Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need tire suggestions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Need tire suggestions Reply with quote

I found this beautiful Squareback for $400 and have been driving it for a week, but I am worried about the tires. Today one of them went flat and the spare is no good either. The car had been sitting for five years, so I guess I need new ones.

The car is stock so I think I need 165-80-15 tires. (Am I correct that that is the equivalent of 165-R-15, which it says on the tires? I really have no idea what the numbers mean and all the posts I find that reference tires talk about EMPI 8-spoke wheels, which I am sure I do not have). I am unable to find that size tire available at any of the large web-based places like Big-O and MallWart. A local place in my neighborhood quoted me $60 per tire, which seems steep for five tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places to try? Has anyone managed to buy stock tires at Big O or Costco or some place like that? Somehow most cars I have bought have had good tires on them so I am not used to having to replace a whole set at a time.

Thanks for the advice!

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you'll find a 165-80-15 tire listed by anybody, but it's the equivilent to a 165-15. If you don't mind stepping outside the box, you could go with a 185-65-15, as this will fit the stock rim, be the same size in diameter, and put a slightly wider contact patch with the road (improves braking). Very Happy These might be easier to find and a little cheaper than 60 per tire. Wink I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably best off if you forget trying to find tires through the online channels .. most of the backend programming in those sites gets confused if you don't enter a numeric aspect ratio (ie 185/65R15) and the stock tire is simply a 165R15. You'd probably be best off just calling on the phone.

That said, I "faked" things and found a listing for Nankang Metric at Big O's website: http://www.bigotires.com/index.asp?PG=2&Sub=12a&Tire=165R15, and Arizonan Premium Metric at Discount Tire/America's Tire Company through their website: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize...&rd=15. Also, Kumho has a 165R15
(though listed as 165/80R15) in their Power Star 758 line .. Kumho's are usually available through Sears Auto Centers, as well as America's Tire Company and PepBoys.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
Kevin S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could swing by your local Les Schwab Tire and those guys could hook you up with a good set. A 165-15 Jupiter is a pretty inexpensive tire too. If you have a Les Schwab in your area. Far better warantee that America's tire, Sears or Pep Boys
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. I specifically didn't mention Schwab because the locator on the website doesn't show any in San Francisco. Nearest ones it finds are in Livermore and Napa (40-ish miles). I *know* there's a couple of Big-O's in SF, I *think* there's a Sears auto center .. I think there's a Pep Boys by now but I could be wrong.

Having grown up in the Bay Area (north Bay) and knowing what the freeways and bridges are like .. correction: knowing what the *IDIOTS* that're *DRIVING* on the freeways and bridges are like .. I wouldn't want to push my luck driving on tires of unknown condition very far.
Kevin S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. Tires are very important.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: