Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Pull -- Must Do Items??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpinnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Engine Pull -- Must Do Items?? Reply with quote

I'm planning on pulling my engine (haven't decided weather to drop the tranny as well) to replace the fuel sending unit (did the test, its the sender not the gauge or vibrator). I'll redo all the fuel lines, vapor return lines, breather lines, filler hose, etc.

I'm also going to seal the gas tank (no problems yet, but only want to do this job once), clean the hard fuel lines (acid or brake cleaner??), service the injectors and replace all the vacuum hoses.

What I'm wondering is what else do you think is a must do item with the engine out?
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check www.ratwell.com Good step by step info on engine removal and gas tank restoration. (Thanks Ratwell!!)
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Pull -- Must Do Items?? Reply with quote

wpinnix wrote:
What I'm wondering is what else do you think is a must do item with the engine out?

Pour yourself a nice tall one because you're a better man than I.

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few post about stuff do do in there while you are in there, but checking and adjusting crankshaft endplay and inspecting th efront and rear main seals for oil leaks would be high on my list as well as inspecting the clutch and throwout bearing.

Lots of cleaning is always good to do while in there. Some recreational paintin go the engine compartment and of you engine tin is worthwhile.

I would also go to radioshack and get a contact cleaning pen for $5 and make sure all of the wiring (especially the FI connections are nice and clean and tight).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Pull -- Must Do Items?? Reply with quote

wpinnix wrote:
I'm planning on pulling my engine (haven't decided weather to drop the tranny as well) to replace the fuel sending unit (did the test, its the sender not the gauge or vibrator). I'll redo all the fuel lines, vapor return lines, breather lines, filler hose, etc.

Good stuff.

Quote:
I'm also going to seal the gas tank (no problems yet, but only want to do this job once),

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html

Quote:
clean the hard fuel lines (acid or brake cleaner??)

Use carb cleaner. I used some acid to remove some hard varnish build-up.

Quote:
service the injectors

www.cruzinperformance.com

Quote:
and replace all the vacuum hoses.

Very important especially the small ones.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Quote:

See the list in my transmission article:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/091Transmission.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace all of the injector o-rings, the intake boots, the clutch and throttle cables, Temp Sensor II, Have a long hard look at that clutch too. It's never gonna be any easier than having the engine and tranny out to replace it. Check the condition of your CV's and your foam engine seal as well. I've always found it easier to drop engine and tranny together, about 20 minutes and its on the ground.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Pull -- Must Do Items?? Reply with quote

wpinnix wrote:

Well, it's not a must do, but if I had a bus that hadn't had this fix I would do it. I did it to mine: Replace the pressed-in plug seals with tapped plugs.

Here's the deal: On the front of the engine are three sealed holes in the crankcase -- they've got little plugs pressed into them. These can pop out, causing a catastrophic oil hemmorhage, which, if you don't catch it right away, can destroy your engine.

This happened to me once at a very bad time -- I was on my way to deliver my PhD dissertation to the graduate school, on the last day they would accept it. Last thing I needed was a breakdown! So anyway, an engine-full of oil suddenly spilled onto the road, all pouring out of the bell housing. Mon Dieu, qu'est-ce que c'est? My (at the time) trusted mechanic in Austin, TX tapped the hole and plugged it with a brass plumbing fitting. He did the one that popped.

A couple of years later, splaf! oil on the road again! I immediately stopped, towed the bus home, and pulled the engine. Damn! Plug #2 of 3 had popped out. Again a new clutch disk, etc., but this time I plugged that one and the third one. Won't happen again.

So, this is something you could do with the engine out. I don't know how common this plug blowing is, but it was common for me. The only problems are that 1) it takes a good deal of nerve (I had to work myself up to it) to take a drill to the case, and 2) you want to be super careful not to get cuttings from the drilling and tapping into the case insides.

If you want details I think I can look them up in my road log.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Pull -- Must Do Items?? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
So, this is something you could do with the engine out. I don't know how common this plug blowing is, but it was common for me. The only problems are that 1) it takes a good deal of nerve (I had to work myself up to it) to take a drill to the case, and 2) you want to be super careful not to get cuttings from the drilling and tapping into the case insides.

Oil gallery plugs are an impotant issue. Tapping the holes without splitting the case is nerve wracking work. I'm too scared to do it that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be yanking my engine in the next few days as well. A big THANK YOU to Richard for puting the idiot proof by the numbers walk through of engine removal on your site. It will come in most handy. Very Happy
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
wpinnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Richard, have you tapped your oil gallery plugs? If so, did you do it with the case split? Also, I've read your 091 tranny 'refresh'; seems like you mainly replaced seals, bearings, gaskets, etc., did you feel your's didn't warrant a rebuild? I've seen the rebuild kits for sale (include synchros, gaskets, and other parts), they aren't too expensive but if the work requires special tools and a ton of time then I'll just do what you have listed on your writeup.

I'm not sure how one could possibly drill out the gallery plugs without getting shavings into the case.

I've read that some people JB weld the plugs. Not sure if that works or not, but it would be easier than drilling and tapping.

I think I'd be more nervous about tapping than drilling. If I do decide to drill and tap is there a pictoral guide anywhere? What size drill/tap/plug to use?

Thanks for all the help. I'm making a list and when it's complete and I have everything on the list then the work will begin.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpinnix wrote:
I'm not sure how one could possibly drill out the gallery plugs without getting shavings into the case.

I used a hand-held drill with an extra handle on it for stability (Milwaukee Holeshooter) and just went really slow, and used some tap grease to catch the cuttings, cleaning off the flutes often. This worked fine. But I was scared the whole way through. But, dontcha know, there is some thrill in doing something (like a rebuild or other major maintenance, or even a hike into the backcountry, or getting in pretty deep on a four-wheeler road) where you have to get in deeper and you know there is only one way out. I don't mean in a careless or reckless way, but in a determined and careful way, even though there are risks. Yee-haw!

wpinnix wrote:
I think I'd be more nervous about tapping than drilling. If I do decide to drill and tap is there a pictoral guide anywhere? What size drill/tap/plug to use?

I could not take pictures without pulling the engine (which I am not doing), but it's straightforward. I drilled a 9/16" diameter hole 1 1/4" deep, tapped with a 3/8" NPT tap, and plugged with a brass NPT plug. The head on one of the plugs had to be cut off and filed down to allow for flywheel clearance. That's it!

Anyway - it CAN be done successfully. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpinnix wrote:
So Richard, have you tapped your oil gallery plugs?

No, because I have not split this case yet.

Quote:

You drill a hole in the plug and then put in a screw and yank it out with a slide hammer. Still, shaving are a risk.

Quote:
I've read that some people JB weld the plugs. Not sure if that works or not, but it would be easier than drilling and tapping.

That's what I did. It's pretty hard stuff. Getting it to bond properly (so it can resist the pressure of the oil) is guesswork.

Quote:

The kit of plugs (like ACN sells) will tell you what size to use.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: