Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian Bug Owners
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: '68 Canadian Beetle Reply with quote

Update: Well I tinkered with my '68 Beetle and installed a Web 86C camshaft this summer, to go along with the Weber IDA's. Best ET was 12.9 seconds at 104 MPH at Castrol Raceway in Edmonton (2,200 ft. elevation) last month. Tried to get a sea level race at GCVWS in Mission, B.C., but it was rained out...hoping for mid-12's there next year.

This is a full-weight street Beetle (minus bumpers) that I drive pretty much every day...the IDA's have a third progression hole to permit smooth city driving. Here's a pic from Race City Motorsports Park in Calgary:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
rockdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Canadian Beetle Reply with quote

That is a speedy little ride Neil. Met you at Concept one this summer with my slammed 63 slidin rag from High River. Green and tan with sprintstars.
You got me thinkin bout making the 1915 LARGER. Back at work, finally, up north, and if Stelmach keeps his yap shut we can get caught up and will get back to work on my car. Cool to see you here. Great site this Samba huh. Spend a lot of time here perusin and cruisin it. Regards Rockdoc.

neil68 wrote:
Update:
Well I tinkered with my '68 Beetle and installed a Web 86C camshaft this summer, to go along with the Weber IDA's. Best ET was 12.9 seconds at 104 MPH at Castrol Raceway in Edmonton (2,200 ft. elevation) last month. Tried to get a sea level race at GCVWS in Mission, B.C., but it was rained out...hoping for mid-12's there next year.

This is a full-weight street Beetle (minus bumpers) that I drive pretty much every day...the IDA's have a third progression hole to permit smooth city driving. Here's a pic from Race City Motorsports Park in Calgary:

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You got me thinkin bout making the 1915 LARGER.

What kind of combo are you running now in the 1915cc?

It never ends, we have two 2110cc and they are very streetable but more HP is always fun.
Just make sure you have everything else to back up the HP increase.
How about posting some pics Rocdoc, I saw your car Das Volks weekend.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Sportbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow Canucks!
Todd here from Mississauga Ontario.

I'm in a dilemma, I'm trying to register my project '73 Super and the MOT is telling me that because the car is over 20 years old they don't have it listed in their Red Book for a value, so they have nothing to reference my bill of sale against, so they are telling me I have to have it appraised.

The car is a shell on 4 wheels right now, no fenders, glass, wiring or interior, even the engine is out.

They will accept either a registered MOT vehicle appraiser or a New/Used car dealer to sign off the appraisal form.

Is there anyone around that can help me out so I can get the car in my name (unplated and Unfit) so I can continue my restoration?

Please & Thanks!

Todd
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportbugger wrote:
Hello fellow Canucks!
Todd here from Mississauga Ontario.

I'm in a dilemma, I'm trying to register my project '73 Super and the MOT is telling me that because the car is over 20 years old they don't have it listed in their Red Book for a value, so they have nothing to reference my bill of sale against, so they are telling me I have to have it appraised.

The car is a shell on 4 wheels right now, no fenders, glass, wiring or interior, even the engine is out.

They will accept either a registered MOT vehicle appraiser or a New/Used car dealer to sign off the appraisal form.

Is there anyone around that can help me out so I can get the car in my name (unplated and Unfit) so I can continue my restoration?

Please & Thanks!

Todd

That's been the proceedure for a few years now. I've gone to my local VW dealership in the past and asked them for an appraisel. They just fill out a form which contains an estimated value. They basically just asked me what it was worth and I told him what I paid for it.

Good luck.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Sportbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bring the car to the VW dealer or just the appraisal form?

My car is not mobile, I don't want to tow it anywhere this time of year and the appraisal form indicates I have 60 days to complete from the date of purchase, MOT says I should get the car in my name within 6 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just need someone authorized to sign off the MOT appraisal form saying the car is worth ???? what ever and I will pay the taxes on the higher amount to get it in my name.

Thanks again

Todd
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I didn't even bring the car. I just brought pics, current ownership signed by the po, and the receipt. The guy that filled out the appraisel probably wouldn't admit it but I think he just under cut the receipt since the ministry is going to tax you on the highest amount anyway.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
52 BSA C11G
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
Sportbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportbugger wrote:

My car is not mobile, I don't want to tow it anywhere this time of year and the appraisal form indicates I have 60 days to complete from the date of purchase, MOT says I should get the car in my name within 6 days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just need someone authorized to sign off the MOT appraisal form saying the car is worth ???? what ever and I will pay the taxes on the higher amount to get it in my name.

Thanks again

Todd

Disregard my request - Manuel at VeeWorld in Brampton is going to look after me.

Todd
Sportbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportbugger wrote:
Sportbugger wrote:

Thanks again

Todd

Disregard my request - Manuel at VeeWorld in Brampton is going to look after me.

Todd

Disregard my disregard - Manuel declined on helping me out, when I showed up with all the documents and pictures of the car (in the middle of its restoration) he was under the impression that I would show up with the car completed and he could see it in person.
The *&%^ ing provincial government has guys like him too scared to help me out, he feels threatened about losing his licence and or business if he under appraises the value and I end up paying less taxes...

Is there anyone out there in the Southern Ontario area that knows someone in the new or used car business that is familiar with this procedure / document that will be willing to help me out??

Todd
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used these guys, but that was for an appraisal for the agreed value insurance form. Call them up and see. I believe the guy I dealt with was Blake

http://www.actionappraisal.ca/
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pay tax on the appraised amount or sales price, whichever is higher. As long as the appraisal is lower than what you paid, there's really isn't any liability on his part.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
52 BSA C11G
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the VW dealers in toronto will do this type of appraisal. this is the MOT mandated appraisal, not the one you want for an agreed value insurance policy. the stupid thing is that they are two totally different documents/purposes and usually one is about 10x the dollar amount of the other...
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who lives in Northern Ontario?

Saw a nice 66(?) beetle with repop Fuchs parked at the waterfront in North Bay the other night. Good looking car.
John Spironello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Well known June Jitter Bug MC passes away Reply with quote

It is with great sadness that I bring news of Rob Lehman passing away. Rob was the voice/ MC of the June Jitter Bug held in Niagara Falls Ontario. Rob passed away early Thursday, August 26th morning in his sleep at the young age of 40. Rob has been a strong part of why the June Jitter Bug has survived for 24 years. He was always there when you needed him. His devotion to collecting sponsors was second to none. He never had a complaint come out of his mouth. Rob was one of those nice guys that never had a bad thing to say. Rob and his wife Lisa were a great team and worked hard restoring their Red Bus. Rob & Lisa also ran RL Signs and were present at most Ontario VW shows. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him. Rest in Peace Rob Lehman, you were a very special person.
rockdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry WIKI: Have finally got back to work and am just now back at catching up. As I don't use "either space" to store my photos I'm not sure how to post em??. Bug guts are 69X94 with 041 flowed heads, lightened flywheel, 110 cam, forged crank, full flow oil, shaped rods, total balance, 48 webers, phat boy. It really runs well and probably has enough power ...... but. You know. Will pull motor this fall and do the push rod tubes and want to install a type 4 cooler but am wondering if I should go the : big block" route or just leave well enough alone. Would like a ride in a big inch motored car to see what I'm missing though. Hope to be home for our High River show this year but work HAS to come first as I was off for 11 months and really need to play catch up this year. Keep in touch, perhaps at thr River City car show this year. It's gonna be huge as we have more room to accomodate enthusiasts this year. 1200 last year so this should be nuts!!.

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
You got me thinkin bout making the 1915 LARGER.

What kind of combo are you running now in the 1915cc?

It never ends, we have two 2110cc and they are very streetable but more HP is always fun.
Just make sure you have everything else to back up the HP increase.
How about posting some pics Rocdoc, I saw your car Das Volks weekend.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Rob Lehman (RIP) Reply with quote

Quote:
It is with great sadness that I bring news of Rob Lehman passing away. Rob was the voice/ MC of the June Jitter Bug held in Niagara Falls Ontario. Rob passed away early Thursday, August 26th morning in his sleep at the young age of 40. Rob has been a strong part of why the June Jitter Bug has survived for 24 years. He was always there when you needed him. His devotion to collecting sponsors was second to none. He never had a complaint come out of his mouth. Rob was one of those nice guys that never had a bad thing to say. Rob and his wife Lisa were a great team and worked hard restoring their Red Bus. Rob & Lisa also ran RL Signs and were present at most Ontario VW shows. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him. Rest in Peace Rob Lehman, you were a very special person.

I met Rob and his wife Lisa about 20yrs ago. And for about 10yrs we would often hit about 3 - 4 VW Shows around Southern Ontario. They even came to Burlington cruse night a few times and stole the show. All the times with Rob and his wife were great times. I am am in total shock right now. I saw Rob in June at the June Jitter Bug and we picked up right where we left off. He was a stand-up guy who would didn't have a negative word to say about anyone. I will miss him a lot and my prayers go out to his bride Lisa. Rob you meant a lot to a lot of people and we will think about you often.
Darrell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phanal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: New canadian bug owner Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm from Quebec and I just bought my first beetle. My first VW was a 1985 vanagon that I sold last year.

Really love this ''van a Con'' like I name it. Translation could be ''stupid van''. Drive it 3 years and sold it to buy my bug.

So, here are my bug.

Originaly sent in the prairies, Canada, as state my birth certificate that I order from wolfburg. Number match car with not much rust on it (under battery). The last owner paint it that way 3 years ago. The black dot are sticker. I'm planning to paint it back to original color (lotus white)

Now, I'm searching for a great tranny rebuilder near me (Quebec province or east ontario). I'm thinking about converting my tranny to a freeway flyer.

It may take some time but I will make it look like the picture above.

So, if you are in quebec city area and like to meet and talk, let's do it Very Happy

Thanks

1967 beetle Canadian standard
1967 deluxe Beetle (sold)
1959 panel bus (rusted out)
1985 vanagon (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: tranny builder Reply with quote

I know you specified an Ontario or Quebec transmission builder, but I would also recommend Rancho Performance in California. I've purchased two transmissions from them (I live in Alberta) and they offer excellent telephone support and stand behind their products. They ship promptly and the price is fair...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mzac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Canadian in Mexico, first VW arriving soon Reply with quote

I've spent the last five years here in Mexico doing a PhD, and starting a family. In about a week, I'll be taking delivery of my first VW Beetle, or as they call them here in Mexico, "VW Sedán".

Not even sure of the year yet... Wink We need something inexpensive for transportation, and this one is for sale by a 2nd cousin.

I have always wanted a Beetle, and never thought I'd find myself in this part of the world for so long. In recent years my thoughts have turned less to a full-on authentic VW, and more toward finding a base car for an EV conversion.

So - in the months ahead, I'll be driving you lot crazy with questions about getting a Mexican Sedán into Canada. I've done a bit of research and realize that it's damn near impossible, but... the emissions thing should be no big deal, given that I have no intention of driving it as a gas-burning vehicle... yeah, I know, wishful thinking. Bureaucracies are built to stop things from happen, not enable them...

Will post pics of my ride once the keys are in hand.

Cheers from here,
Mark
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello from waterloo ontario,
this is my 68 beetle i bought a few months back
still a work in progress

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: