Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst Shifter rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And the answer is: you can fix it with 4 pieces of fuel hose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jan72 wrote:
...And the answer is: you can fix it with 4 pieces of fuel hose.

Or, a couple of layers of electrical tape inside each corner of the cover.
jan72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that should work, with a lot of layers. The cover i got was at least 6mm larger in diagonal. The ball off the empi one seemed to fit well, in fact there was some play. The chinese pins were also no-springy Smile dead metal, compared to the original ones and they wanted to get out of there. The chrome on the ball started to go also, after one month of use, with no dirt getting in there and plenty of graphite grease. Not a real rebuild... I wonder what are the guys that rebuild Hurst shifters using, i guess they're not using empi parts.
Anyway, the feel of this kind of shifter is unique, a LOT better than the stock one. The sticker showing the shift pattern would be nice...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've searched numerous posts and can't find the answer I am looking for. Does anyone know how much space should be between the shift ball on the bottom of the shaft and the reverse lockout disc (just above the ball)? I want to make sure I bend the cable to the correct length so the reverse lockout works properly. For the record, the shifter I assembled came in pieces from Jeff (glandnut) and I didn't get a cable with it. He did a favor for me and sent the parts I needed to build this shifter (thanks again Jeff) so it's not like I had a working shifter to compare to. Right now my lower disc hits the bottom of the cage, so I know it needs to come up some for the shifter to operate. Any pics with measurements (or just the measurement) would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that the correct distance (that I needed in my last post) is 1-1/4" from the top of the disc to the bottom of the shifter ball, while the lockout lever is in the rested position. Just thought I would pass the information along since I didn't see it posted anywhere.

Andy
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andy, I spaced and forgot to reply to your email.

Also, another way is set the collar height to match the black oxide that is generally worn away from the lower shaft in a perfect localized area. There will be a definite "edge" where the collar was once riding and wore the oxide. The height is different for very shifter and not exact. The key is to set the cable length so the edge of the collar normally rides against the reverse lockout lip that is tacked to the inside bottom plate of the cage. When the trigger is pulled, it compresses the lower shaft spring, lifts the collar, and rises above and over that lip allowing reverse.

For this reason, never buy a Hurst that is missing the lower cage plate unless you have a complete donor cage because it is basically a useless shifter. It will bolt in like everything is great. If you actually tried to drive with it, you would come out of first and go to find second at 20 mph one day and land right into reverse instead. Not good.
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a curved copper shifter for $50 and i was wondering what i can do to restore the original copper finish....

what have others used to get that like new look??

i also wanted to know where i can buy a new plastic cover and rubber boot for mine since they are missing...

i seen that moore and pacific customs has some for the empi version replacement boots and plastic covers but i want quality over price...
any idea where i can buy them?

Thanks, Bpritchert87

The Intelligence of a Man should not be measured by his age....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last night i started to clean it up a bit using a scotch pad and a little bit of metal polish... starting to look pretty good in some areas... but up by the trigger ring area the plating is gone..

im thinking about the following options...

1) tear it apart and get it all replated...

2) buy some copper spray paint and put a light coat over it...

3) have it power coated black like i a few i have seen...

btw i cant seem to get the wooden ball off.. any tricks it just should twist off right after some force....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you try to do to the original finish will never look the same as original. It was a combination of copper plating and paint.

The wood ball has a metal threaded insert. It was common that people would overtighten it, causing the metal insert to spin in the wood ball. That's why yours just spins. I was able to get one off by shoving a piece of steel wire up between the shifter and the ID of the knob to try and jamb the threaded insert. It did work. Once I had it off, I poured in the Loctite around the outside of the threaded insert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Whatever you try to do to the original finish will never look the same as original. It was a combination of copper plating and paint.

The wood ball has a metal threaded insert. It was common that people would overtighten it, causing the metal insert to spin in the wood ball. That's why yours just spins. I was able to get one off by shoving a piece of steel wire up between the shifter and the ID of the knob to try and jamb the threaded insert. It did work. Once I had it off, I poured in the Loctite around the outside of the threaded insert.

i think that i have come to the conclusion that no matter what i try to do to the original plating it wont look like the original as stated above...

therefore, i bought some copper spray paint and sprayed a small part of the shifter....

it actually really blends in nice and smooth... i can hardly tell where i sprayed and where i didnt...

so im going to mask off the bottom and the ball (which doesn't move at all.. wont spin off or move at all) its the original wood one.. and spray the handle part lightly with my copper spray paint..

yes some people may prefer the worn out look but when everything else is nice/new on my buggy it doesnt seem to fit..

maybe i shoot a couple of before and after pictures to post for those that are also curious about "restoring" on of these..

i know what your thinking why o why is he spray painting it... it will look like crap.. well so far one light coat looks pretty nice... plus it brings it back to a darker finish in stead of a pink like new penny look..

anyways ill shoot some before and after pictures if someone is interested...

glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just find someone that specializes in copper plating baby shoes and you're golden.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider giving it a clear coat after you touch up the copper with paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already considered adding a clear coat Laughing Laughing

i know this prob. isn't the most prefect way but i think i will be happy with the results... im not much a of a "real" vintage/purist anyhow... although i can respect those that prefer to go that route...

i have a dune buggy anyhow so how "purist" can i be lol

ill have to post some pictures of the results.. i really didn't take any before pictures tho...

thanks guys!

bugjuice82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a straight chrome Hurst with a red base cover. I haven't seen one red base cover in this whole post, or any others. Rare or wrong?
and a dog named Indy

See my ad's

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=bugjuice82
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted?
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Hurst Shifters Reply with quote

Recently I acquired my first Hurst shifter. Its a curved copper version with the wood ball. I found this thread and learned a lot - thanks everyone!

I'm presently (carefully) trying to restore the finish a bit. Up near the ball its a tad "patina'd". I heard Brasso might work. Any thoughts?

This shifter will be going into a '62 old-school Cal-Look project.
Wink
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that area up by the ball grey in colour? If so, that's the bare pot metal. Brasso isn't going to bring it back.
wardvwracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Is that area up by the ball grey in colour? If so, that's the bare pot metal. Brasso isn't going to bring it back.

Bruce, its not really a grey color. There's still a copper color, but it looks like years of dirty fingers... Laughing Looks like a build up of use.
1969 Beetle Convertible
63 11-Window Kombi Bus
Cornpanzers
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clean it very carefully. Start with something more gentle than your brasso.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a shifter that is missing the bottom plate what can you do to replace it?

Is scavanging from an EMPI clone the best way?

Thanks for the help...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: