Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 type 3 notch with ghia floorpans
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: 69 type 3 notch with ghia floorpans Reply with quote

first time on this forum. my name is jon, live on the westcoast of canada. i own a 69 notchback that is currently under serious construction. My question is with regards to floor pan replacement. I got the idea to replace my rusted floor pans with ghia pans from pictures i saw in the gallery here and on kcw web site on a car they had done (jason's notch). i have downloaded every picture i can find and have had a brief e-mail conversation with John @ kcw. i have all the parts i will need and everything is laid out and ready to go. a friend and i spent a couple of hours today looking everything over and figuring it out. I am hoping for any helpful hints or pointers from anyone who may have done this repair in the past. tools and equipment are not an issue as i work in a bodyshop. any help you guys can offer up is greatly appreciated. thanks Jon.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I have heard, most of the problems are with bolt hole alignment. I have not done it myself, I would be interested in what you come up with.
If you could photo document it, it would be help for the whole T-3 community. In fact, I would be willing to supply you with space to post the pictures, on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/albums.php?set_albumListPage=1
Let know if you are interested, and I can set you up.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonnynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolt hole alignment is one of my big concerns. to get the hole as accurate as possible i had planned to use my tram guages to measure all the holes from a set reference point, i was planning on using one the threaded insert holes on top of the tunnel. then i will record all this info. on a homemade frame chart that i will draw. i think this will take most of the guess work out of the hole placement. as far as posting images of the repair on my floor pans on your site, i'm stoked on the idea. i checked out the site and it looks pretty cool. only problem is i suck with a computer, so if you are willing to help me out with getting the pictures up i would be into it. bear in mind though that this repair will take a good deal of time to complete as i am working on it in my spare time and september is the time of year when the auto collision industry really picks up here in rainy vancouver. i will keep you posted on my progress. thanks Jon.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cut up both Type 3's and Ghias and can tell you that his "Ghia pan to replace a Type 3 pan" is nothing more than hodge-podge patching. The Ghia pan won't fit right in place, and honestly, you should have sheet metal for pans fabricated locally. The only thing these body guys do with the Ghia pans is chop and stretch them to match the contours of the Type 3, and even that requires a ton of work. Just my 2-cents.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you up load to the site. I will give you your own album and a login with password.
Let me know when you are ready, And we can watch the progress.
You can contact me at [email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its kind of a patch job, But what else are you going to do? You will want to cut the type 3 pan right behind the battery. That is the hardest part to make fit. Also the area around the front wheel wells is a little difficult. A ghia pan half is similar in shape, but not at all the same. Its not too hard to do, just becareful(measure twice, cut once)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat-Chick-Franz wrote:
Yeah, its kind of a patch job, But what else are you going to do? You will want to cut the type 3 pan right behind the battery. That is the hardest part to make fit. Also the area around the front wheel wells is a little difficult. A ghia pan half is similar in shape, but not at all the same. Its not too hard to do, just becareful(measure twice, cut once)!

No, that is measure 5 times, cut long, trim to fit.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
I have cut up both Type 3's and Ghias and can tell you that his "Ghia pan to replace a Type 3 pan" is nothing more than hodge-podge patching. The Ghia pan won't fit right in place, and honestly, you should have sheet metal for pans fabricated locally. The only thing these body guys do with the Ghia pans is chop and stretch them to match the contours of the Type 3, and even that requires a ton of work. Just my 2-cents.

Yup, the one I've seen done using ghia pans, left the original t-3 mounting hole strip in place, and the ghia pan was trimmed to fit the remaining opening. Rolling Eyes It did look good, but it wasn't an OE fit. When I did my wife's car, I replaced the rusty sections with t-3 pan parts, and when it was done it didn't look like it had been altered. Cool The way I look at it, is if you're going to leave that mounting strip, then you can use anything that you can stand on and call it a floor. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jonnynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bobnotch and Icy, this is a patch job. The main problem with my pans are the outer bolt flanges they have big holes near each bolt hole and around the front into the wheel well. The main part of either side have some holes but all in all are not to bad. The point of having pan patches made at a tin shop is an excellent idea however i would still need the outer flange, so this becomes quite expensive to purchase all these parts. Pans alone set back nearly $500. I had some free time at work today to spend on the ghia pan fitting the left side and am happy with the progress so far. I will post some pictures when i can and if i can figure out how to put pictures up. Thanks, i appreciate your input. Bobnotch i like your roadster, very cool. You are a braver man than i, that looks like a ton of work.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnynotch wrote:
Pans alone set back nearly $500. I had some free time at work today to spend on the ghia pan fitting the left side and am happy with the progress so far. I will post some pictures when i can and if i can figure out how to put pictures up. Thanks, i appreciate your input. Bobnotch i like your roadster, very cool. You are a braver man than i, that looks like a ton of work.

You might want to contact the DDB, or even Neil (Notchback), and see if they have any full pan halfs that they want to part with. The DDB is in Oregon, and Neil is in Idaho, so both are semi close. Wink

Thanks for the compliments, It was a ton of work, but I enjoy doing that sort of thing. Twisted Evil For me it's a hobby, not my day job. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnynotch wrote:
I agree with Bobnotch and Icy, this is a patch job. The main problem with my pans are the outer bolt flanges they have big holes near each bolt hole and around the front into the wheel well. The main part of either side have some holes but all in all are not to bad. The point of having pan patches made at a tin shop is an excellent idea however i would still need the outer flange, so this becomes quite expensive to purchase all these parts. Pans alone set back nearly $500. I had some free time at work today to spend on the ghia pan fitting the left side and am happy with the progress so far. I will post some pictures when i can and if i can figure out how to put pictures up. Thanks, i appreciate your input. Bobnotch i like your roadster, very cool. You are a braver man than i, that looks like a ton of work.

If possible, check with a local auto body restorer who can do custom panel beating. Unless you are building a museum piece, I see nothing wrong with someone custom fabbing pans that will fit better than Ghia pans halves that are trimmed to fit. Besides, with custom pans, people who inspect your car will "Ooooh" and "Ahh" at the work.
jonnynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both great ideas (Bobnotch and Icy), my ghia pan halves are already cut so i will see this repair thru as originally planned. I will put some pictures up on Russ Wolfes web site. Still hoping i might get a veiw of those "ohhs" and "ahhhs". Thanks for the further input. Jon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: