Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do camper vans attract more car prowls?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Do camper vans attract more car prowls? Reply with quote

I've often wondered this since my westy is my trailhead car and I sometimes go on hikes in the Columbia River Gorge (notorious for car break-ins). Pretty much every time I return to the van I wonder if all my windows are going to be in one piece.

If I was a car-prowling, crack-headed, low-life, and I saw a camper van sitting at a trailhead I'm thinking "jackpot!" with all those cabinets hiding God-knows-what kind of loot. The irony is the badguy isn't going to get much cash for a tea kettle, can of soup, or pair of old shoes that most of us keep in our vans... but it's got to look more attractive than your typical family sedan, right?

Anybody have their vans broken into and was it because you had stuff laying out so you 'had it coming'? Anybody park in a spot where their van was the only car SPARED the break-in because it is obviously 'just some old hippie van' and there wasn't anything worth stealing inside?

Put my mind at ease or tell me to stop hiking (and worrying about such things)! Confused
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, dude, don't jinx it for me!

I think we ALL worry about stuff like that.

That is why God created those neat locking metal drawers Rocky Mountain Westy sells.

Same thing for wheel locks.

Ditto alarm systems. Or the kind of meat eating alarms with teeth.

All you can do is slow a thief down.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick with trailheads is to not bring anything in the van other than what you are taking with you into the backcountry. Leave all the curtains open as well as the cabinet doors. That way, anyone considering breaking in will see that there is very little to steal. I've even left the rooftop box wide open to show people there's nothing there to steal.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that many non-VW fans make the connection of a Vanagon with the busses "poor hippies" used to drive so I doubt that type of logic applies. And if they DID make that connection they may think that breaking in and raiding your stash will save them the trip to the pawn shop before hitting up their dealer.

Now, if I were a low-life theif, I would recognize a nicely maintained Westy (especially one with cool accesorries and tinted windows) as a high dollar toy hauler that might have some cool and expensive gear inside.

For instance, wifey and I often have upwards of $5k worth of mountain bikes crammed inside the van when we park it in towns etc during trips.

The scenario you describe is similar to one that I dealt with while backpacking in New Hampshire, the Adirondaks, and at one trailhead here in Bozeman. The best solution is to use a "normal" beater car, leave nothing in it, and don't bother locking it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do camper vans attract more car prowls? Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
Anybody have their vans broken into and was it because you had stuff laying out so you 'had it coming'?

Came this close to having mine broken into at Yosemite a couple of years ago. I'm certain it would have been a bash-and-dash had a park ranger not pulled in to empty the trash cans; Mom and I were extremely lucky that evening. The would-be punk-ass thieves parked so close to the van that a door couldn't be opened (I thought it odd because there were plenty of empty spaces available) other than the slider; they returned just as we squeezed back into the van and had big evil grins on their faces.

Had the van been broken into, we were asking for it: All electronics (iPod, phones, GPS, etc.) were sitting out in clear view. d'oh! Lesson learned: Even for a short walk when hardly anyone is around, even if the van is in view, put everything important away or take it all with you. The next day, we went for a long hike; everything was put away and the windows were left covered from the cold night before (nothing broken or swiped when we got back). Getting everything out of sight (and if the van's parked in the sun, I'll cover the windows) has been the practice ever since, and no problems since.

I theorize my van was broken into at least once when a PO had it; one of the vent windows is not original.

Honestly, I'd rather the van be broken into and replaceable crap stolen than the van itself be stolen. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Tiger Van broken into a few year ago, when I lived in a less shady neighborhood than I do now. I had come back from camping the night before and was too tired to unload everything to my third floor apartment.
They got my tools, hiking boots and my front privacy curtain?! They left the slider wide open...
Now I unload as soon as I get home. Sometimes I leave some cooking stuff in there and have been a little lazy with my tools lately. For trail head parking I have a big safe - much bigger than the under seat drawers - and lock anything valuable in there.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
The trick with trailheads is to not bring anything in the van other than what you are taking with you into the backcountry. Leave all the curtains open as well as the cabinet doors.

While I don't disagree with your logic, this simply it's very practical given that most vans usually have at least SOME crap in the cabinets and a baddie probably couldn't tell a pile of dish towels from a laptop by just a quick peek through a window. Mine is normally stocked with camping garbage (nothing of any real value, just the camping basics).

Can't see me leaving all my cabinets open when they have bags of cleaning products, rags, bandaids, blah blah blah.... nor can I really imagine having to empty the lot into the garage every time I plan on leaving it unattended at a TH.

Guess my choices boil down to:
1. leave the van at home and buy a thrashed beater for a TH car
2. don't keep the van "camp-ready" for any kind of quick trips
3. learn to live with the risk and be prepared to replace glass/f'd-up lock cylinders. Evil or Very Mad
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Dang, dude, don't jinx it for me!

I think we ALL worry about stuff like that.

I know it.... I debated on even starting this thread for fear of karma.

At least it sounds like I'm not alone in my paranoia; guess that's some consolation.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
For 25 years I have used the following note on the dash at trailheads all over North America. All our cars have one in the glovebox, on a 3x5 card in black sharpie, and when it no longer l toss it and make a new one.

"Guys, we have your extra ammo, and will meet you here."

All a thief knows is that this car has friends with guns and they will be here at an unknown time. I have never had a breakin despite the types of vehicles that always have expensive gear in them.

DougM

Nuff Said!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Don't lock it... Reply with quote

I learned a simple trick from my Dad, Don't lock it. Reasons being simple; it forces you to keep the van devoid of anything of value, and prevents damage by breakin from occurring. I took out the front cabinet faces under my sink and added a locking steel "Safe" which is bolted to my floor. It can hold a laptop, camera, camcorder, passports, etc. all at once. I also have a master switch for all battery power and unplug my ignitor at times. I am working on a giant U-lock for my clutch and brake pedals. That is security, not a door lock.

They usually break the vent windows and they are never right again...

If anyone thinks "stashing" items out of sight is a good idea, well, it isn't. And the damage done will be greater than the valuables are worth, by far, usually.

The cheapest "safe" you can make is the "Tighty Whitey Safe" : get a small hamper, put all your valuables in the bottom, cover with clothes and lay a pair of tighty whities on top with exposed brown racing stripe. Your valuables will be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideas:
http://www.vwvagabonds.com/Security.html

They have metal mesh mounted inside the windows. You can see it if you look closely in the show at the bottom of the page:

http://www.vwvagabonds.com/JovaSale

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't lock it... Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

........ I am working on a giant U-lock for my clutch and brake pedals. That is security, not a door lock.

That type of lock is available to buy in most flaps, at least that's where I bought mine.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't lock it... Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
I learned a simple trick from my Dad, Don't lock it. Reasons being simple; it forces you to keep the van devoid of anything of value, and prevents damage by breakin from occurring.

How do you make the bus devoid of anything of value? You don't have a radio? Speakers? Tools? Jack? CDs/mp3s? Camping equipment? I've had them steal a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. Hell, I've seen them steal wiring.

I've also seen some druggy breakout a vent window despite the fact that the bus wasn't locked.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy your self a Pit Bull with AIDS and live it in the van Very Happy

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't lock it... Reply with quote

How do you make the bus devoid of anything of value? You don't have a radio? Speakers? Tools? Jack? CDs/mp3s? Camping equipment? I've had them steal a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. Hell, I've seen them steal wiring.

I've also seen some druggy breakout a vent window despite the fact that the bus wasn't locked.[/quote]

Other alternatives were given. If it makes you feel better to lock it then lock it. They put a railing around the Grand Canyon as well. When people continued to fall, they put a sign on the railing. Same thing at Niagra Falls. Lock your van. It's safer that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a funny break in story....2 actually Smile

Story 1:

I drove my westy to a bar in East Vancouver one night, with the intention of sleeping in it after a night of heavy drinking Very Happy . Well, my buddy part way through the night decided he needed to borrow my van and drive it home to let his wife in their house. His wife had forgotten her keys at work and couldn't get in the house. By the time he returned it was pretty much that time of the night...time for me to crash in the van. I asked him where he parked it....it was on the worst street...the worst corner, of EAST VANCOUVER!!!. Thanks a lot buddy. So I weaved and stumbled my way to the van, shut the curtains, opened the side window screens, and passed out in my undies. ZZZzzz ZZZzzz ZZzz.

At about 4am I was woken up by my van rocking back and forth....then someone walked around the van and checked all the doors (they were locked), then they banged on the van in different spots...likely trying to set off an alarm or wake up someone in the van. At this point I was pretty much shiteing in my undies. I was now out of the bed and starting to peek out the curtains looking for the SOB. Then, I lifted up the passenger sliding door curtain and saw this guy in a puffy black coat, black pants and a black toque (yes we call it a toque up north eh) reach into his coat and pull out the mother of all flat head screw drivers! I swear it was 60 cm long (that's two feet for you Americans). He was just about to jack my lock as I reached into my spice rack for.....BEAR SPRAY Razz !!! I put it up to the screen and unloaded a can of evil right in his face! It was glorious! He dropped like a rock and squealed like a pig! I then frantically jumped behind the wheel and drove off in my under ware. It was truly awesome!

Story 2:

I was parked in front of a busy east van bar (The Cambie) having pre pints with the boys with the curtains closed as to not attract attention to the illegalities within. All of the sudden a wanker walks up and opens the sliding door. He immediately looks very surprised to see us there, pauses for a moment then says "hey dudes, does anyone have any change?" Answer "No. What the hell are you doing?" Then he says, "How about a beer?" At about that point he ran. Classic East Van thief.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably depends on what your van looks like if it will get prowled or not. A thief is either gonna think "this old piece of **** ain't got nothin to steal" and move on, or "man somebody put some money into this old ****ty van, must be something to steal in there" Laughing
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always get a south african 'alarm'
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bdf_1352583873
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a bed and put the pillows in it so it looks like someone is taking a nap. Laughing
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydy wrote:
you could always get a south african 'alarm'
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bdf_1352583873

The SA folks also have a spring-loaded blade about four feet long that bolts under the rocker panel and can clip a would-be perp at about mid-shin. Probably a very effective deterrent and JUST the thing to use in a litigious society like ours. That perp (if he survived) would probably sue and get your van, the contents and the rest of your fortune, as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: