Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clueless VW Owners
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokopelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Clueless VW Owners Reply with quote

The more I dig into my Bus the more I loathe the previous owners lack of VW knowledge Exclamation They put new brakes in it and then never adjusted the manual adjusters, nothing was ever lubed, half of the fittings and adjustable parts were completely frozen Evil or Very Mad I am sorry but if you do not know what you are doing then keep your wrenches away and get yourself a qualified mechanic Exclamation Thank You Exclamation Shocked Peace, Aaron
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen POs do everything from rewire a car with only black wire to tin foil in the fuses to street signs used to patch holes in the floor.

Before you buy a car you need to determin if the PO was "sort of handy". If so... walk away.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kokopelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes are all good now Very Happy You'll love this instead of fixing the tracks for the front seats they tore the tracks out and welded the seat frame directly to the floor Laughing I replaced the tracks and drivers seat a couple of weeks ago and I am replacing the hooks and pass seat today. When I picked the bus up I noticed that it was running very lean and hot but that the carb was set very rich. Once I got a good look inside I noticed that they didn't have the intake rubbers on right Rolling Eyes Luckily they hadn't owned the bus too long before they realized it was too much for them to handle. Everything so far be it a pain in the ass has been fairly easily fixed. I'm just glad I was able to save the bus from an untimely grave. Very Happy Peace, Aaron
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-6 license plates welded to the hole in the floor board of my wife's 69 poptop when we bought it Laughing

I have also never bought a VW that had a properly working ignition switch.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of VW killers out there - folks who buy an ACVW because it's cool, drive it into the ground, then scrap it...or if you're lucky, sell it for $50. It's a shame how many I've seen like that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best stuff I have seen is wood screws (flat tip) used to hold headlight assys, and enough fiberglass to build a small bayliner.
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the "Silicon fix" for leaks- a whole tube of the stuff that water can still get behind when a gasket would have been $20. Rolling Eyes Or the kind who use duct tape that quickly dry rots thus negating it's original purpose and leaves the most horrible mess to try to clean after it's dried out. I know I'll get crucified for saying it, but duct tape is not a good fix for much of anything in my opinion (the heavy duty military stuff is an exception for some applications).

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajatacoma wrote:
I also like the "Silicon fix" for leaks- a whole tube of the stuff that water can still get behind when a gasket would have been $20. Rolling Eyes Or the kind who use duct tape that quickly dry rots thus negating it's original purpose and leaves the most horrible mess to try to clean after it's dried out. I know I'll get crucified for saying it, but duct tape is not a good fix for much of anything in my opinion (the heavy duty military stuff is an exception for some applications).

I don't know where the Corps gets their duct tape today but when I was in, in the early 80s, they got it from ShurTape in Hickory NC. The same old tape you could buy at Lowes.
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO of my vert covered the dash with felt, threw away all the dash knobs and replaced them with kitchen cabinet gold knobs, tossed the arm rests and used drawer pulls, and worst of all used a gallon of contact cement to glue down shag carpet. I cussed him for days fixing that shit.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rewired my first bug with all black wire. I thought it would look "clean". I did a nice job of it too but looking back it was not a good decision.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I rewired my first bug with all black wire. I thought it would look "clean". I did a nice job of it too but looking back it was not a good decision.
So it was you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Major Woody wrote:
So it was you!

Mine was wired with all RED wire.

"...To keep people from being able to hot wire it" -previous owner
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rocker panel on my bus has ridges all along it, so I suspect it to have been replaced with a gutter from a house and bondo-ed over Laughing For all that work, they could have just bought a replacement. The best was my old Mercedes. When my front brake locked up one day, I found out it probably had something to do with a large slice on the rubber line being repaired with a piece of electrical tape. It was caked with grease so I never noticed it. I can't believe the thing made it several hundred miles like that until it ran dry and locked up solid.
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh, well if we are talking about POs of other makes of cars...

I once had a volvo with a slow oil leak... got underneith it and found the source of the leak... a ruptured oil line "repaired" with PART OF A SHOE with those plastic zip ties holding it on!!! I just can't believe it was a slow leak.
hambone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT's funny, the older these vehicles get, the more their Karma racks up. It's up to us, trusty VW Warriors, to return them to a state of grace! Be careful out there, people.
Driveway Jewelry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgentBehemoth wrote:
Bajatacoma wrote:

I don't know where the Corps gets their duct tape today but when I was in, in the early 80s, they got it from ShurTape in Hickory NC. The same old tape you could buy at Lowes.

The stuff they use in the Army "100mph tape" sucks ass!! it soesnt hold anything. only sticks to itself. worthless. they stuff from the store is better.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen POs do everything

POs and POS are spelled the same... cuz one usually causes the other Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good and bad with the PO:

my square was owned my a man whose daughter used the car as a daily driver; dad maintained the car pretty well. when the daughter hit something, damaging the rt front fender, he put the car into storage with the intention of fixing it. He changed the oil, plugs, set the points gap, etc...

then he died... and the car sat in storage for about 15 years....

while in storage, a cat was kept in the car.. the cat slept in it and someone fed the cat in the car.... 15 years of cat hair, cat food and cat piss...

now, the upside was that no mice made their home in the car, so no chewed through wires, nests or mice droppings....

it took several months of several different cleaning agents and airing the car out... but it finally smells much better, with only the occasional whiff of what used to be....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ozone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: I know if mine ever goes south in a crash Reply with quote

And i make it i'm going to build me a Trike or sand rail out of the motor if it makes it. I don't think i can ever sell mine, just get more and more later on.

Laterz
Ozone
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I've seen POs do everything from rewire a car with only black wire

If everything works right , thats like a work of art ! Do you know how hard that is , and to get it all right. I had a jigsaw puzzle , like that very difficult when it's all the same color. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: