Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Cupholder Options
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Cupholder Options Reply with quote

I love a good cup of coffee . On a cool morning , driving downtown .
Problem is now the Van is up and running I have got nowhere to put the cup . I have 2 cupholders , but nowhere to fix them to .
Anyone had this problem and what did you do .
Dash is out , it has velour over it .
There is nowhere on the front panelling . Thats taken up with knobs and radios and ..........
Help . Sad

2001 Honda
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a "westy box"?

I mounted mine on the front of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbatzloff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try on the side of the passenger seat or on the panel in front of your shifter, or like mine, an aftermarket console right down the middle.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ! I want a cupholder but I'm just not shure what to do. I may go with the fold up one I see on ebay all the time. double stick tape it to the heater box panel in front of the shifter...I have the 3 seat setup so no middle console for now anyway.

I was also concidering one of those things that sits on the dash top that has a little desk on the passenger side....not shure what it's called or where to get it. I saw some on German ebay but shiping would be too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can go with the aftermaket center console or you can make a dash mounted one . i saw one on a 82 westy made from oak. or buy the dash one from eurocampers

http://www.eurocampers.com/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got 2 cupholders from Eurocampers this week along with some other stuff I ordered, 6.95 a piece about the cheapest I have seen BTW. I am mounting them on the heater panel in front of the shifter. I have seen it installed on some guys website (got the link off here I belive) and it looked like a good out of the way spot yet spot, yet still pretty easy to reach while in motion.
lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone , as I say I can't use tyhe dash , that is covered in velour . The heater cover behind the selecter has a overhang which prevents putting the cup in or out . Center aisle is no good cause I am a bit of an elephant . I would be kicking it off all the time . The only place I can see would be the bulkhead just below the heater panel but a bit of a stretch .
Randy , what is a westy box ? My van is just a GL although I plan to put a stove and fridge in .

2001 Honda
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWala, home made coffee cup/change/etc. holder. Unfortunately its "home made" And I don't have time to make any more. Feel free to copy though. I always get complements at the VW shows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just sew some Velcro to the valor and use adhesive backed Velcro on the bottom of the legs.
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the plastic fold down type and mounted them on the passenger seat pedastal across from the e-brake.

Couple things though, if you go this route, place them gingerly, the last thing you want to do is put a screw or a drill bit through the battery or the fuel overflow tank. The other thing is that these work great, just be sure to stow them when they are not in use. A dog and a kid will break them in nothing flat if they are left down.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff
I tried to find it but could not.
I saw a Vanagon owner that had purchased two of those boating cup holders that swing around. They are made of heavy chromed wire.
He mounted them to the left and right of his shifter on the cover below the dash that covers the heater. Available at any boating supply place.
They looked great and easy to get to.
Also, Go Westy has a great console for $99.00, those good fold up holders are goin for $18.00 x 2= $36.00 , for only $63.00 more you have alot of cool storage also and it's removeable. Laughing
lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Big B . A center console would have me crashing about like a moron in Mongolia . I need that space . But I did find an interesting cup holder at a marine place , http://www.iboats.com/mall/?dz=3403 Type in 'cup holder' in search and they have a self levelling cup holder , quite cheap really . Just wondering whether a car would be too unstable but I suppose no more than a boat .
I did spot some wire ones but these look far more 'chic' Wink

2001 Honda
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, the Attwood wire frame on the 2nd page of that search result is the one i was talking about.
COOL Cool
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 87 AT Vanagon I added 2 VW Westfalia cup holders by the shift lever. They fold up out of the way. I took off the cover drilled holes and used washers/lock washers/ nuts to put them in. Work great

Lloyd
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the cup holder in use this morning 20oz. Mocha Doesn't it make you want to get a Auto Vanagon Laughing

lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Brown wrote:
On the 87 AT Vanagon I added 2 VW Westfalia cup holders by the shift lever. They fold up out of the way. I took off the cover drilled holes and used washers/lock washers/ nuts to put them in. Work great
Lloyd

See that bulkhead , covered in carpet , just to the left of the cup holder , whats behind that ? Will I damage anything if I screw the holders there? Confused

2001 Honda
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater core is back there.
It does remove, and there is space to mount things, but I would be carefull!

I have mounted my cupholders to the Auto Trans shifter console using Super Double stick tape... One side held....

Matt
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mc hunt
Wipe down the surface, quickly with a little acetone and it will stay with the tape.
Quickly, because it will melt the plastic if you linger with it.
I use my wifes little makeup wipes, work great, but she can smell the carb cleaner, so I don't reuse em. Rolling Eyes
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this double cupholder from Wal mart, $7.50. I attached it with double back cold weather foam tape to the Lloyds mat. You can also put some plastic carpet screws into the carpet like they do with floor mats. THe cupholders adjust from supersize down to regular cans. It also has a small rectangular section in the middle for cell phones, keys etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...mp;lang=en
vwtom_ia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Wal-Mart version too. I mounted it right by the e-brake. It worked great. I plan on getting one for the new Van too.
Dharma_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Shelf and Cup Holder Inserts Reply with quote

Lovedavdubs:

I really like the shelf you fabricated. Where did you get the cupholder inserts???

Thanks.

Mike
Central KY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: