Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield hinge question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: windshield hinge question Reply with quote

How do I remove the windshield from the car? On the outside of each hinge that holds the windshield to the car are two screws. The inside of the hinge appears to be welded. Is there a proceedure? I need to straighten the hinges and then reattach them.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be bolts holding the hinges to the hood. Undo these and you can seperate the windsheild frame from the hood. If it's welded... Confused you've got some work to do...
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield hinge question Reply with quote

halfgut wrote:
How do I remove the windshield from the car? On the outside of each hinge that holds the windshield to the car are two screws. The inside of the hinge appears to be welded. Is there a proceedure? I need to straighten the hinges and then reattach them.

The spot that your looking at is where the hinge mounts to the upper windshield frame. It's very likely that those screws will strip if and when you try to remove them.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield hinge question Reply with quote

MedicTed wrote:

The spot that your looking at is where the hinge mounts to the upper windshield frame. It's very likely that those screws will strip if and when you try to remove them.

Embarassed Thought he was talking about the lower frame-

To lessen the chance of stripped screws, take an old screwdriver (make sure it has a nice crisp tip), put an acetylene torch on it, and bend a 90 degree angle an inch or two from the tip (just stick it in a vice with the tip down, heat the outside part of the angle you're trying to bend, and set you're weight to it until you have the angle you want). If you have access to a welder, weld on a little plate on top of the bend so that you can press down and get some weight on it. If it's a long screwdriver, you'll get a lot of leverage and will be less likely to strip the screw. We all know how a drill can just sit there and ride the screw head and strip the sucka out before you know it. I've found this tool to work very well. There are tools sold like this (without the plate), but I've never seen one that's nice and long so that you can get the ones that are really stuck. Impact tools can strip it before you know whats happening too. Eh, hope it helps. Good luck!
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the two outside screws are loose and come out very easily on both hinges. It's the inside part of the hinge that I'm concerned with. It looks like it's welded.

The reason I want to remove the hinges is that the outside upper edge of each hinge is pulling away and there is surface rust forming in the gaps. If there is an easy way to get the hinge to lay flat to the windshield without taking it off that would be preferable.

So, how do I get the inside part of the hinge off?
Halfgut
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hinge is spot welded to the lower windshield frame. if i understand you correctly, the rust is forming above the screws, where the hingeplate meets the upper windshield frame? the hing plate should fit flat against the upper windshield frame. if there is a gap here, it may be because someone has tried to pry the frame apart at some time in the past. to solve the problem, disassemble the frame and straighten the hinge plate, deal with the rust, reassemble, and then seal the hinge plate/windshield frame joint with some seam sealer, if you wish.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rust is forming above the hinge where it meets the windshield frame.

What's the best way to remove the spot weld?

Also, what was VW thinking in putting two screws on the outside and spot welding the inside. If they wanted to make it removeable why not put four screws per hinge. If they didn't want it removed why not spot weld the whole thing?
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgut wrote:
Also, what was VW thinking in putting two screws on the outside and spot welding the inside. If they wanted to make it removeable why not put four screws per hinge. If they didn't want it removed why not spot weld the whole thing?

The hinge is made as part of the bottom of the windshield frame. The reason that the frame is able to be seperated is to replace the windshield. Remember that the 181 was designed for the Bundeswehr (German Army), and therefore needed to be easy and quick to maintain and repair.
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grave digging here Wink

I'm switching out a windshield but on the replacement windshield I have a broken hinge. The hinge (I need the piece that attaches to the hood) on the original windshield is in good enough shape for a switch IF.... if I could get that damn'd hinge pin out. AND I'll need to remove the same pin on the replacement windshield to remove the broken bit. Bangin' on it with a hammer and beat up screwdriver doesn't seem to be the answer Evil or Very Mad

Any magic juju available out there to make this a clean easy Laughing removal and install.

Mahalo

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So taking that hinge pin out has never been approached by any forum members.... dang Wink

Guess I'll just get a bigger hammer Shocked

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt the thing shop sell a stainless steel hinge for the windshield?

Would be nice if there was a rivet or threaded tube/screw kit for the hinges.
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
Didnt the thing shop sell a stainless steel hinge for the windshield?

Would be nice if there was a rivet or threaded tube/screw kit for the hinges.

Try these people http://stores.ebay.com/VolksBolts Fast service and delivery. They may be able to answer your questions about SS fasteners.
Mark
Green Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Are you replacing lower frame, upper frame or windshield? I'm confused, there is 3 pieces to the windshield.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: