Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro Kubelwagen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
falldownjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the phone number for the guy in Rocky Ford, CO rewelding the 5-lug VW center into 5.25" and 200x16 outer rims.
MatPL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Own project Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I would like make own kubelwage. Firstly I should tell I am from Poland.

colud you tell me how engine did you used in your projects?
and where did you get a plans with physical characteristics?

I will be thankful if some one will add some links to page with some self-help book how to do this.
falldownjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Own project Reply with quote

MatPL wrote:
Hi everyone. I would like make own kubelwage. Firstly I should tell I am from Poland.

colud you tell me how engine did you used in your projects?
and where did you get a plans with physical characteristics?

I will be thankful if some one will add some links to page with some self-help book how to do this.

Mat,
Ken's almost step by step Topic you're reading now is the closest you will find. I'm also starting a home-build Kube, using a Dragon 1:6 scale Type 82 model kit to scale up.
There are two other home-build Kubelwagen topics in this section, the Tuscon Kubelwagen topic has some good construction tips.
If you want to go fiberglass instead of metal, this guy in Romania is building one in glass:
http://www.vw166.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=709

IF you are going to run it on the Autobahn, no way would I go with the original 25hp or even 30 hp engines. Minimum, go 1600cc, unless you want to build an original-look engine.
Good luck! I know I'm going to need it, too!
T
www.kampfgruppevonrybus.com
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1600cc in my car, and the real limiting factor with speed is the gear reduction boxes. I have the 1.4 ratio RGBs and I have a top speed of 50 mph. I haven't checked it with a tach, but beyond that it sounds like its just spinning too fast. I calculated that the 1.25 ratio RGBs would let me go about 55 with the same "comfort" level. Maybe some day... I've had 4 adult males in my car and really felt the load and felt better about having a 1600 in there.

Falldownjaeger - I received your e-mail about your question on the lever shocks. I can't remeber what application they were for, but they were '30's era American-made Delco brand. I found them on E-Bay and bought them because I knew I could adapt them to work. Begin a thread on your build! I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy following along. Best of luck!

Ken
typ82kubelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't some say they looked at using Snomobile dampers for the rear shocks?
Clark Kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think i would do my replica alittle... different.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trailer-Park-Limo/177483138941476
falldownjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark Kustoms wrote:

sacrilige!
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked No Comment...

Ken
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark Kustoms wrote:

It's not that I don't like customs, that's just not attractive. Perhaps, remove the top and spare wheel, then tub out the origonal fenders for slamming. Twisted Evil
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not very attractive at all. Kubel's are kind of wierd already, but that's down right bizzare. I'm thinking some things just can't pull-off the whole slammed thing. Besides, one of the best things about a kubel is it's ability to go just about anywhere (without scraping...).

Very Happy

Ken
SpitnSpatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (killed by the above photo-chop I believe!), but there was some discussion about 16" repro wheels that some folks had made from chevy 16" barrels and 15" smoothie centers and some ideas thrown around about using compact spare rims Think :

falldownjaeger wrote:
I've got the phone number for the guy in Rocky Ford, CO rewelding the 5-lug VW center into 5.25" and 200x16 outer rims.

jns wrote:
I think a separate discussion of 16" rim options might be interesting. I have original kubel rims on my car, but none of them are really round and it's pretty annoying. One of them even blew out a few months ago (the actual wheel, not the tire). Since no one makes repros as far as I know, it's a pain..

Blue Baron wrote:
Has anyone looked into rewelding the VW centers into 16-inch space-saver spares? That would seem to be the solution. They're narrow, have safety beads and can be found extremely cheap!

...has there been another thread started on this topic or a few leads I could get for some shops that have done this kind of work? Any experiences/actual costs/pictures? Original Split or Barndoor wheels are out of the budget and the vintage tires I want to use on my project are only available in 16"...

Any info appreciated!! Wink
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark Kustoms wrote:

front wheel are too big but beside that I think it is OK! Laughing
Claude

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpitnSpatz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...now why did ya hafta go and do that Claude... d'oh!
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: July 25, 2011 update Reply with quote

I've been driving this car around town for quite a while now, but this last weekend I drove it into the mountains and did a little "off-road" with it. From Portland, I drove out Highway 8 and merged onto Highway 6. I went to Browns Camp on the summit of the pass. I used to ride dirt bikes up there alot. There are literally 100's of miles of trails and logging roads.

The gearing is low. 50 mph runs around 3400 RPM, and I don't care to run the motor harder. I was able to maintain 50 mph all the way there (about 45 miles) with no problem - it ran real smooth and strong. I wondered what was going to happen when I had to climb the grade approaching the summit on the highway, and was delighted to find that I could maintain 50 mph effortlessly.

Turning off the highway into the OHV area, I pulled over and folded the windsheild down. Then, just went driving into the area and exploring some roads I used to know very well. I went to one place in particular that I knew was steep and rough and climbed up onto a vista that over looked a vast scenery of forest land. Awesome. I then drove back down from the vista and just drove around some of the roads for a while, then returned to the highway and took a nice long ride back home.

This is the first time I have ever drove this car in such a long round-trip, and the first time I took it "off road". It performed wonderfully on both counts. I was really impressed with the off road capabilty. The low gearing that seems like a pain in town pays-off big time in the woods. The thing is mountain goat! It crawls effortlessly up steep, rough, rocky terrain. Going down steep terrain, I just put it in 1st so I wouldn't have to ride the brakes and it just crawls down - smoothly and sure-footed.

I didn't hit any trails because I don't have an OHV tax sticker on the car and the area was busy with forest worker trucks on patrol. I am definately going to get a sticker soon and be going up there quite a few more times before the weather changes as I have found where this car really shines.

When I was up on the vista, it dawned on me that I had not taken a camera - so maybe after I've been back up there a couple of times I'll have a couple of interesting photos to post.

Between the long and scenic county-roads to get there, playing in the woods, and the long drive back home - it's a pretty fulfilling day of kubeling.

Take care,

Ken
mircea cotiga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you happy again...I have to wait for some this kind of fun . Crying or Very sad
Kraftfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken, good to hear you´re "using" the kubel and having fun with it !
Can´t wait to do some off road action with my kubel, too...
cheers,
CHRIS
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark Kustoms wrote:

If you look at this picture you'll see that someone at VW wanted to slam the early reduction box vehicles. (note the VW symbol) Very Happy
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went back up to the coastal mountains in the Tillamook National Forest. From the Portland area, we travelled down Highway 8, and then got onto Highway 6 and up into the forest. It was about 100 miles round-trip with an estimated 30 miles of scouting some of the 100's of miles of roads in the forest - so about 130 miles of kubeling on a nice sunny day.

This is pretty much what the average road looks like in there. We went up and down some pretty steep ones too.

Our grandaughter Olivia had a good time. She has always liked to ride in "The Kubel"

I have ridden dirt bikes up there for years, but never ventured near the horsecamp. It's a camping area for people with their horses. We kubel'ed in there to have a look. Pretty neat place.

We were only about 15 miles from the ocean. Perhaps on my next post, I'll have some shots of the car near the ocean.

Best regards,

Ken
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken.....

Nice work, and great pictures Smile I'm glad to see you are enjoying your build.

BNMike
engineerscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember following this thread a couple of years ago when it started. I still can't get over what an incredible job this guy did in fabing a repro Kubel from the ground up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: