Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires? Stock suspension setup.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Tires? Stock suspension setup. Reply with quote

Hey yall.

I have a 71 Squareback. the stock rims/tires are a little skinny for my liking. (stock is 15inch x 4.5 inch with 135s?) I have my eyes set on some of these....

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=500-7750&Category_Code=1278

(STOCK STYLE CHROME WHEEL, 4 LUG, 15 INCH X 5 1/2 INCH WIDTH )

i havent lowered my Squareback at all. i dont think i am going to either. (i think). but i want a tire for those rims that is going to be wider. i know i can theoretically put something intense like 205s, but will it rub? i dont think i want to go THAT wide. Also (i think) i want the front and the back tires/rims to be the same size.

i dont know what would be good for the back AND the front you know?...

if the clearance is different for the front, i suppose i could go a little smaller in the front. but i dont want anything too drastic. no hot rod styling. i like it, but not what i am going for. i just wanna give it a little fuller / beefier look.

so. with stock suspension setup, will any particular size rub? what about a little bit lower profile tire?

thanks a lot. trying to get this sorted out before i buy something in haste... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click the gallery button and check out my Square. Those exact rims, and 165/15 (stock size) tires. I'm down 2 clicks in front, and get some rubbing.
135 are for bicycles. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay with the stock wheel - yes, the 4 and 1/2 incher, you can run a fairly wide tire -- I run a 195/60 on my stock wheels, and have no rubbing at all (and my front end is lowered two notches).....

The problem with those wheels at JBugs is they are a Type 1 wheel, which means the offset is wrong for a Type 3....

As far as I know, nobody makes a reproduction steel wheel with the proper offset for a T3 -- I have looked... The best I could come up with is the stock steelies off a donor car....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate those aftermarket chrome rims. Ugly!

If you live anywhere with weather, they will start rusting within a year or 2 - crappy chromework.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:

The problem with those wheels at JBugs is they are a Type 1 wheel, which means the offset is wrong for a Type 3....

As far as I know, nobody makes a reproduction steel wheel with the proper offset for a T3 -- I have looked... The best I could come up with is the stock steelies off a donor car....

is the offset more or less than a type3? if its less, are spacers are good idea?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, "backspace of 25" whats does that mean?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:

I think John J. did a nice write up here (yes I did try searching for it too Rolling Eyes ) that said those rims WILL work on a t-3.

crippler wrote:
but i want a tire for those rims that is going to be wider. i know i can theoretically put something intense like 205s, but will it rub? i dont think i want to go THAT wide.

If you want something with a larger footprint (tread), then you might want to look at going with a 195-65-15, as this is pretty close to the stock diameter, and gives you an extra 30mm of tread per tire. With these you shouldn't have any rubbing issues either. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
blankmange wrote:

I think John J. did a nice write up here (yes I did try searching for it too Rolling Eyes ) that said those rims WILL work on a t-3.

crippler wrote:
but i want a tire for those rims that is going to be wider. i know i can theoretically put something intense like 205s, but will it rub? i dont think i want to go THAT wide.

If you want something with a larger footprint (tread), then you might want to look at going with a 195-65-15, as this is pretty close to the stock diameter, and gives you an extra 30mm of tread per tire. With these you shouldn't have any rubbing issues either. I hope this helps.

Here it is again.... Very Happy

OK, I did a little digging around on the web and in my CIP catalog and came up with some interesting numbers.

First, lets talk tire sizes. I made one assumption that our stock tire aspect ratio is 80%. We have discussed this before with 80%, 83%, and 85% as possible answers. I don't ever remember coming to a confident answer as to which was right. So for the sake of comparison I picked 80%. I have also ignored that fact the all tires bulge out some and am only comparing the tread width. So here we go.....

Tire Diameter Width Comments
165/80R15 25.4" (645mm) 6.5" (165mm) Stock tire size
185/65R15 24.5" (622mm) 7.3" (185mm) Jordan Wilks tire size
195/50R15 22.7" (576mm) 7.7" (195mm) Common aftermarket tire
195/55R15 23.5" (596mm) 7.7" (195mm) My front tire size
205/55R16 24.9" (632mm) 8.1" (205mm) My rear tire size

As you can see Jordan's tires are a full inch bigger in diameter and nearly as wide as my front tires. Still seems like they would be ok until you look at the wheels. I looked through my CIP catalog, which fortunately lists backspacing for most of the wheels they sell. I have made an assumption that the difference between the bead width and maximum width of the wheel is 1 inch since this is important in converting from backspacing to the more useful offset. This is where it gets more interesting....

Wheel Diameter Bead Width Offset Backspacing Frontspacing

Stock Type 3 15" 4-1/2" 1.8" (46mm) 4.56" (116mm) 0.95" (24mm)
EMPI 5-spoke 15" 5- 1/2" 0.44" (11mm) 3.7" (94mm) 2.8" (71mm)
EMPI 8-spoke 15" 5-1/2" 0.75"(19mm) 4.0" (102mm) 2.5" (64mm)
Chrome VW 15" 4-1/2" 1.8" (46mm) 4.5" (114mm) 1.0" (25mm)
Chrome VW 15" 5-1/2" 1.0" (25mm) 4.3" (108mm) 2.2" (56mm)
AR Aero 15" 7" 1.6" (40mm) 5.6"(142mm) 2.4" (61mm)
AR Aero 16" 7" 1.7" (42mm) 5.6" (142mm) 2.4" (61mm)

So if you look at the frontspacing (a term I made up to describe the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the outside wheel lip (frontspacing + backspacing = beadwidth + 1")), the EMPI 5-spoke and 8-spoke both stick out more than the 7" wide rims that I have on Sophy! The 5-spoke sticks out nearly 2" more than the stock Type 3 wheel! Doesn't surprise me that you are getting fender rub with the nearly 1" wider tire moved outward nearly 2" and being lowered 2 notches.

Offset is important and most of the aftermarket VW wheels are not going to be right for a Type 3. That being said it looks like the Chrome 4-1/2" VW wheels are actually type 3 wheels! Of course that assumes that CIP did not make a typo in their catalog. I would be leary and call there tech support and have them measure one before ordering. Anyone have first hand experience with the aftermarket chrome 4-1/2" VW wheels? Are they really 46mm offset?
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps we can ask Everett to make that a sticky and you won't have to dig it up... ever... again....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Sticky this... It is valuable info since wheels/tires are always a question on this forum... Us Type 3 guys get the shaft with wheel choices.

For what it is worth, I bought those stock style wheels and they rubbed like hell at stock height with 195/15. They were a little better with 195/60/15 but looked like they stuck out too far. In the end I sold them and use either the stock steelies or OG rivieras.

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the FAQ
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone. lots of help. Smile
Vee Dugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaransonT3 wrote:

Here it is again.... Very Happy

OK, I did a little digging around on the web and in my CIP catalog and came up with some interesting numbers.

First, lets talk tire sizes. I made one assumption that our stock tire aspect ratio is 80%. We have discussed this before with 80%, 83%, and 85% as possible answers. I don't ever remember coming to a confident answer as to which was right. So for the sake of comparison I picked 80%. I have also ignored that fact the all tires bulge out some and am only comparing the tread width. So here we go.....

Tire Diameter Width Comments
165/80R15 25.4" (645mm) 6.5" (165mm) Stock tire size
185/65R15 24.5" (622mm) 7.3" (185mm) Jordan Wilks tire size
195/50R15 22.7" (576mm) 7.7" (195mm) Common aftermarket tire
195/55R15 23.5" (596mm) 7.7" (195mm) My front tire size
205/55R16 24.9" (632mm) 8.1" (205mm) My rear tire size

As you can see Jordan's tires are a full inch bigger in diameter and nearly as wide as my front tires. Still seems like they would be ok until you look at the wheels. I looked through my CIP catalog, which fortunately lists backspacing for most of the wheels they sell. I have made an assumption that the difference between the bead width and maximum width of the wheel is 1 inch since this is important in converting from backspacing to the more useful offset. This is where it gets more interesting....

Wheel Diameter Bead Width Offset Backspacing Frontspacing

Stock Type 3 15" 4-1/2" 1.8" (46mm) 4.56" (116mm) 0.95" (24mm)
EMPI 5-spoke 15" 5- 1/2" 0.44" (11mm) 3.7" (94mm) 2.8" (71mm)
EMPI 8-spoke 15" 5-1/2" 0.75"(19mm) 4.0" (102mm) 2.5" (64mm)
Chrome VW 15" 4-1/2" 1.8" (46mm) 4.5" (114mm) 1.0" (25mm)
Chrome VW 15" 5-1/2" 1.0" (25mm) 4.3" (108mm) 2.2" (56mm)
AR Aero 15" 7" 1.6" (40mm) 5.6"(142mm) 2.4" (61mm)
AR Aero 16" 7" 1.7" (42mm) 5.6" (142mm) 2.4" (61mm)

So if you look at the frontspacing (a term I made up to describe the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the outside wheel lip (frontspacing + backspacing = beadwidth + 1")), the EMPI 5-spoke and 8-spoke both stick out more than the 7" wide rims that I have on Sophy! The 5-spoke sticks out nearly 2" more than the stock Type 3 wheel! Doesn't surprise me that you are getting fender rub with the nearly 1" wider tire moved outward nearly 2" and being lowered 2 notches.

Offset is important and most of the aftermarket VW wheels are not going to be right for a Type 3. That being said it looks like the Chrome 4-1/2" VW wheels are actually type 3 wheels! Of course that assumes that CIP did not make a typo in their catalog. I would be leary and call there tech support and have them measure one before ordering. Anyone have first hand experience with the aftermarket chrome 4-1/2" VW wheels? Are they really 46mm offset?

Wow....thanks for getting that together.
Anyone have experience with Formula Vee rims (see my avatar) and different tires? I have 165's on mine but 1" of clearance at the most in the back (stock height) and am hoping to lower the front one tick.

Click to view image
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee Dugg wrote:

Wow....thanks for getting that together.
Anyone have experience with Formula Vee rims (see my avatar) and different tires? I have 165's on mine but 1" of clearance at the most in the back (stock height) and am hoping to lower the front one tick.

I had always heard that turtlebacks (the wheel in your av) had a decent offset for T3's... I know Annie was running them...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
BerT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had always heard that turtlebacks (the wheel in your av) had a decent offset for T3's

True, and they are even better for T34's !

BerT3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but the 165's are less than an inch from rubbing in the read.
Would the lower profilecompensate for the wider tire?

Click to view image
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee Dugg wrote:
OK, but the 165's are less than an inch from rubbing in the read.
Would the lower profilecompensate for the wider tire?

yes... I run 195/65's and have absolutely no rubbing with my front lowered 2 notches...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
kenikh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Interesting comparison of Porsche wheels Reply with quote

I saw this chart of Porsche wheels and it made me wonder what VW wheels would look like using a similar image:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For reference of terms:
[/img]

"Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent."
-Ferry Porsche
Josie_Aus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I run 195/65's on my car, on my Type 1 offset 5.5 inch rims..
I did get some rubbing when going over bumps on the back, but the guard lips have been rolled now, so that's not a problem anymore..

Locknar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stock suspension and use 195's in the front and 205's in the rear. No problems as all and I have driven over everything.

My Fav vw shop: www.airkooledkustoms.com

1973-T3-SQB
1971-1302
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: