Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"where are you from and what does your daddy do?"
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgpilot15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: "where are you from and what does your daddy do?" Reply with quote

sorry, fitting title seeing our gov and all.
a few forums I've attended have had stickys about who the players were.
It might make it easier to relate to each other if we know a little background. So come on and give a paragraph about who you are and what you do for a living.

Here's my first volley.
Hi everyone. My name is Dave and I"m from the happiest place on earth. (if your a tourist into cartoon mice.) I'm 34 years old and have been wrenching for a good 15 of 'em. If it's got tits or tires, you can bet I've busted something on 'em. I work in the Harley aftermarket parts industry as a salesman and technical support. I'm a single dad of a great 10 year old girl and am dating a cool chick that you can usually find wrenching under the VW right next to me.
Likes?= The sound of a built V-dub motor under load, sunsets @ pismo and barbecues.
dislikes?= electrical gremlins, romantic anything and people in general.
so lets hear a bit about who you guys are. Wink

edit (added by moderator)

Member Location map:

http://www.frappr.com/thesambaoffroadandkitcars
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, 20, 30 minutes away from the happiest place on earth, 10 minutes away from the pomona swap meet. i work 200 yards north of the chino prison designing faucets and other high-end water fixtures. curently in school for mechanical engineering.

i'm almost finished with my first major off-road project, as many of you have seen. i've owned vws or vw based cars for the last 4 years, but i've been around vw-based off-road cars my entire life. started steering at age 3 and could drive stick by age 7.

no girlfriend, no kids, i'm married to my cars and really need a life outside of my garage.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pploco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott 31 from Southern Utah - right in the Zion National Parks. By day I am a computer network and telecom engineer. By night and on the weekends I like to bust a knuckle or two under the hood of anything with wheels and a motor. I got my first V-dub at the age of 14 and learned the ins and outs of mechanics from that little one-way vehicle. I worked as an auto body tech to put myself through college, and sometimes wish my career choices would have been different. The wife and I just had a new baby boy - you can bet he will have fun growing up around his still 18 year old dad. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
imp558
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom 32, I live in a place where freezing white CRAP bellowes from the sky and buries my entire little world for 1/2 of every @%*(&(&#@^% year! My official job title is "Electro-mechanical Technician" and that just really means I fix industrial machinery. I moonlight with an internet based company that rewires factory engine harnesses to fascilitate engine refits into vehicles God didn't intend them to go into. I have 2 boys, 9yrs, and 2yrs. I have been a mechanic all my life,rebuilt my first engine in high school, and have modified and tinkered with cars since I was little.....................next.............
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Zane Shepherd (27) from Creswell, Or. Graduated from Oregon State in 2000 with a BS in Forest Engineering. But now I cut timber for a living, guess it's in my blood. I spend most of my time hunting, fishing, and trapping, and am just getting into the Vw thing. Not married, no kids, and I live with my girlfriend. Have one baja, 63 body on 73 pan, and am building a better one. This site is a major help in both fixing things and getting ideas, I just hope I can help someone too.

Last edited by Shep on Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pploco wrote:
Scott 31 from Southern Utah - right in the Zion National Parks. By day I am a computer network and telecom engineer. By night and on the weekends I like to bust a knuckle or two under the hood of anything with wheels and a motor. I got my first V-dub at the age of 14 and learned the ins and outs of mechanics from that little one-way vehicle. I worked as an auto body tech to put myself through college, and sometimes wish my career choices would have been different. The wife and I just had a new baby boy - you can bet he will have fun growing up around his still 18 year old dad. Very Happy

Bull. I"m the only guy in southern Utah with an Off road VW. You're an imposter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
imp558
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott never said he currently had a VW of any sort, only that he had one when he was 14. I imagine people would still like to read the board even if they can't currently participate in the activities. Hell, I read Playboy, but I'll never get to drive one of the hotrods in the centerfold. Imp558
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imp558,

did you get my PM?

SHMO
BugZyla.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryll, 38, Mesa AZ. Been tinkering with VWs on and off since I was 18. Just got off of a sabatical from VWs for a while. I am building a few cars right now, A 66 Baja http://www.bugzyla.com , A 4 seater sandrail, and a 71 Bug with a BGW 40 ford delivery kit on it. I have tinkered with many things over the years, including this fun little supercharged Go-Ped that I built and machined from scratch, including the supercharger. http://www.actiongrafix.net/proped.html I wrenched for 9 years, worked at an automotive machine shop for 5 years, and have owned a sign shop http://www.actiongrafix.net for the last 4 years.

http://www.bugzyla.com

"Why is there Braille on a Drive Thru ATM?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott, 45 years old from the state of oklahoma. i'm a contractor, residential and commercial work . got my first car at age 14, a 67 mustang. my older sister had beetles for about 10 years, i even installed a new muffler on her 67 when i was about 16. i'm married to my wife DeeAnn and we have two kids. my kids have long QT syndrome, a genetic heart disorder. meridith, age 17 had a pacemaker/ defibullator implanted almost 4 years ago. she was in her high school swim class when her heart stopped, emt's revived her thank god. scotty, age 10, takes oral medicine- a pacemaker may be in his future.... scotty is my baja pilot, he is pretty good at letting the clutch out when he is driving. his first vehicle was a power wheels jeep!
i've had my '65 baja for a least 10 years. i just finished installling a 8' warrior beam and have tied my cage to the beam and have built a pre runner front bumper for it. next project is to install a bus transaxle and irs arms 3 inches longer. but the wife want to go to new orleans this summer, i'm trying to stash enough cash to buy up my needed parts.... one more thing, i new a set of thing stub axles, backing plates and drums, pm me if you have some! Arrow thesamba.com rocks
Exclamation
pploco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanhag, where in southern utah are you? Cedar City here.

My current project (shameless plug).

http://thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122682
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Denny, I'm 32, i've been married to my high school sweethart for almost 11 years, i have 1 son who's 1 1/2. I started working at a dodge dealership right out of high school doing heavy line.Did that for 4 years and im now a Honda Mechanic. I'm an ASE master Tech and have a California smog license.My dad owns a Honda-Acura repair shop here in San Marcos.I started riding 3 wheelers at 7 and have been going to the desert pretty religiously since i was 18.My first car was a 61 bug that i turned Cal look. I just cant seem to stay away from Vw's for very long and now have my baja and a 63 notch.Oh ya, i dont work for my dad. I tried that,didn't last too long, you know, that family thing. i'm selling my house and moving to Utah.Probably Lehi area.See ya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
Ii'm selling my house and moving to Utah.Probably Lehi area.

what?!? when?

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwposeur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
i'm selling my house and moving to Utah.Probably Lehi area.See ya.

Why?

Are you gonna cut footloose? Laughing

Ha ha Utah humor. You should just be old enough to get that.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that i have son my priorities have changed and this town just isn't what it used to be for raising children.Houses everywhere,no place to play or ride a bike,And i have enough equity in this house to pay cash for a house in Utah.I also have family in those parts.I drive 16 miles to work and it takes me an hour sitting in traffic. i'm just sick of the crowd and time wasted that could better spent with my family(or working on my Vw's)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwclass11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Mitch, and I am a bajaholic. I am 34, I live in Mesa,AZ. Born and raised in Yuma,AZ, nothing like being 20 miles from the Dunes Laughing . Not sure how I got into VWs, my dad is a Ford man. My first car was actually a Vega, but as luck turned out my dad drove it to mexico, it broke down, left it at a friends house, went back to get it and his "friend" sold it. My first encounter with bajas was around 1977, my neighbor had one, also when I was in grade school I recieved a book, it was called The Baja Run, which I still have. I have owned/driven a baja since 1985. I have always worked on my cars. I trained myself, I bought the Baja bible, read that thing over and over and over. I worked at German Auto Repair in Mesa,Az for 7 years, left there now I work at Berge Vw as a Parts back counterman, been here for 5 years. Not married, no children, have a girlfriend, doesnt understand what I see in my car. Later,Mitch.

Vanhag wrote:
On a scale from 1-10 I see a class 11.

hotratz wrote:
I hold a level 2 certification in Tribology

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/194538.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwposeur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I guess i should give my story. I'm a complete and utter poseur. I'm a grad student (again) sans VW. My last was a '71 bus which I sold a few years ago. I have no fab or serious mechanical skills, or tools, money, friends, or a place to work on cars. When things settle down I will get back into VWs - baja or class 11 style will be the next project. Or maybe a rail. In the meantime I am just planning as much as I can.

Oh yeah, and I once saw a full-fendered baja in Moab. Kinda stuck out like a sore thumb.
vwposeur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
Now that i have son my priorities have changed and this town just isn't what it used to be for raising children.Houses everywhere,no place to play or ride a bike,And i have enough equity in this house to pay cash for a house in Utah.I also have family in those parts.I drive 16 miles to work and it takes me an hour sitting in traffic. i'm just sick of the crowd and time wasted that could better spent with my family(or working on my Vw's)

Lehi's only a few hours from Little Sahara dunes. Serious dunage there. Pink Coral dunes at the sound end of the state, too. Lessee. Oh yeah, and about 5-6 hours to St. Anthony dunes in Idaho. Gotta know these things, bro.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: