Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting exterior only?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Painting exterior only? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about having my interior only painted. My exterior is still in good shape, but the interior paint is a mess.

Has anyone done this where you had the interior painted professionally, but not the exterior? I can't afford for there to be any overspray, because my exterior is a 3-stage paint job that can't be touched up.
Oldnslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you have to take the interior completely apart to do a decent job. You got headliner, carpet, seats, etc. May be easier to live with a good cleaning and save the labor charges for when you do the outside and upolstery work someday. Or, like some like to say on here when you see a picture of a bug that a tree fell on, "it'll buff out" for the time being.
Claire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, these are gouges down to the dark green paint below, burns above the ashtray and severe scratches all over. Here is a small sampling:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The headliner is shot anyway, so no problem. The seats come out easy too, I've done that several times already. The door panels are all being replaced. So no problem.

My only concern is if it can be done by a pro with no overspray onto the outside if it's taped off well? I would imagine that if they screwed it up and oversprayed onto the exterior, since the paint can't be touched up, they'd have to repaint my whole car.
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can paint the interior without getting the exterior. Alot of taping and masking. Finding someone willing to do it might be another issue. I would also think that it will cost quite a bit.
Mario J G
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you ? I have a shop in NC and or could travel and do yout interior so you would think it was done the same time as out side with out removing headliner I could even do under dash.

the outer of the car would have to be totally sealed off and I would would make sure 3M tape was used and have it blended to outer.

also make sure the same brand paint is used (sorry John I can tell when brands have been changed)

You'll be much happier if you have the interior redone the same quality as outer paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: