Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things people have said about your car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them: "Who makes that?" (I'm in my dunebuggy)
Me: "It was a Volkswagen Beetle when it was new, then heavily modified by me with a different body put on it"
Them: "Really? It doesnt look like a bug. Didnt they have the engine on the inside?"
Me: "That would be some of the heavily modified part".....

We have entered the Jiffy Lube Age (AKA 250K Toyota age) where most younger folks have never looked under a hood, so I guess they are mystified by a car that has an engine on the "outside".

Unless dealing with a real toolbag (See "You are wrong, that isnt a VW motor, I had a buddy....."), I'm always nice, even when the questions asked can be kinda dumb from my perspective. People learn by asking questions, so I am always thinking that maybe one of the folks with questions about one of my cars will be interested enough to become an enthusiast some day.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was going to the drive thru to get a 1 dollar large soda from mcdonald's and the guy at the first window said this (the guy is a very serious person):

*After I give him the money and he gives me change and the receipt*

Guy: He man, I like ur ferrari
Me: Thanks man! Wait.... a Ferrari?! It is actually a VW
Guy: REALLY Shocked Shocked Question Exclamation
Me: Yea, it is a Karmann Ghia from 1971. It was built with a beetle's frame.
Guy: Really? That's cool (he almost seemed disappointed)
Me: Thanks Confused

A Ferrari? I never knew people would think it is a Ferrari! I guess I look like a rich teenager driving his dad's classic Ferrari to other people Laughing Wink
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I stopped to get gas, pulled up to the end pump and a guy in fairly large truck pulls up and blocked my door (~2' away). Rolled his window down and we chatted for a min, he was talking about how he used to see so many bugs around but now there's almost none. Told him I was using her as a daily, and he said keep her runnin' and on the road.
Nice guy, just funny he pulled up so close.

And this morning the guy in front of me stopped and hopped out at a four-way stop (no traffic, we were the only ones). Asked if I was interested in selling and tried to give me his business card. Told him he really didn't want this particular bug, that I've been working on for the past two years. Serio, this thing is rather far from being a show car (pic), paint has issues along with a myriad of other (mostly minor) issues. He asked me what year, and if I was sure I wasn't interested in selling. Told him nah, but thanks for the interest.
Good stuff, made my morning.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can put a Porsche motor in there and really make it fly."

Really? Because 912 motors are so much cheaper and so much more readily available than a VW motor. I'll go ahead and hop right on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey, isn't that one of those buses with all the windows?"

Actually, no, it's not. It's a 69 Bay window. And it has 8 windows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A kid on the street: Look Ma! It's the mutant ninja turtle's car.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanrumsey wrote:
Everyday:

"How much did you pay? (I answer) "WHY?!"

My usual answer to this is $100,000.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a stoplight on a busy street, in the lane on my right was a brand new beautiful shiny black Mercedes. Noiselessly the Mercedes' power window glides down and the driver motions for me that he wants to talk. I reach over and crank down my window and Mr. Mercedes asks me what year? I tell him it's a 66. He says it's a nice car and then retreats into silence. After a few seconds he tells me. "you know what sucks?" I say "no." He says, "I paid $60,000 for this car, and everybody at this light is only looking at yours, that sucks." The light changes and he roars off.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other day i was just cruising along in the 67 bug down one of the main roads here in milpitas minding my own business, rolling with traffic, not doing anything to "show off". next thing i know an upper middle aged gentleman is pacing me and yelling out his window of his boring beige late model camry - "hey is that vw like the one on street outlaws?" I looked over at him and said "sorta" and gave him a shrug. he starts screaming out his window "hell i'll run you right now" over and over. I burped the throttle a little and got the 45 dells working just right. next thing i know, he's a half a block behind me with his head hanging out his window staring with a dumbfounded look on his face. Cool . at the next light, he says to me "man i had no idea you could actually do something like that in a bug in real life. on tv i can believe it" i just nodded and smiled and rolled on.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice -- I always love a good Hoonigan (I'm still trying to figure out what that word really means) story LOL
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graysky wrote:
I'm at a stoplight on a busy street, in the lane on my right was a brand new beautiful shiny black Mercedes. Noiselessly the Mercedes' power window glides down and the driver motions for me that he wants to talk. I reach over and crank down my window and Mr. Mercedes asks me what year? I tell him it's a 66. He says it's a nice car and then retreats into silence. After a few seconds he tells me. "you know what sucks?" I say "no." He says, "I paid $60,000 for this car, and everybody at this light is only looking at yours, that sucks." The light changes and he roars off.

Last year I was in Quebec City during the summer Festival. Lots of tourists and lots of very expensive, very shiny "penile enlargement" cars on the streets. Wink I was kinda fuzzy inside to see the people on street corners elbowing each other to take pictures of my car instead of all the Mercedes Amg's, high-end Porsches and Feraris...

I think those bugs and buggies look more like toys, they get to the inner-child in most of us. Because they are within pretty much anyone's reach, they're non-threatening, comforting in a way. People can appreciate the time and love that's been put into restoring/customising them.

That said, my little buggy, that cost me less than a standard Harley, has the highest STUPM (smiles-and-thumbs-up-per-minutes) index around! That's a good investment in my book Very Happy
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from the Urban Dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoonigan

hoonigan

noun,see hoon or hooning: a person who participates in any type of reckless driving including but not limited to drifting, drag racing, and burnouts

did you see that car blow by?, stupid hoonigan
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I was one before they had a name for it LMAO

Me late in my Hooigan career in 1979

phononocd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting off work at about midnight, and was at my car in the parking garage. A popular bar was right across the street, and a woman who was quite drunk asked it she could take pictures with my car (66 bug) I was tired so I said sure, she then proceeds to hop up on the bumper, toss her purse on the roof rack, and sticks out her hind end with her face to the back window while her man friend enthusiastically took plenty of pictures. Mine is not a pristine show car, so I was wearily fine with it. Just wasn't expecting the show!
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:

Details, please! Very Happy

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the looks of 'longtime no see'. Followed by " what year is it? "I had a ___!"
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:

Just your typical '79 Kawi street bike with a 1260 engine with a Magnasen 80 ci Super Charger, Joe Hunt Mag and a Hilborn mechanical FI system on Alcohol -- These pictures were at the "beginning" with a 8" tire -- It morfed to a complete CroMo frame with a 12" rear tire and eventually went turbo -- ended up breaking into the 200's with a 30% Nitro load at Orange County in the early/mid 80's
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Merlin wrote:

Just your typical '79 Kawi street bike with a 1260 engine with a Magnasen 80 ci Super Charger, Joe Hunt Mag and a Hilborn mechanical FI system on Alcohol -- These pictures were at the "beginning" with a 8" tire -- It morfed to a complete CroMo frame with a 12" rear tire and eventually went turbo -- ended up breaking into the 200's with a 30% Nitro load at Orange County in the early/mid 80's

Holy Moly! Surprised Very Happy

I'd love to see photos of its transformation, if you don't mind sharing? To avoid derailing the thread any further, how about via PM?

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a honk and wave from an old New Beetle this morning Very Happy
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
Finally got a honk and wave from an old New Beetle this morning Very Happy

I wish they made a newer karmann ghia! Same chassis as the new beetle but with turbo as standard Smile . I would have someone to honk and wave at me! I also drive a bmw 2002, but newer bmws dont do anything Laughing
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 55

Jump to: