgroup.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2081&highlight=Cow+tipping
http://www2.190slgroup.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2113&highlight=Wow+Wee

Now wish me luck as I throughly prepped our 85 Westy and took it a Maaco as their jobs look so good. It is not a show car. But, I read horror stories here. I'll post pics next week.

It feels pretty good to have done the job, doesn't it?
Do you have pics?
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I was able to get three full coats on all the surfaces except the roof, I figured it would have the least likely paint chips, however, I'm a little worried about that being enough to prevent sun burning over the years, if I bought more color, what would I have to do to apply anther coat? Thanks
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My painter said you had 72 hours for more coats. When we did the bottom of my car over a weekend he said the paints would bond. One half on Saturday the other on Sunday. We used PPG Concept (Urethane) in Single Stage. Ask the place you bought the paint from what to do. You may just wet sand with ??? grit (400 - 800??) and squirt.

As an aside I have gotten AWSOME results using such a technique. Paint, sand and paint again. You get all the inperfections out. Use a guide coat though.

Best of luck, Walt...
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Was this a garage paint job?
You will be able to apply another coat if you wish as long as it is in the flash time of that paint. Where you bought the paint from, they will be able to advise you on that.

What size tip does your Sata have?

I might be intrested in purchasing it..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: