Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

template for 71 bay cargo door panel.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
david a.
Samba Artist/Designer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: template for 71 bay cargo door panel. Reply with quote

does anyone have a template available for a 71 bay window cargo door panel.

hopefully that can be emailed.

tape paper, trace, number sheets in order, untape, scan, email.

thank you, it would be much appreciated.

david a.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm redoing all my panels, I should have one soon, maybe a week or two. I don't knoe about E-mailing it but could fold it up and mail it.

Steve
orangekoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I still like your idea of compiling downloadable template files for different panels...at least I think it was you....any further thoughts on this? Format? Requirements? I may be working on the bus this weekend. I might be able to trace a panel or two...

Henry
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be easier to just pull a panel out of a wreck and trace it? Hell you might just find one in good enough shape to use outright, youre in LA.
orangekoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
Would it not be easier to just pull a panel out of a wreck and trace it? Hell you might just find one in good enough shape to use outright, youre in LA.

How would it be easier to find a wreck, pull the panel, and trace it vs. having someone email you the template? Laughing
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
tape paper, trace, number sheets in order, untape, scan, email.

In my case that would involve a trip to Best Buy and a grip of money for a scanner.
wardo_3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is eveyone using for there panels i remade the panel on the drivers side of my westy but made the panel for the sliding door but the wood i used was to thick the clips wouldnt work with it any thoughts?
Thanks
Cain Ward
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a plywood only place you can find 1/8 inch thick Baltic burch plywood. I got 5x5 ft. sheets for $9.95 ea. they match the stock interior panels almost exactly....
david a.
Samba Artist/Designer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unfortunetly do not have the time to search for a real panel, and most of the buses that i have seen are also missing this panel.

in regards to the emailable templates, i will be making them this weekend and will find a way to post them here. these would be printable on any printer on 8.5x11 paper, which then would be taped together to create the template. using some basic measurements for length and height you would end up with a pretty good template. i have used this type of process for other large template applications (large signs, large package design mock-ups, etc.).

I purchased 4-3x7 sheets of 1/8th inch luan panelling from home depot ($7.25 each), which will do all the main panels (10 piece set) except for the rear hatch (making an 11 piece set) and rear panels next to and behind the rear seat.

I should have purchased the 3-4x8 sheets, as this would have given me enough to do a complete 13 piece set.

this material is used often in fabricating interior panels. i have found several professional hot rod fabricators (online) that use this for paneling. concerning moister i was told that luan is about the best that wood can be for not taking in moister.

the wood is a light color (lighter than a basic cardboard), which for me will look great in my white bus until i am able to cover them.

i will chronical the process and post here when i am done. i am very excited.

david a.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be very interested in how this works out. I think there are going to be some definate challenges to deal with making sure the scans and print outs get recreated to size. How are you planning to initially tape together the pieces?

I may have to give this a try. I think I might tape each 8.5x11 sheet together with 1 inch overlap then do measurement markings across the entire sheet both across and down as well as marking where the overlaps come in. Your going to need to have some sort of check in there so you know that when you've printed off your sheets and taped them together your printer didn't print them 1% smaller than original or that you taped them with too much or to little overlay. Now if there were say 4 sheets taped together with 1/2 inch overlays thats about 36 inches wide. If you had drawn to scale markings showing inches 1-36 or so when they were all taped up you could guarantee they were right.

Anyway sounds awesome, I really want to see these.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
david a.
Samba Artist/Designer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the application i use will create tiles for this type of thing. the printer requires an area of the paper to be grabbed to pull it through. the application adjusts for this area. you trim the page on the right side to the marked edge which i will include, overlap it on the left side of the next page, so on and so forth.

we will see if it all works, i'll obviously test it before dispersing it.

david
newagedesire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: 10 year follow up. Reply with quote

Any one come up with a dxf for the interior panels yet? It'd be great to throw some material up on the cnc router. cut it and pop it into place. I don't feel like taking the time to lay it out if it's already been done. Anyone know someone who's digitized the panels?

1972 deluxe, looking for everything, kick plates, behind the seats, doors, even the cargo panels if they're available. If nobody has done it I may take the time to lay it out. Assuming there is enough interest. Otherwise I'll probably just buy a kit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newagedesire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there's a UK company on ebay selling basic cut out kits. At least one person has taken the time to digitize each panel. They're selling the kits though so I doubt I'll have any luck getting the files from them. Anyone else out there open to trades?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: