Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Improving buggy mpg?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

So I recently installed a Mex Fuel injection engine on my Manx style buggy.

I got pretty good mpg with this in the bug but not very good in the buggy.

I am getting 16mpg driving fast around town and look like I am going to hit about 20mpg driving very economically.

I connected the computer and all sensors are happy and talking, no emergency mode and spark plugs show no signs of rich burn.

I thought the light weight of the buggy would outweigh any aerodynamics lost to the bug?

Or do big rear tires (275/75 bf Goodrich 20 psi) cause the lower mileage? Front are stock size.

Did I just answer my own question?!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

The windshield has an effect. It's like a barn door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

You kind of answered your own question when you stated you drive fast around town. Your right foot is the biggest determinant of mileage. And as Chaz said, the big flat window up front doesn't help.

brad
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

I have always thought a windbreaker style windshield would look better and be more fun to drive (like the ones they use on older formula one cars).

Would also be save some weight made from plastic.

Would love a windscreen that could fold down. I read the early Manx had these.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

A buggy is a wind tunnel trainwreck. It all starts with the windshield and continues with a body designed to get "Sister Bertrille" airborn.

AMAC
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

After having driven enough miles, I can tell you with certainty that adding a top (even soft top) will increase you MPG. Drafting also works well but make sure you stay at a safe distance.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

And the big rear tires hurt it too. Takes more power to get you going.
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

So would be better to leave the windshield and put a hard top?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote:
After having driven enough miles, I can tell you with certainty that adding a top (even soft top) will increase you MPG. Drafting also works well but make sure you stay at a safe distance.

What do you and "drafter Paul" normally get on the cross country trips? 28 to 29?

Last two years, with a 2020 pound empty buggy running a 2165 cc engine, lifted in the air, 28.6 inch tall rear tires, taller windshield than normal, I have averaged 21.5 MPG.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

Bennym777 wrote:
So would be better to leave the windshield and put a hard top?

Hard top will def help your MPG
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving buggy mpg? Reply with quote

I bet Tom's screen thing that mounts to the roll bar will help forcing air over the vehicle and not through it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: