Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pan switch for a 65 square
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65Swngr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there i did it!! I took the square to the michanic and they razed that shit up in the air like 6 feet, my good buddy who is a VW michanic and some other folks looked at it and said they never seen such a rotted pan before.. well anyhow they said there is no way possible to fix the pan, even the middle part of the pan u know the pipe thing has holes under it.. Crying or Very sad so i have no choice but to replace it with the 70's pan....

o yeah i was wondering if i can use my 5 lug suspension and put it on my 70's pan or do i have to replace it... Shocked
87 cabrio- daily driver
new update
speedo works now started at 74851
now- 83116
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Swngr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well..... somebody tell me!
87 cabrio- daily driver
new update
now- 83116
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can swap the suspension. I have a '69 pan under my '64 Notch, but it has the original 5-lug '64 suspension. The front beam and the complete rear suspension were swapped over.
3squared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howies right the complete rear subframe unbolts in one unit so the tranny aand all that fun stuff does not half to come out. There is a plate on the under side of the pan with four small bolts and one bigger one. there are also four more bolts to unbolt, two at the shock towers and by the spring plate area. The whole 65 rear end can be mounted to the 70's or later pan with out any trouble. Good luck have fun... Been there done that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be a little late based on the original post but from experience The 65 and at least a 70 pan are slightly different in all the ways prev described but also the wheel wells in the front are slightly different meaning the heater channel will not 100 percent line up. I had to install heater channels on my 65 notch I used a 70 donor Fastback all I had to do to accomodate this difference is cut a wedge in the wheel well and pull it in than weld and patch the wedge. sounds confusing but I would be happy to share pics. also the mounting of the engine is entirely different and compared to the heater channels was a bit of a challenge my 2 cents says weld in the pan halves
65Swngr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i know about the back part but thanks for the info..... what im worried about is the front beams, the part that holds the front suspension.. can i add my 5 lug suspension to the 70's pan? Becuse the original one is rotted all the way and i dont think it can hold for much longer

this part is what im concern about? i hope i can still use my 5 lug suspension and add it too this one.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=245195

about the pan half.... the original pan is completely gone even the center tubing has holes, I had my VW buddies see it and lifted the square on hydraulics about 6 feet up and its gone... there’s no choice but to replace it... it would be more work trying to fix it... anyhow I took pictures of it but having trouble loading it too my computer
87 cabrio- daily driver
new update
now- 83116
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the front beam on the 65 is good, you can unbolt it and it should bolt right up to the 70 pan. You can leave all of the steering components in place and just disconnect the column. Should be an easy swap if you have someone to help you lift it. I pulled one by myself and they are a pain to move around without help.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the beam is no good, you still can swap all the brake parts from the backing plates out and fit it all. Just make sure you start looking for and buying brake parts now, because eventually you'll have to rebuild your brakes and the early Type 3 brakes are not cheap. I just redid mine and now I'm looking for parts again so I will have spares on hand for everything.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Swngr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!! i hope it goes smooth, what about the shifting stick thing on my 65 can i still put it in the 70's pan?

im just trying to get as much information as i can before i start but damn pics i cant load them up too my computer so u folks can see how bad it is
but i'll keep trying

besides that thanks alot for the info Very Happy
87 cabrio- daily driver
new update
now- 83116
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: