Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric Windshield Washer Pump Installation FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Electric Windshield Washer Pump Installation FAQ Reply with quote

Man, what a PITA it was to chase the hose connections. The PO had removed all the hoses, and reaching those nozzles up under the dash sucked. I recommend pulling the dash if you're not a Yoga instructor!

The goal was minimal changes to the existing system, but fully functional.

Crap, forgot pics of the tank. Well, I pulled the hose with the fitting for the compressed air. That little port there makes an excellent place to allow air in when the pump pulls the fluid out and won't leak unless I roll the bus.

Here's the kit I installed:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First thing to do was find a place to mount it. I really wanted to put it down low by the tank but I couldn't find a good way to get a drill and/or a screwdriver in the likely locations. So it's right under the fresh air vents.

This would have been a great location except for the fact that the !#$%#$^ thing turns into an echo chamber. So the pump is louder than I like.

I ran new line from the bottom of the tank to the pump, then the existing line that was still attached to the tank up to the T connector midway between the two nozzles. New line from the T to the nozzles.

The switch was mounted in a hole thoughtfully left for me by the PO. I just had to open it up a bit for the switch.

Man, if I need more switches I'm going to have to actually put my own brackets in or something. I'm out of PO holes. Wink

The spray pattern leaves something to be desired. Is this normal for bus nozzles?

Seems awfully narrow to me.

Anyway, it works quite well. If/when I can afford to replace the washer switch (since the thing shorts out on 2 of the wiper circuits anyway) I'll remove the switch I wired in today.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer Pump Installation Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
The spray pattern leaves something to be desired. Is this normal for bus nozzles?

Pretty much. The tip of the nozzle rusts and turns from a spray into a stream. It was never great to begin with.

The wipers do most of the work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bochintz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was able to drill out the bottom of the tank and fit the pump right tight into the tank fit thetank back in a bango works great
one prob i had earlier was if you don't mount the pump lower or at the same height it would not draw so to speak there ment to pump not suck
so i drilled out the connect for the hose and siliconed it in place man it works great as fro the speay pattern it took me a long time to get it to hit the window in the right spot
peace out

Don't look here for inspiration!😂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking your pump back off and putting rubber washers between it and the metal will help with the noise level.

bochintz is right about most of these pumps being pushers (pushing fluid) not for lifting but if it works I wouldn't worry too much.

You can try blowing air back through the nozzles (reverse of water flow) to get the crud out or you can replace them with newer models.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
TrickyThom
Samba Anarchist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer Pump Installation Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
This would have been a great location except for the fact that the !#$%#$^ thing turns into an echo chamber. So the pump is louder than I like.

"Free" sample of fatmat. (+$2.99 shipping) Put it under your pump.
http://www.fatmat.com/samples/fatmat.htm
rccbusfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to make this easy. Laughing
STEP 1. Just hold a spray bottle out the window with your favorite window wash.
Step 2. A few quick pumps or squirts (I know that sounds weird) Shocked
Step 3. Turn on wipers Cool
LudwigUSA
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Washer Pump Installation Reply with quote

TrickyThom wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

"Free" sample of fatmat. (+$2.99 shipping) Put it under your pump.
http://www.fatmat.com/samples/fatmat.htm

I actually have a couple 12"x12" sheets of dynamat floating around. Great idea!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that install several years ago. But I have an OEM washer button I made...

Take the stock wiper switch/washer button and cut the back off behind the button. Now when you push the switch the stock washer button with that long stick in it will poke out the back... I took a button and Zip tied it onto the washer switch and when I push the button that pokes the button and makes the water squirt out... but looking at the dash it looks stock.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rccbusfreak wrote:
I am going to make this easy. Laughing
STEP 1. Just hold a spray bottle out the window with your favorite window wash.

not so easy at 70MPH
grandfatherjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To have my pump lower than the tank I ended up mounting it "outdoors", just behind the front bumper. It is reasonably well protected from the weather, and it's not quite so noisy.
Jim
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this thread on electric washer pumps and thought I would add a bit of information based on my installation this weekend.

I would suggest highly to invest in some new washer nozzles if yours have been inop for some time. It also makes it easier to install the hose onto them before installation.

My pump did not really get 'mounted' anywhere. Just let it rest on the fiberglass insulation under the washer bottle. I've got a westy and there is a layer of fiberglass insulation behind the lower kick panels. No need for messy screws or brackets. Very quiet surrounded by the insulation.

Here's the good part. I've a newer style switch that has the electric contacts already in it. Being that my 79 did not have intermittant wipers, there are no wires in the factory connector to mate up with the ones on the switch. Fortunately I had a wiring harness laying around from a parted out bus. Removed 2 wires from the donor connector and installed them into the open spaces in the Westy's. Ran one to a 12v terminal on the headlight switch and the other to the pump.

I still have a couple of wires left from the donor connector if anyone's interested.

The spray pattern shown in the picture is exactly like mine with the new nozzles.

One of the very best and most useful improvements I've made to my bus over the last 5 years. Should have done it sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr'72Special
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have a couple of wires left from the donor connector if anyone's interested.

PM sent.

But on-topic, that looks like a good upgrade. Chabanais, does the '71 model year have the same wiper switch as '72?. I've thought about doing the same thing as you did, taking out the hydraulic valve and replacing it with an electric button instead. Would sure be better than hauling around a dishrag and some windex like I do now Rolling Eyes .
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is in the dash not sure. Mine's been installed for years and never had a problem and dash looks totally stock!

Mr'72Special wrote:
Quote:

PM sent.

But on-topic, that looks like a good upgrade. Chabanais, does the '71 model year have the same wiper switch as '72?. I've thought about doing the same thing as you did, taking out the hydraulic valve and replacing it with an electric button instead. Would sure be better than hauling around a dishrag and some windex like I do now Rolling Eyes .

timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
I just found this thread on electric washer pumps and thought I would add a bit of information based on my installation this weekend.

Excellent topic!
What type /model pump did you use? I too want this modification.
My bus has never seen a drop of wiper fluid with me, Im kinda used to no fluid, but upgrades are nice Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That OP was from 2005. The install was on the Great White Bus, a 73 Hightop conversion from German Delivery Westy. (Was that long enough for ya?)

The pump was transferred 3 years ago to the Guacamole bus, a 78 hard top. I did as was mentioned above, just dropped it in underneath the tank. Works fine and is MUCH less noisy.
pb24ss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
cuizable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb24ss wrote:

Link

What a powerful pump..Where can I get it?

My NOS Bosch Coffee Maker

1971 Type1 1302 (1200cc)
1974 Type1 1200 (1200cc)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb24ss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuizable wrote:

I believe it is the trico that DurocShark posted the picture of to start the thread. It's the universal pump that all the local chain auto parts stores sell.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuizable wrote:
pb24ss wrote:

Link

And do some searching. There's a really cool way to mount that switch in the factory location so it's hidden and works with the wiper lever. It might be in this post. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a small momentary contact switch so operation of the washer remains the same. Keeps everything looking stock.

-John

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: