Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro Kubelwagen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought your photo needed a little alteration to look more period correct.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike VL,

Greetings from Oregon.

It's nice to hear another kubelwagen is going to be born. I am always willing to help where I can, but please keep in mind that my car is a single one-off and any details are not necessarily "correct".
A 1958 chassis is a good choice because the front end is link pin. You will need reduction gears for the rear end. If you can find some old barn door ones, they will just bolt on.

The doors are plain 1mm sheet steel. I made a tool to press the ribs into the steel. It is explained early in my postings.

Best wishes to you. Take your time and have fun with it.

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by vintagemx0 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice touch dr scope..... Cool
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I read this thread was on Oct 04, 2008 when i posted my comment on the use of road bike's speedometer (last post, page 13 hereof), and reading this thread now practically gives me this ghost pimples ptactically enveloping my entire skin and so much fun and inspiration. I have been thinking of building by own kubelwagen replica and I'd like to folllow the way you did it and I know I may not be able to replicate the extreme details and quality you poured on your Kubelwagen.

Nevertheless, your kubelwagen turned out to be awesome that it gets a higher pedestal in the realm and arena of vw reproduction side of our hobby. Practially, it deserves praises! Well, what can I say.... I am stunned!

How did you get the dimentions and other intricate details of the kubelwagen? Is it available on line? Or you have an actual Kubelwagen to get the measurements of the panels and other unseen portions of the kubelwagen? I hope I can get them too for my future project.

Thanks for sharing your fabulous work! Job well done!

Thanks,
'
Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: 16 inch wheels Reply with quote

This has been a great thread to read thru. Was there any updates regarding where to source 16 inch wheels? I have a kooble kar & would like to swap out the 15 inch smoothies (w/ 7.00x15 mud grips) for the correct tires & wheels. I've not had too much luck so far.
thanks,
Mike S
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they have those 16" wheels at Concept-1 in Canada?
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: 16 inch wheels Reply with quote

Concept 1 has the parts advertised.....inner hubs & outer rims. For a set of 5 the cost for the parts is $1600 U.S. (w/o shipping). I had sent them an email, asking if they had assembled wheels, but have not gotten a reply. I'm not too crazy about buying parts & then having to find somebody that can weld them together straight & true.

At this rate, I'm like vintage in that between importing tires and the price of the wheels, I dont' know if I'll ever get the right tires on the kooble kar.

I'll be seeing Dave Crompton in a week or so & will pick his brains on options. I thought by now somebody would have come up with a better priced solution for this need for 16 inch wheels.
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dong,
I'm sorry for the late response. Thanks for the comments. You are correct, I had access to a real kubel for measurements. I no longer have those notes, but I can tell you that I did spend about a year studying photographs of kubel rebuild projects to learn more about the stuff you normally cannot see. Also, I requested a catalog from Ivo in Czech a republic and happily learned that every part he reproduces was displayed as a photograph in his catalogue which helped with understanding the shapes of certain parts.

Also, I purchased a scale plastic model and measured some of the parts and simply multiplied the measurements by the scale of model. This proved to be pretty accurate.

My advice is study as much kubel as possible and practice "building" in your head for a while. It will prove to help when you dive in.

Best wishes with your build. Have fun and share!

Regards,

Ken
Oregon
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagemx0 wrote:
Hi Dong,
I'm sorry for the late response. Thanks for the comments. You are correct, I had access to a real kubel for measurements. I no longer have those notes, but I can tell you that I did spend about a year studying photographs of kubel rebuild projects to learn more about the stuff you normally cannot see. Also, I requested a catalog from Ivo in Czech a republic and happily learned that every part he reproduces was displayed as a photograph in his catalogue which helped with understanding the shapes of certain parts.

Also, I purchased a scale plastic model and measured some of the parts and simply multiplied the measurements by the scale of model. This proved to be pretty accurate.

My advice is study as much kubel as possible and practice "building" in your head for a while. It will prove to help when you dive in.

Best wishes with your build. Have fun and share!

Regards,

Ken
Oregon

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply, buddy. I bought a kubelwagen replica and I am corrently completeing its details and your porject is giving me the inspiration to complete my kubelwagen. It is really wonderful knowing that I have vw buddies here at the samba at I can really count on! Two thumbs up to you buddy, ken!

Regards,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: August 14 update Reply with quote

vintagemx0 wrote:
Well, I went with raised spindles...

I really wanted to have a bunch more stuff done by now, but with the summer heat it's been hard to keep a good momentum. I did manage to rough-out the front fenders:

The windsheild and the folding top are the only real big chores left to do. There is a lot of little things, but that light at the end of tunnel is getting brighter...

Ken
I was wondering what procedure did you follow then you raised the spindles of the beam to get that ground clearance you needed. Thanks in advance buddy..
'67 Splitty Bus
sergiohdcastro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Kubel blueprints Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new in this forum. I live in Brazil and, like Mexico, we have plenty of Beetles (called "Fuscas" here) circulating in our roads. I would like to biult my Kubelwagen replica from a Beetle chassis, and I need a detailed blueprint from Kube to begin a 3D concept in computer. Can you people help me to find these information? Pictures from Google are not defined to se measures.
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: New bling for the Kubel Reply with quote

Since the kubel project, I took on another steel fabrication -based hobby. My latest creation is befitting of a kubel...

It's been a while since I've been on here. I still have the car and drive her around, although less frequently. She runs fine, but I somehow find myself with less time these days or else just don't even consider taking her to work in the morning. Maybe I'm just getting old...

I hope everyone is doing well. Best!...

-Ken
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken - what's the new project and and photos to share? Always impressive to see your work.

PS - My '43 Kubel is for sale. You can see it here on The Samba.
'65 Vespa VBB
'48 Aeronca Sedan 4 passenger airplane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

It's hanging from the side mirror.. Very Happy

Yes, I saw your car at Larry's store last weekend.

-Ken
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual - simply amazing. It never crossed my mind that you would have actually crafted the rifle. Your skills are truly impressive.
'65 Vespa VBB
'48 Aeronca Sedan 4 passenger airplane
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Kubelwagen Reply with quote

Q: were these engines able to be crank started? or is the bracket across the rear tow hooks for a trailer hitch exclusively?

thanks
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Kubelwagen Reply with quote

Kubel engines were indeed able to be started with a crank handle, or as we call them in the UK, starting handles. The bar between the hooks either side of the bodywork wasn't always present, as some hooks didn't have holes drilled through to accommodate the attachment bolts. That's another story though!

Those that did have them fitted, could, as you say, be used for attaching a towbar for pulling lighter weight trailers. In addition, a steel box unit could be used, which at its front was attached to the removable rear cross member by 4 bolts, and through which the bar went, all giving rise to rigidity and strength.

This 'unit', also had a reinforced hole through it, front to back, through which the starting handle went, and on which the handle pivoted. On the top, it had a tread plate pattern, which allowed a soldier to stand on it, which aided rear wheel traction under difficult conditions.
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Kubelwagen Reply with quote

thank you; very helpful.

i'm building a 1:35 scale model and this helps me with the detailing. and so many photos I have printed from the Forum!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Jump to:
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: