Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock rims on Lowered Car
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Stock rims on Lowered Car Reply with quote

Is it possible to use Stock rims on a lowered car?I'm "trading" my Porsche 2liter repo rims with 195/65's for some engine parts to rebuild my Engine.I have a set of stock rims and a set of 8 spokes.I would prefer to run the stock rims over 8 spokes.I'm not sure how many clicks my car is lowered,but the front beam is 2 1/2-3in off the ground,I'd say the rear is lowered 2 clicks.What size tires can be run?I'd like to have some decent contact patch on the fron,but I'm not sure if its possible.

P.S. I *DID* search.
Thanks,
Philip
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure it is possible i did it 20 years ago on my 1st fastback a 67 3 notches in the front 2 in the rear untill i could afford 8 spokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 67 i used 135/15's in the front 165/15's in the rear
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got stock rims and 165R15 tires on my '71 square that is lowered. I'm not sure how far since the PO did it. They rub when you have it turned about 80%. Here's a pic of the front:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FU#3
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock rims on Lowered Car Reply with quote

66fasty wrote:
Is it possible to use Stock rims on a lowered car?I'm "trading" my Porsche 2liter repo rims with 195/65's for some engine parts to rebuild my Engine.I have a set of stock rims and a set of 8 spokes.I would prefer to run the stock rims over 8 spokes.I'm not sure how many clicks my car is lowered,but the front beam is 2 1/2-3in off the ground,I'd say the rear is lowered 2 clicks.What size tires can be run?I'd like to have some decent contact patch on the fron,but I'm not sure if its possible.

P.S. I *DID* search.
Thanks,
Philip

You will be far better off with the stock rims than the 8-spokes on a lowered car. The offset of the 8-spokes hurts you since it is set up for a Beetle, not the Type 3.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea thats what I figured.I have the 8 spokes on there now because the car is just sitting,and I only get a little rub on the passenger side,but thats because the car was hit in the front so the left side fender is pushed out.I'm going to put the 8 spokes on the 67 I'm goin to sell and put the stockers on the 66.How hard are stock hubcaps to find?What about "smooth" aftermarket hubcaps?I'm goin with the flat black "sleeper" look(1914).I'll try to get a pic of my car soon.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is stock 4 bolt wheels, the hubcaps are the same as a bug. Shouldnt be too hard to find in SoCal. People should have them in their junk box.
Rolling Eyes

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 66 square is low as it can get.. I don't have any bump stops. Stock 135s
66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solow you got any pics?Right now I still need to cut the bump stop arms off of my car.As they're still hitting when I go through a dip(only did it once)
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might regret cutting those bump stops off. If you think about it, without those stops, and you hit a bump, the front beam will smash the pavement.

whats better, bottoming out on the bumpstop mounts, or getting a little more clearance only to smash the front beam into the pavement, and possibly tweak your entire front beam setup.....

best idea would be to grind it down, and hook a threaded urethane bumpstop there so you can adjust the stop point.

-Ryan
66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I understand what you mean by hook a bump-stop on there.It is 1 in the morning so that might have somethin to do with it.But the acutal bumpstop is already cut off,but the metal mount is still on there.I'll go take a look at some bumpstops to see If I can figure out what you mean.
Thanks,
Philip
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
if it is stock 4 bolt wheels, the hubcaps are the same as a bug. Shouldnt be too hard to find in SoCal. People should have them in their junk box.
Rolling Eyes

We use ours as Frisbees™

Yeee Haaw.

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I bet.I wasn't sure if they were the same or not.I figured they'd be different and harder to just because its goin on a type 3.Alright so it looks like 135's are the answer for the front,I've got 2 rims with good 165's and 2 rims with 195's,and the 195's do look very "bulgy".
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notched wrote:

We use ours as Frisbees™

Yeee Haaw.

Or to water the Dog.

Wink

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stock rims on Lowered Car Reply with quote

66fasty wrote:

P.S. I *DID* search.
Thanks,
Philip

I have stock steelies on my square -- the front is lowered 2 clicks and I run 195/60's all the way around... no rubbing at all...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Bump Stops,135s

60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

175/55/15s will get you all the way to the floor and still give you decent tunring with the stock wheels because of the offset.

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do stock 5 lug rims have the same offset as stock 4 lugs though?I would really like to have a significant amount of tread on the ground,and a 175 is probably quite a bit more than a 135.62type3square,what size tire are you running on the rear?Any full pics of the car?
Thanks,
Philip
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a full picture of franks car before our attempted trip to bug-o-rama... Don't remember exactly what size tire he has in the rear... But they fit perfect on the stock 4.5" wide rim.

66fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic!My cars not nearly as low as his is,its closer to SoLow-Square's.I'd like to have it as low as Franks though lol.I dont know how well it would do out here though(Dips)Looks REALLY good though!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: