Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jereandjess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics) Reply with quote

After reading about a couple of people having close calls while pumping gas, I decided that we really should check ours out. I sure am glad we did!

This is what the 78 Bus looked like. Not too bad from that angle. A little frayed and split on the end.......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what the 77 Westy looked like:

WHOA! That's not good at all. I am glad we only drove about 1200 miles in it this summer!

So anyway, after getting both original pieces out, they looked like this:

You can now see the hole in the top one, from the 78. I must admit that we had had a bit of aroma from the 78 for a while, but I assumed it was just from those Weber's that were on it. We haven't driven it much since having the FI back on it.

Oh well...... Lastly, a picture of the 77 with the new fuel vapor line in, with new clamps. It's blurry, but you get the idea.

It was a bear contorting around to get up at that thing, but it all worked out. You MUST have a bit of patience in store before partaking in this VERY necessary evil.

Check yours!
69 Beetle - In the family since new
86 Wolfsburg Vanagon Camper "Weekender" since July 25, 2015
deschutestrout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious...I know the answer is easy for me to find but I'm lazy tonight Shocked What diameter hose did you need? Standard fuel line hose? Thanks...the pictures speak 1000 words.
'78 Westy "'Ole Red...The Happy Camper"
'78 Westy "The Big Turd"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChuxBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on whether you're a Popeye or an Olive Oyl, it could be useful to remove the 4 nuts and pull the tail lamp housing off the body. That provides a pretty good engine-in access to the hose. Luckily, I'm still in engine-out mode, so it was an easy job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a bear just to reach up there. Ive only checked it by feel. Maybe this weekend I'll take out the battery and get a look up there.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGuitarGuy
Riviera Penthouse Resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it hard to get clamps on there? Also I'm planning on doing this right away, I heard you don't need clamps on that line, is this true?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jereandjess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the standard FI fuel line hose. 7mm.

This is where we got ours:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=N0202811/1M

I opted to use clamps. There were none on the original line I removed. Is it 100% necessary? Probably not, but I figured I might as well make it as tight as I could. Why take the chance?

Putting the clamps on was not easy, and I forgot to put them on the hose before I attached it the first time. Had to back up and start again. It really was a whole lot of patience and working with one hand and a screwdriver.

I bet it would be MUCH easier to take the tail light out and then you could access it with both hands, and I did think about that for a minute, but I just perservered and finished it without taking anything else apart.

Remember, PATIENCE! Peace of mind is worth it.

Have a great day!
69 Beetle - In the family since new
86 Wolfsburg Vanagon Camper "Weekender" since July 25, 2015
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I checked mine yesterday while camping in Lake County and it was wet! Gas must have been sloshing around on the winding road across Mt. St. Helena. So I let the engine cool down and this morning pulled off the little hose, which completely broke it. Looked like your pictures.

Anyway, so that went well and I proceeded to put a new one on, but for the life of me I could not get my hose on there. I think it is because I don't have FI and the carb hose is thinner. So I tried to fix the old hose with electrical tape, but I had mangled it up too badly and it would not go back on cleanly. The lack of access is a bear. In the end I took one of those narrow spark plug sockets and duck taped the ends to the metal parts. A very unreliable hippy fix, but something needed to be there.

Fortunately, all these little towns in California have an autoparts store and 5 miles from where I was camped I was able to buy a piece of 5/16 hose that fit. (A reasonably loose sliding fit). With two hose clamps on the ends it feels pretty solid. I also experienced the frustration of trying to get those damn clamps on with a screwdriver and then I realized that a 1/4 inch socket would be much more handy and that worked well. I think it took about 20 minutes after I got the right piece of hose.

Thanks for making me check this!

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
Daisy71Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics) Reply with quote

So I'm looking at these photos and I have a 1971 bus. Does it have a completely different vent system?

I removed the charcoal canister and noticed the small hose that leaves from the canister and goes toward the front of the vehicle. Any idea where this goes or if I need to access it to change hoses or check it? Can you access this from the inside of the vehicle?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics) Reply with quote

That is the tank vent to charcoal canister hose, and it is different from the late bay setup shown above. It connects to the tank with one or two rubber lines inside the fuel tank compartment. If the engine out you should pull the firewall to inspect them and the filler neck hose if you do not know their condition.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics) Reply with quote

14 year thread revival Daisy - well done keeping the info together!

This might be a perfect zip tie application with the zip tool being the thing to tighten onto the new hose.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
14 year thread revival Daisy - well done keeping the info together!

I guess maybe the search function hit paydirt this time around?
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Daisy71Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced Fuel Vapor Line, all 2 inches of it. (pics) Reply with quote

So glad old posts stick around. I found tons of info without having to ask tons of repetitive questions. I hope someone finds my research useful years down the road. The hardest part on the old searches is figuring out what style and year bus they have and how much different it is than what you're working on. I'm always looking for something that was on an older or newer style than mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: