Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fast street T3's anyone
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turdburger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Fast street T3's anyone Reply with quote

Anyone on here running quick street legal T3's? what times ya running Twisted Evil and brief details please!
MK1 GTi Golf
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one of the guys at ISP West has a pretty quick squareback...
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would have to say I have a fast squareback with a 2054cc in it.
I'm a bug killer!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=210491
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notched wrote:
Ummmmm,

Yeah but this ones kinda old. Who ran that, Chris or Jason Lafler (sp) I think theve moved on to other things. This shot looks to be at Carlsbad Raceway (RIP) Crying or Very sad I remember when Paradise clonies would stir up crap to get you to race against this notch. NFW, cool notch all the same. There is a movie out there of this car popping a wheelie Twisted Evil

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastbackmartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say i have a pretty fast "fast". i shift at 7000 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. i'm pretty good at burn tires too.
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent taken mine to the track yet, but its really fast. 2 liter turbo

-Ryan
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73notch wrote:

-Ryan

Yeah you have to get that antifreeze leak fixed before they will let you run it sucka! Confused
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notched is it your car that pulls a wheelie, got a video of a blue notch doing a wheelie into 2nd gear then backing off, looks well cool, if it is yours
major respect dude its ace Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my car. From what I understand, the Lauffers plugged one of their dragster motors in their Notch. I'll have to look for some videos of it pulling wheelies.

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris damaged the front end of that notch landing a 2nd gear wheelie! he had to lift and still managed to run an 11 second pass...

my notch speedster is kinda quick.
just has a little engine in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw paradise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris's notch started out just like anyone else's. It was running mid 15's with a 2054. Over time the engine combination started to change. It finally ended up being a 2386. The best pass was a 12.10 @ 109 with no unit. Kris drove the car to the Bug-o-rama in AZ to race and do the burnout contest and a few other events that year. At the end of that year he put nitrous on the car and ran a 10.98. He yanked all of the drive train out of the and put it in the vert he has now. The notch was all steel with full interior. It had no roll cage at all. The turbo engine was a spur of the moment deal. Kris was getting his mid engine buggy powder coated so we through the buggy engine in the notch. We only ran it that weekend. The notch is leaving in two weeks to be re painted. I have videos of the burnout and the wheelie pass. Just send me an email and I will send them off to you.
Jason
[email protected]
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
73notch wrote:

-Ryan

Yeah you have to get that antifreeze leak fixed before they will let you run it sucka! Confused

fixed Very Happy

-Ryan

vw paradise, those videos are amazing, you sent me the 3 videos a while back. i can host them on our site if youd like, with your permission of course,
let me know.
Mike J. Goode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's gonna happen to the Notch?
turdburger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got me a 1776 in my '63...

So far got me a 15.2 at Santa Pod, but a CB dual valve spring broke a couple of months back and a bit had a fight with my oil pump and won = siezed bearing Mad so i've bought a 76mm for some 1955 action, should be ready soon!

Perhaps not everyones cup of tea, but the car was already a bit wrong, so i felt less bad about the upright conversion. Big carbs and manifolds vs suitcases... Laughing
MK1 GTi Golf
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask a question that I have searched for with little to no results!

How many guys are running a turbo in a type3 set up! If anyone here is running one could you post upp some pics? I am in the planning stage of building a t4 turbo for my 64 Notch but I have found almost no help in doing so ( except turbobob). I talked (e-mail) to Jake Rabe but he did not want to give any info. At first I was not sure why untill I read his entire site and found that he has not done much yet with t4 turbos and he seams to be the type that if he does not have concrete info for you he would rather not give info that may not be right. I respect this about him and his reputation. I have read the turbomania book and found it quite good but it is more bug related. I am going to do a 2+L t4 efi and turbo'd so I am looking for set ups to model after or just info to build off of. Sure I may blow the first one or two but that is not a big deal as long as I learn from my mistakes.

So any info out their? Good or bad?

Kevin
05 Tube frame rockcrawler
04 Mini Cooper S
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter if the book's focus is on the T1 engine, ours is the same thing except for the cooling setup.

I don't have any turbo experience or advice but here are some pictures to help out:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/ttt/engine/forced_induction/

I believe Jake is focused on the Porsche side of the T3 engine and thus there isn't much room for a turbo. He is a champion of the under-appreciated T4 engine and has done a lot to make it a power package. He's on the 914club.com forum a lot and business has expanded for him so much that he has a larger shop/store. Yeah, it's not easy to get info from him but he is running a business...

At least you're doing your research and reading Smile You're doing more than most would do so keep it up!
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:

I believe Jake is focused on the Porsche side of the T3 engine and thus there isn't much room for a turbo. He is a champion of the under-appreciated T4 engine and has done a lot to make it a power package. He's on the 914club.com forum a lot and business has expanded for him so much that he has a larger shop/store. Yeah, it's not easy to get info from him but he is running a business...

At least you're doing your research and reading Smile You're doing more than most would do so keep it up!

I just want to be sure this is not taken the wrong way about Jake. When I asked him about turbo's he said he does not have much t4 experance w/turbos but he will be playing with it in the near furture. As far as the comment about not giving much info, I take that as he is the type if he is not possitive about his facts he would rather not give posibly incorrect info. This is a good thing I think. Too many people just say what they think know or what a bud told them from someone else even if they have no personal experance. Jake seems to only give info on what he knows to be true thru personal experance! I will be calling him for my parts once I nail down exactly what I feel will work (for my first test motor atleast).

Kevin
04 Mini Cooper S
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you read at jakes site what he is getting out of a type4 without turbo, would you not be happier with the less complicated route.
You could also check out lowbuget racing. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rokcrln
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
if you read at jakes site what he is getting out of a type4 without turbo, would you not be happier with the less complicated route.
You could also check out lowbuget racing. Very Happy

No I think the #'s he is getting are sweet. I just want to try somthing different. If a turbo motor is set up right ( motor,turbo,fuel system) you will have a great daily driver that acts just like a non turbo motor but when you roll the gas it starts to scream. Also you make unbealivable power alot lower in the rpms than what it takes with a non turbo'd motor. Set up right power comes on during WOT about 2700-5000rpms. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to build a small motor and then slap a turbo on it to make up for lack of cc's. I will be building a 2100-2400cc motor then add a turbo to that. My Notch is being built just for fun and killing Honda's Very Happy

Kevin
04 Mini Cooper S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: