Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things people have said about your car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicsteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in rural Arizona. Frankly, we don't see too many air-cooled dubs around here. My late 70's (weathered) bug gets a lot of comments about the ride height: slightly lowered. It seems most people in my area are really only familiar with sand rails, bajas, and an occasional stock setup. I get a lot of thumbs-up and rubber neck'n.
I've always been a resto-mod man myself. The look of a slamm'd bug/bus is what initially snag'd me to begin with. Love it!
MSRascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While taking the buggy around the block for a quick suspension test, I stopped on a corner by a kid (about 10 or so) and his dad. I heard the kid ask his dad:

"Is that that all of it? It looks like half a car!"
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do lower it??

its on leaf springs right?

have you painted it yet?

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1jarhead2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two older guys standing there staring at my car at the SEMA/HRIA trade show. One says to the other " I dont know why this car is here,all they did was chop the roof off and remove the fenders" The other guy says" no ,this is a rare one as they came from the factory this way"

Mine is sectioned 6",Shortened 12" width has been narrowed 4",suicide doors,and channeled 4" and of course the roof has been removed,Yep its all stock.lol. bottom picture is how it started so there wasnt any destruction of a perfect VW in this build.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE your car Jarhead

Would take the 1960 Fiat 600 I had to all the V8 car shows and would always get the "What a cute Little Car" comments .. .. I would always leave a 8x10 color glossy of this photo on the front seat -- the observant would see it and then really start looking at the car

Last edited by Fiatdude on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrHAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: What people have said about my car. Reply with quote

Man what a piece of shit!
It doesn't sound right.
Why would you drive that?
Its a MANUAL!?
Yeah right a bug can't pull wheelies OH DEAR GOD!!!
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, driving through the base gate, the female gateguard has a big smile on her face and says "do you know how many cool points you just got" my reply It's just an old rusty bus" which she replies "You got all the cool points for the day" lol

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the thread... We have a convertible Ghia, and the first comment I got was right after purchasing the car. Had it on a trailer, no top on the car yet, and ducked out of some rain by taking extra long to fill up the truck with gas under an awning. Guy pulled into the next pump over, and said "nice car - Porsche?".

Had to smile, "no, old VW"... What it looked like after it got a new top:
oldsouls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She said. I dont like Vws. Me.. Why?? because of the whole hitler thing.. me.. I just got the new ouija board app for my smart phone, I talked to hitler yesterday, he dont like you either.. conversation stoped there lol.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsouls wrote:
She said. I dont like Vws. Me.. Why?? because of the whole hitler thing.. me.. I just got the new ouija board app for my smart phone, I talked to hitler yesterday, he dont like you either.. conversation stoped there lol.

Well does she think we should get rid of our interstate highway system? After all it was inspired by the German Autobahn, one of Hitler's pet projects.

I had a woman give me the whole Hitler thing once and she was driving a MERCEDES! I just said "Well, he rode around in a Mercedes, go back and look at the pictures."

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldsouls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true!! I just had to laugh after that. It made me feel proud to own a Vw! At least I try to learn some history behind how it all went down. And to my suprise how many people "other" than hitler, and how many years before him, the peoples car began! Sheeple comes to mind...
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice one happen to me. I pulled into a store parking lot and the woman getting out of her SUV in front of me went around to unbuckle her kids so they could get out. She said "My kids just love your car. They think it's cool."

Nice to know a 49 yr old bug still has it since her kids were like 4 and 5!

Made me smile.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out for a drive in my Volksrod burning some fossil fuels for fun...
Impromptu stop on an old bridge to snap an update photo for my build topic,
while I was taking the picture on the bridge,
an older man pulls up , and stops on the bridge next to me...
rolls the window down, and with a scotish accent...
" very nice....what year is she?" ....
I turned and replied... "Many years .... it really depends on what part you're looking at."
He seemed to really enjoy my response...
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some welding done to get my seats anchored in by a guy that has been into VW's forever -- he was a manager at Autohaus and then had his own VW business, and always into High Performance stuff -- anyway took him for a ride with the tune still jacked up and not being able to get onto boost, after a few blasts to about 4K at half throttle so it wouldn't cough and sputter onto boost -- He's comment -- 'This thing is going to be a real monster when you get it tuned!' Coming from Mark, that meant a lot to me

jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was helping my buddy out as he couldn't get his 68 bug started (bad ignition switch I think). Tow truck driver was there and says, "I think the neutral safety switch has gone out. It has to be in neutral or it won't start."

Me: "I dont think these cars have that switch." I crawled under the car and started it with his screwdriver."
uncapj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At cruise night kids usually show off do burn outs and people glance when they see me start up and get ready to leave I always hear do a burn out and since they ask ill give them a little smoke and boy will a crowd come over to see my beetle smoke tires makes all the ricer trash hate. Love it Very Happy doesz make my car popular though I hope its a good thing

I had a friend named nick . Back in trade school that had a 96 camaro v6 and he thought it be cool to do a burn out in front of me well after the light he chose there is a sharp chycane I passed him in corners and at the next light smoked him out my friend danny (my passanger) laughed his ass off because he didn't think a bug can out handle a camaro nick didn't think it was funny though.

Had a guy ask me if I owned that bug out in the parking lot I said no I owned the honda next to it he said I'm a effing liar with a smile I guess I got cought

I get a lot of complements for this old school sticker on my back window that says "keep on trucking" they allways say man that's an old sticker so I started saying no its not I got it when I bought the car in 2010 got my neighbor with it the other day lol

they say money doesn't buy happiness but it buys car parts and those make me happy

Cars are like the perfect girl always ready and never say no

Current 74 Std Beetle (class 11ish)
Past 67 Baja
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a traffic light another motorist pulls up to me and my Beetle and says that he just finished restoring a Super Beetle. We talk a bit and then he asks me if I have a semi automatic. I tell him, no, I have a 4 speed. And he says, "Yeah, that's right, the Supers would go into automatic only after you reached 35mph."

Thankfully, the light changed to green at that point...

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I picked up my '83 Mexican Beetle- I've had all kinds of guesses to what year it is already. This is gonna be fun.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youngster1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this guy tell me about his 1959 Super Beetle the other day. It was wider and longer than a regular Beetle and came with Porsche motor from the factory. Man that must be one rare car! Laughing
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I sent in this photo of our single cab Ruf to my RC airplane site and Steve said "Love your transporter, I hope you know they can be in reasonable condition and worth as much as 50k at times".

just for laughs
the sales pamphlet I have from 1960 said the model 261 without the tarpaulin was $2135 at Volkswagen Pacific in Vancouver BC
cheers
hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 55

Jump to: