Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash lights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shermanator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: dash lights Reply with quote

took my dash cover off to check underneath and BROKE my "Tape Wiring", so NOW...NO DASH LIGHTS.....is there an aftermarket "Flat Tape Wire" or am I SOL?
docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but maybe trace the circuit in the tape from the light to the source, and solder a wire to bypass it? Gowesty sells a circuit foil replacement kit, but it costs some ca$h.......
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

Said kit:

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=24189

No lie, that's pricy for what it does, but that said WAY better in design than that blue foil business.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: dash lights Reply with quote

I tapped into the dimmer circuit and added red LED strips inside the housings.

Remove the speedo and tach from behind to gain access.

I chose red because it doesn't interfere with night vision, and it's nice in my Audi.

Three LEDs per gauge should be enough. I'd use electrical tape or similar to mask the front edge so that they don't shine directly in your eyes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: