Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for info on putting a Chev HEI into a VW eng
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jinx2268
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Looking for info on putting a Chev HEI into a VW eng Reply with quote

It's been 15 years or so, but I remeber seeing an ad or article on how to convert a Chevy 8 cylinder HEI over to work in a VW 1600 eng. Like I said that was approximately 15 years ago. Does anyone have a distributor that has already been converted or know how to do it? I have a 1776 with a mag in it now, but to be honest the mag is a pain in the a**. I can't hook a tach up to it, it's to tall to run my Johnny's 4 play, it's plain out just a pain for my drag car. Any advice, help, knowledge, parts for sale would be greatly appreciated. I have the Johnny's 4 play listed for sale as I can't use it with the mag, however I still want to put the HEI in the motor as I'm more familiar (Chevy Guy by nature) with it, than I am the mag. Not sure how this form works, so I can also be reached by email at [email protected]. Thanks in advance for the help as I know someone out there will be able to. This is an awesome sight, wish it would have been around 15 years ago, I might not have gotten out of the VW race seen and be stubbling as I am now. Thanks again,
jinx2268
myb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that article: It was not a V8 distributor that they converted in that magazine article. It was a late 70's chevy vega 4 cylinder HEI disributor. Only difference is the V8 has 8 pickup points (4 need to be broken off) and the cap has 8 pins. I did the conversion once. I used the bottom 2" approx. (the part that slips into the case) from an old VW distributor mated to the Chevy housing.The chevy shaft slips right into the stock VW bushings and the VW drive piece will fit right on the Chevy shaft with the stock VW pin. You will need a lathe to accomplish the mating of the Chevy and VW housings. the rest is just cutting and drilling.
Bugman Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company that currently makes a drop in Chevy based HEI distributer. it's called the DUI, I think(really, I'm not making that up). I see their ad in Hot VW's.
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=IGD0010&cartid=0717200537865679
jinx2268
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Thank s for the help so far Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys I have received. One has even provided a link to purchase a new dist at the tune of $350.00. Still looking for the article I believe it was in Hot VW's magazine on how to convert one. Unfortunately I have no local distributor to stop in and pick up an issue or two of Hot VW magazine. Don't want a subscription, but a magazine or two from time to time would be nice. Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming. Smile
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a 4play intake but can't seem to find a decent retailer. How much you want for it Jinx?
timmy74006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thank s for the help so far Reply with quote

[quote=" Still looking for the article I believe it was in Hot VW's magazine on how to convert one. Unfortunately I have no local distributor to stop in and pick up an issue or two of Hot VW magazine. Don't want a subscription, but a magazine or two from time to time would be nice. Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming. Smile[/quote]

I get my issues of Hot VWs when I'm bored and want to look at what's new from the local Wal Mart.
Tim
71 Bus
myolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimberwolfZ28 wrote:
I've been looking for a 4play intake but can't seem to find a decent retailer. How much you want for it Jinx?

Read this first:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93681&highlight=

I just don't see how that can work well, too much space for the fuel to fall out of suspension. unless you used this idea for fuel injection, but even then, it is SO much better for an engine to use tuned lengthplenum runners, as it takes advantage of the engine pulses.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, I know that there are guys and gals that may have better info than I.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

candyman wrote:
i broke my brain over ten years ago and its still dumb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, mine is a turbo application, with a homebrew EFI. it will not actually be moving ANY fuel, just air. It's just a convenient way for me to mount a throttle body. the injectors are direct port.
myolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimberwolfZ28 wrote:
well, mine is a turbo application, with a homebrew EFI. it will not actually be moving ANY fuel, just air. It's just a convenient way for me to mount a throttle body. the injectors are direct port.

In that case, it should work great!!
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

candyman wrote:
i broke my brain over ten years ago and its still dumb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHAT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugman Jeff wrote:
There is a company that currently makes a drop in Chevy based HEI distributer. it's called the DUI, I think(really, I'm not making that up). I see their ad in Hot VW's.

That's correct.Here's their site.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/vwdui.htm
suicidedoordavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new vw friend just mentioned this setup recently as he had a chevy distributor modified to fit in a vw. since this original thread is a few years old, anyone currently is running this type of distributor in their vw?

my friend does not have his currently installed in his daily driver, but said he will in the near future to give me an idea of what it looks like and how it performs.
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Chevy HEI distributors modified by the man who did the article way back when. He now goes under the business name Eyeball Engineering and makes a-arm front ends and torque bars, he no longer makes the distributors. He might still be selling the plans to modify the distributor.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use DUI distributors at work. Most go into old Fords. Great pieces of kit. The only problem with them on a VW is they are frickin huge. I'd rather put a Pertronix billet or Mallory in.

brad
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a chevy mallory comp 9000? Made by me ran perfect! And fully adjustable,only reason i changed was to go cop crank fire!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent seen the davis units in years,but look at what Im worken on these days,no wonder. I my self like the mopar electronics, you can make them multi spark just like the msd stuff.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I though the original CB magnaspark used a GM module.
DJSandberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: GM HEI distributor Reply with quote

I've been doing some research on this because I'm going to put a 4 cylinder GM HEI distributor in my dune buggy, so I figured I would post what I've found so far.

There was a two page article in the December 1989 "Hot VWs" about using a GM 8 cylinder HEI distributor in a VW engine. The article was about Bruce Bewarder's process that he used at Precision Automotive to do the conversion.

There wasn't much hard core information about the conversion in the article because at the time, Bruce was selling the blueprints for $5.

I contacted Bruce and he has granted me permission to post the original blueprints. I will post them and photos of the article as soon as I figure out how. He is no longer in the business of doing conversions or selling blueprints. But he still has the jigs and tools that he used and some converted distributors, so if you are interested in buying the entire lot, let me know an I'll put you in touch with Bruce.

There are two different distributors that can be used for this conversion.

The 8 cylinder HEI distributor is the cheapests to acquire, you can get them for about $40 on up. It takes the most machining to make it work, but you can keep the mechanical fuel pump in place because the distributor sits higher on the engine.

The 4 cylinder is harder to find. I bought a Cardone 30-1495 distributor on Ebay for $70 but most of them go for $100-$130. It comes without a rotor, coil or coil cover.

I haven't done the conversion yet, but it looks like I can just machine down the body of the distributor, cut a slot for an o-ring, drill out the old VW drive and attach it to the GM distributor shaft.

It sits lower (about the same height as the original) so you'll have to remove the fuel pump and replace it with an electric unit.

The main reason I'm doing the conversion is because the GM HEI distributor can create and manage over 65,000 volts. If you run that much voltage through a stock VW distributor, I expect that you will see a lot of crossfire.

The other reason is reliability. I've worked in the auto repair business for 40 years and I've only seen one failure of an HEI distributor. They are simply the most reliable distributors in the business.

I've got a lot of work to do on my dune buggy before I can get to the distributor. But when I get there, I'll post pictures and all the dimensions.

Last edited by DJSandberg on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this?

My father did it 20+yrs ago. the mods made to the cap are he pulled 4 of the terminals and sealed the holes with silicon and the trigger wheel on the inside has 4 of the trigger "nubs" removed. This dist will be going back into the motor when I put it back together.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why make you when you can buy one already done.

Not very popular after being around for 20 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: