Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

Starting to think about doing the restore of my 65 (many more questions on that at a later date). I'm thinking about the hinges and the paint jobs my dad used to do. If I remember correctly he would leave the hinges assembled, pin in, when he painted. However, I do remember cracking paint on the hinge in the years to come. So what is the best method? It seems that painting the doors off the car would be best, but can you really re-assemble the hinges without damaging the paint?
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reassembly is not the hard part. Getting them out is where you will have a problem. If your doors are not sagging or you have no play in the hinges with the door open; pushing up and down then leave them alone.

I painted one car on and another off, both with doors off the car. Both worked out for me. I can tell you that if you paint them on and your paint is too think you will have a problem. VW had a very tight fit between the two hinges and it varies in thickness as the door swings.
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

I have raw metal hinges to replace a set of broken ones, How should I prep them to not rust? Should I paint or powder coat before install?

Submariner
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

kjono09 wrote:
I have raw metal hinges to replace a set of broken ones, How should I prep them to not rust? Should I paint or powder coat before install?

I have the same question...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

Any further input on this topic?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

As a previous post said, if the paint is too thick you are going to have a problem. The way the hinge pivots, it rolls over itself. On my car I left the existing paint on because I thought it was too much trouble to try and dig all the paint out. Painted over the top of the existing paint. After it was dry I opened and closed doors and it tore my new paint off. I don't have an answer to the question of whether to remove them completely, but I can tell you that if I ever do this again I will strip down to bare metal and paint.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OtisGore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

Thanks Bob Smile
bomberbob wrote:
As a previous post said, if the paint is too thick you are going to have a problem. The way the hinge pivots, it rolls over itself. On my car I left the existing paint on because I thought it was too much trouble to try and dig all the paint out. Painted over the top of the existing paint. After it was dry I opened and closed doors and it tore my new paint off. I don't have an answer to the question of whether to remove them completely, but I can tell you that if I ever do this again I will strip down to bare metal and paint.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

If you have hinges that are bare metal i would just spray a coat of etch primer (you can get it in a spray can) on it. It has no build and is very thin. Fine to put on bare metal too.
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: painting door hinges - on the car,off the car...? Reply with quote

Seems like more and more new oversized and now mostly double oversized pins are needed to truly get doors to align and function as good as most restorations demand. Last Beetle in was a 61 Rag. Both doors had been "sprung" so alignment was best if we pulled the original pins after straightening out the door shells/hinge rivet areas, straighten loose hinges, ream holes, install new pins and then double check alignment. I've painted more Bugs with original pins in than with new pins installed. I've had to install new pins only after finding excess weight of body filler messed up the alignment capabilities of borderline/iffy/old pin and customers hoping to not spend too much. Anymore EVERY job is twice as much work as it was 20 years ago. I just do new pins and forget about worrying whether it should be done or if the doors will align after paint. TLDR.... Pull doors. Install new pins. Install and align doors. Paint body. Only thing I recommend is to mask off the threads for mirrors. Put grease on threads to block water from causing stains.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: