Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on cleaning glass
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Question on cleaning glass Reply with quote

I am currently working on prettying up the bus, got the paint all polished and waxed and all, but now to the glass...

The glass has this hazy film over it, especially the back window. I'm curious if anyone has advice on how to remove the haze. Where I removed a couple of stickers there is no haze - very clean glass. Makes the rest look terrible!

I've tried cleaners - no effect.

I've tried scraping with a razor blade - some effect, but to get it all would be an outrageous amount of work.

I thought of trying rubbing compound or polishing compound on it, but definitely do not want to scratch the glass.

So - what is the best way to restore tha glass?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought that the haze was caused by moisture getting in between the laminates of the glass...if that is the case, there may be no fixing your problem...did you try oven cleaner? (bad for rubber seals, though)

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Barkeepers friend, get it at the grocery store, it's in a gold colored can. The stuff is the very best for cleaning windows, chrome, etc.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobrakes wrote:
Try Barkeepers friend, get it at the grocery store, it's in a gold colored can. The stuff is the very best for cleaning windows, chrome, etc.

Is that like Bon Ami -- a "soft" abrasive cleanser? I could try that.

The haze is not in the glass, I know that. It's on the surface. Easy to tell, since where the stickers were is clear as, well, glass.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pennywise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing I have found for glass is Duragloss. And either use a buffer (be careful) or polish by hand, then wipe off. It makes the glass look new (unless there is pitting, but still makes it clear as ever).
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pennywise wrote:
The best thing I have found for glass is Duragloss. And either use a buffer (be careful) or polish by hand, then wipe off. It makes the glass look new (unless there is pitting, but still makes it clear as ever).

I checked out the Duragloss web site (http://www.duragloss.com/), and they have a whole range of products. I don't expect you're talking about he glass cleaner, which looks more or less like Windex. Which Duragloss product did you have in mind? The metal polish?
Pennywise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The label says Duragloss 755 and Nu-Glass. It is almost like a liquid wax in consistency. I picked it up at Wal-Mart I believe a few years ago and has lasted for quite awhile.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the particulars. I'll go a-hunting for it!
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your back glass is not laminated, only your windsheild is (unless it a early euro model) so the haze is on the surface. It can be polished out with cerium oxide and the correct pad (eastwood sells them and CRL)

I recommond that it be off the car when you polish, it can make a mess.

PM me with any questions, I am a glazier by trade.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OVLWNDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some of the recipes at the attached link. Ammonia works great on cigarette residue. Never use an abbrasive.

http://doityourself.com/clean/glass.htm[url]
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Cerium oxide Reply with quote

Try to get some Cerium Oxide.
It is a fine powder, and it has 2 types (Brown and white).
Generally both suits your application.
Mix it with water and buff it carefully with an electric buffer, or do it wiping and rubbing by hand.
This is used by OEM autoglass manufacturers to fix small surface (not edge) defects.

My 2 cents

Julio
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerium oxide, eh? These rare earths show up in lots of odd places. I wonder what is so special about cerium, here...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: