Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box seal
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scenspec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should there be a gasket on that bottom plate? My 66 is leaking from that plate as well as the seal.

I plan to drain it and switch to corn head grease until I can buy all the specialty tools and parts to do it right.

76 Westfalia DLX
67 Bug
66 13 window dlx Bus
68 Single Cab
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a very thin paper gasket like what you find in most phone books.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back up as I have a question for the bus gurus. If you notice this picture that EverettB posted earlier:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has a rubber one on one side and a metal cased one on the other. I have just bought one of the metal cased ones to fix my leaky box, but I got to the point where you pull the seal out and found mine is a metal one already.

Any tips to get the metal cased seals out? Drill a hole and use the puller? Worked for about 20 minutes on it today. Didnt budge no matter what tool i tried.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the side cover off the box, pulled out the splined shaft, knocked out the old seal from the inside, then reassembled. Once the new seal is in, put some tape on the splines before putting the splined shaft back in so you don't mess up the seal.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my metal one. Just got a little chisel and broke it, then pulled it out with a puller. Took about 10 minutes. You just have to make something for the puller to get into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the http://www.oacdp.com/5867part.html I am looking for part number 7.

It is listed as follows:

#7 Part number 211 415 135 A Gasket -- Steering gear cases 211 415 105 B and 214 415 105 up to chassis No. 374810 and ATE Steering's

I also am looking for the metal gasket that goes on the top end where the steering shaft attaches to the steering gear box. it is in the lower left beside the gear box cover

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you are just going to have to make your own!
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OVIEDOAV wrote:
I just replaced my metal one. Just got a little chisel and broke it, then pulled it out with a puller. Took about 10 minutes. You just have to make something for the puller to get into.

Thank you for the response. I'll see what I can do. Wish I had some smaller chisels. I was thinking about a small drill bit and drilling a few holes to get as malls crew driver or hooked object to yank on it.
Alexmobil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful thread Very Happy
I found that the original seal in my split (1966) is 24x36x7 and has the VW stamp. The OACDP 58-67 parts book says 25x36x7. Ended buying a 24 x36 x7.

Where the papel gasket goes?. I removed the bottom plate and there are only a spacer and 4 shims. Could I use silicon or permatex 2?

thanks in advance.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A papel gasket should go to Rome... Laughing

See the diagram above, part #7.

You could try RTV silicon sealant thinly finger spread on each shim.
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

I bought a couple of the 9710 steering box output shaft seals from my local NAPA for about $15 ea. (they were special order and they charged me the shipping) and then found these on Amazon. Might end up being the same price if you can't take advantage of the free shipping.

I mostly wanted to show that Amazon is currently a source for these seals.

http://www.amazon.com/SKF-Small-Style-Metric-Diameter/dp/B000CKLIYU#customerReviews
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
billiejohnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_2850496-Steering-box-output-shaft-seal-5569-N149071.html

You can get the all rubber seal here for a good price.
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread. My steering box has begun leaking and the new seal is on its way, the last one lasted at least the 25 years I've had my truck.
The oil leaking is definitely not Hypoid, not smelly but pretty thick. Everett's post from the manual specifies 90wt not hypoid. There was mention of an oil/ grease cocktail but I'm not sure if that's the way to go.
Everything I've found in 90wt gear oil is Hypoid.
Any recomendations for the proper oil?
Thanks in advance.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

mykillcykill wrote:
Resurrecting this thread. My steering box has begun leaking and the new seal is on its way, the last one lasted at least the 25 years I've had my truck.
The oil leaking is definitely not Hypoid, not smelly but pretty thick. Everett's post from the manual specifies 90wt not hypoid. There was mention of an oil/ grease cocktail but I'm not sure if that's the way to go.
Thanks in advance.

Same as you use in the transaxle.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

mykillcykill wrote:
Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on rebuilding my spare steering box/column to have ready to replace my current one (so as to reduce down time).

What brand seal(s) did you buy, and might you have a link? I'd link to have all necessary replacement parts in hand, before I get crackin' on it. Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

I use the same stuff I use in the transaxle - 80W90 gear oil

A bunch of people have said John Deere corn head grease is good too.
There is some mention of it in this longer Bay Window area steering box lube thread
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

I was lazy and got from Amazon. I don't think the image is correct but the seal numbers match. I'll know in a few days. There was also a review mentioning use on a bus box.
https://www.amazon.com/SKF-Small-Style-Metric-Diam...=9710+seal
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

I have this seal saved in my Amazon list
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089AA1TI/?coliid=I3F34..._lig_dp_it
but I haven't used it myself.

I added that SKF one now too

Suggestion:
If you are buying them online, I'd buy 2 in case you mess one up installing it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box seal Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Suggestion:
If you are buying them online, I'd buy 2 in case you mess one up installing it.

Agreed. It's the best insurance. I've yet to mess up a part when I have a spare.
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: