Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project continues
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Project continues Reply with quote

Well, summer is almost over. And temps are dropping up here in the PacNW... but, I got a lot done on my 66 project, and figured I'd post it up. I received the car as a baja last year, and since then I've done the best I could to make it a reliable daily driver. Proud to say it's never left me on the side of the road. Much work is needed to get to my goal, but it's coming along slow but sure.

Please post your summer projects up as well!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres one I`ve been working on. And as soon as I sell it I will start on my 65 Panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Heres one I`ve been working on. And as soon as I sell it I will start on my 65 Panel.

Damn! That's a nice ride. Is that a 64?

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 63. Thanks. I have more pics in my gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought this car in the latter part of June. This isn't a recent pic as the fenders and running boards (among a bevy of other things) have since been removed and the car is now about ready to have the body lifted off the chassis for a channel and pan replacement.

Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V.W.Baron wrote:
Well, I bought this car in the latter part of June. This isn't a recent pic as the fenders and running boards (among a bevy of other things) have since been removed and the car is now about ready to have the body lifted off the chassis for a channel and pan replacement.

By the picture alone I would have never guessed it needs all that welding. It looks very nice.
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments! Smile She's a sweet car and all original too (excepting an exterior repaint in the OG color in the 70s). It's funny because the car has very little rust (especially for an East Coast car), but the few places that there is rust is fairly serious. The vent area of the right heater channel is eaten away (caused by a small hole in the inner-fender) and the right floor pan has numerous pin-holes along with the battery section being completely gone. The left floor pan doesn't have any holes, but is a bit thin right behind the driver's seat. I may or may not replace that one. As far as I can determine, the left heater channel is near-perfect.

I probably would be further ahead in the restoration than what I am but I'm having one hell of a time finding correct repro pans and channels for this car. All I can find is either generic, fit-all-year stuff or parts for later model Beetles. NOS stuff isn't readily available here, so I guess I'm going to have to do some hacking and modifying to make parts period correct for a 63. I hate to resort to that, but I'm going for a stock restoration. Accuracy is important to me.
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and enjoy it. Many times the ride is just as much fun as getting there. Very Happy
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope you're right, Miguel. I need all the encouragement I can get. Laughing
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V.W.Baron wrote:
I certainly hope you're right, Miguel. I need all the encouragement I can get. Laughing

You will do great Very Happy Remember never to add the cost or your better half will be very Mad Finally remember to post pics when you are done.
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definately be sure to post pics of the finished product. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: