Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things people have said about your car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was told my car has "perfect stance" from a guy probably in his mid 60s. That made my day.

I wasn't going for stance (I lowered it this past weekend), I just wanted it to be lower than stock.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple hours after I picked my car up in Salem from Mike at HOG, I was in a grocery store parking lot in Myrtle Creek, Oregon waiting on a friend to come out and check out the car. An older (late 60's) woman parks near by in her mid 1980's Buick and shuffles by saying "now THAT is a nice car, why even I could pick up boys in that thing". Shocked

I had a pretty good laugh - then she offered to trade me her car for it! Laughing
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were at Redskins Rides 2013, a car show "competition" for football players vs. the fans...

An elderly woman comes up and reminisced how she once had a Corvair just like this one... Confused We were polite and didn't try to correct her.

The most rewarding compliments were from two different, unrelated Bugatti owners indicating how they really liked our Ghia. Cool

Thanks to someone at Redskins Rides for posting the nice pic on Facebook!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While driving through Newark (not the pic below), waiting at a light. Puerto Rican man on the sidewalk looks at my car, my "Borinquen" window sticker and Puerto Rico bumper badge, and says "¡Tenía que ser boricua!".

Which is to say, "It had to be a Puerto Rican!"

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Bobthepilotguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960 beetle
2332 Turbo, no decklid...

Literally have heard this from at least 20 different people in the past 8 years...

Stranger at gas station in the mountains of TN: "What motor ya got in that? A Porsche motor?"

Me: "No it's a vw engine."

Stranger at gas station in the mountains of TN: "I knew a guy back in 19xx and he had a porsche motor! It would ride a wheelie from here to that phone pole!" (pointing at a pole about 100yds away)

Don't know why I've heard this comment so much but didn't the porsche engine that could actually be modified to fit in a type 1 transaxle only make like 90 hp? Maybe revving it to the moon and side stepping the clutch would have got the wheels up a few inches but I mean come on.....

Some more:

"Doesn't it hurt that stuff to get wet with no lid on it?"

Random (sometimes pretty) girl: "Oh my gosh, is that your car?!?
Me: "Yes"
Random (sometimes pretty) girl: "Do you want a girlfriend?"
Me: "I'm married"

"My friend had one of those with a holley on it."
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobthepilotguy wrote:

Sometimes pretty? Was she only pretty from one side? For instance... Inside?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time.....EVERY time I have a swing axle vehicle on a hoist and the rear wheels are dangling with the resulting extreme positive Camber... some one walks up and asks.. what happened or WOW what broke... Rolling Eyes
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobthepilotguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Bobthepilotguy wrote:

Sometimes pretty? Was she only pretty from one side? For instance... Inside?

Hahaha! Some are some aren't.
I will say that there some girls that really like a beetle though, I'm pretty ugly so for a couple of them to ask me that was a shock....
RTope13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son took my '71 to auto shop for "show and tell" and he said most of the class was trying to figure out why the engine was in the back and the rest were wondering where the radiator was.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Every time.....EVERY time I have a swing axle vehicle on a hoist and the rear wheels are dangling with the resulting extreme positive Camber... some one walks up and asks.. what happened or WOW what broke... Rolling Eyes

^THIS!!!

I'm getting really good at explaining how a swingaxle works to people who aren't really technically savvy.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug-ugly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recent favorite:

I stopped at a gas station on a four hour trip to do some work out of town and I forgot my receipt (for reimbursement purposes) and when I came out I, candidly, heard these two kids arguing. "That's not a real slug bug!" "AHH HA" "NAH AHH". It cracked me up.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

^THIS!!!

I'm getting really good at explaining how a swingaxle works to people who aren't really technically savvy.

I dont even bother any more... for the non savvy
I usually just reply....

"The fender springs are a little weak".

Ill either get

"Can you still get them"
or
"Ain't they da same as Porches" (Porsche's) d'oh!
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAS PRICES must be getting to everyone ... This year's 1st question ... What kind of gas mileage you get? ... Answer, I don't keep track.

I own a Type 3 ... But, the non-car enthusiast see's it's a Volkswagen and makes the assumption that it's not a Beetle, it's not a Bus, so, it must be a Karmann Ghia, yea, that's a Karmann Ghia. NOT

My all time favorite comment was a couple checking out my car and I happened to approach them and their question was ... Is this one of those new car's made to look like an old one? ... DUH

But the one thing about Volkswagen's, they always put a smile on peoples faces and everyone has a past story about one.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I usually just reply....

"The fender springs are a little weak".

I'm using that one next time!
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was stopped at a red light and a school bus pulled up beside me. Out of the corner of my eye I seen the door open. the driver yelled over Nice car, thanks for keeping it on the road it really takes me back.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 1990's my wife was going to school in Rockville, MD, just outside of the DC Beltway. I drove my beat up stock '72 Beetle in to pick her up & a girl she went to school with needed a ride to pick up her car that was in the shop. We were headed the same direction so we offered her a ride. We headed up onto I 270 and I merged into the traffic that always seemed to be going at least 70 mph.

Girl in the back; Is this just a regular Volkswagen?
Me; What do you mean?
GIB; Well, my parents used to have one and they were always talking about how slow it was. This one isn't so slow. And it seems to be keeping up fine with traffic.
Me; Well, yeah, it's stock, except it has a Hurst shifter and one of the tailpipes has fallen off.

We get to the shop and she says something like "Good, my car's parked outside. They must be done with it." Then she points it out.

It's a fairly new Z28 Camaro Shocked

And she said MY car isn't so slow? Confused (How bad did that Camaro run? Rolling Eyes )
Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happen about a year or more ago but this story always makes me laugh.
There's this elderly gentle man that walks around my street almost everyday at the same time same pace you know this type of guy. Anyways I see him always looking at me while working on my cars but he never stops and a few times I've tried to say hi in temps to have him come over because I know he is interested in what I'm doing but he never says anything and a few times I've seen him stop and look but never talks to me. So after washing my my bus I decided to wax my bus. So the old man walks up the street then back which he never does then I clean my wheels and he walks back and fourth again. By this time I can tell he wants to say something but doesn't know how to approach me. By the time I break out the buffer I guess he couldn't take it any more. He come over and say's "Son I don't think your gonna be able to wax that rust off". He also says looks like you need a new paint job. So I Introduce my self and explain what I'm doing and how far I've come with my bus and explain the Patina thing and that its worth more in original paint and so on so on. He listen to my whole spill about everything( about 15 mins) never saying a word the whole time when I finished He turns to me and says to me,"Son I Don't Care What Fancy Words You Use It's Still Crap! And Walks Away. Confused
I just started laughing. Well since I now have about a daily conversation with him and turns out he is a nice guy. He likes my vert but still doesn't get the patina thing on bus.
This is a picture of my bus of that day. just before I waxed it.

Sorry for crappy pic. The old man wouldn't let me take a picture of him.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old guy at a light rolls down the window and says he had a '58 or something like that, then asks "How's your gas mileage? 50 or 60 mpg, right?"

I say, no, more like 33.

He says, "I used to get a lot more than that..."

I'm thinking about how nostalgia can color a memory. Then he says, "But you know, it didn't matter much then. Gas was 25 cents a gallon."

And we both laughed.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents told me that a guy whose family came by on Halloween was extremely excited about my Super, which was awesome to hear. Very Happy
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
youngMattinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got one my dad has a 79 riveria? its a camper alright that is bright orange with a obtrusive radiator and cooling fans hanging out where engine lid used to be (formerly had a datsun A-15, but not enough power so it now has a ford 2.3). it also features twist-together wires for a fan switch and when ever we park it in down town portland, everytime we come back there is always a crowd standing at the back gawking at it, and asking confused questions (understandable). my favorite was onetime outside a hardware store, a old man stares at it as he is walking by and then says "it doesnt matter how many fans you stick on it, the things still gonna overheat". this van also on the roof sports 2 5 gallon buckets(for sink and outdoor shower) and a propane tank for the stove and heater, which has led to rich looking kids in BMW's shouting "does it run on propane?" at us while going down the interstate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 55

Jump to: