Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bumpers different through the years?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: bumpers different through the years? Reply with quote

ive taken the bumpers off the sqaure, and put them onto my fastback but they dont exactly fit,
the rear bumper is right on the rear wings and scrapping paint off, not a problem really being resprayed soon anyways, and the front doesnt like clearing the front impact thing

so are type 3 bumpers different through the years?
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: bumpers different through the years? Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
ive taken the bumpers off the sqaure, and put them onto my fastback but they dont exactly fit,
the rear bumper is right on the rear wings and scrapping paint off, not a problem really being resprayed soon anyways, and the front doesnt like clearing the front impact thing

so are type 3 bumpers different through the years?

they changed when the body style changed, in 1970....

you can also find this info here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78049

right at the top of the forum...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wierd, europa bumpers fit perfect onmy car but early bumpers dont, and its not a late model, hacked into an early model, as it was built feb69
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
wierd, europa bumpers fit perfect onmy car but early bumpers dont, and its not a late model, hacked into an early model, as it was built feb69

what are europa bumpers? are these some kind of weird aftermarket things?

if you are taking early-style bumpers off of one car and putting them on the other are you swapping the brackets also? if not, your brackets could be tweaked a bit on one car and straight on the other.
kenikh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made brackets out of aluminum to put early bumpers on my '71. I had no probs with paint scraping.

"Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent."
-Ferry Porsche
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoss wrote:

These ones:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh. late style. good luck with all that then.
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant work it out,
thow its an early shaped car, that europa bumpers fit
but early bumpers dont and they sat perfect on the sqaure, havnt been impacted
.....stupid question but just thought why has my early car got a impact bumper behind the bumper? thought earlys didnt have one, my sqaure doesnt and thats a 66 Question Question Question Question
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they started the impact bumpers in at least 69. My 69 parts car has them.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flint38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is the car in that pic? anyone know what years the "Type 3" script was on the side?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personaly id say that type 3 was a special model of some sortor maybe just and advitising thing, looks very cool, sure u could get the stickers made up, easy enough, just make sure the company spells it right, know someone who went to get the porsche stickers to go down the bottom of his doors on his 911, took car to the place, they cut and fitted the stickers and the realised they had spelt porsche wrong and stuck poreche on instead Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flint38 wrote:
what year is the car in that pic? anyone know what years the "Type 3" script was on the side?

That's the sales brochure for 1970. You can look in the Samba Archives and find most of the accessory and sales brochures to see what years the stripe was available. I'm thinking of just painting it on when I paint my car. Will actually be a lot cheaper and more durable than getting a custom stripe printed up. I have seen a set for sale here once before though.

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flint38 wrote:

The Fastback is at least a 71, because of the fresh air oulets on the rear pillars. The "type3" script was a sticker that was used in 72, when VW was marketing some of their cars as Sport models, and other celebrations like the champaign addition 72 bug (denoteing passing the model T in sales. Very Happy

As far as bumpers go, I think pit needs to find some from a 69 and ealier car if he wants them to fit. Shocked I only say that because the "europa" bumpers used different cut ins on the body to clear them, and they are bigger reliefs than the 69 and earlier used. Rolling Eyes I guess sometimes it pays to have several different year type3s around, so you notice things like that. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ricky-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
hoss wrote:

These ones:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In Europe we says that's "American style" Laughing
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnotch
ive put 66 bumpers onto my car and they dont fit,
the europa bumpers that came with the car fit perfectly Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
the europas sit around the wings nicely where as teh early 66 bumpers are jammed right in against the wings

lol in the uk there usually called horrible europa bumpers

Last edited by pitslayer on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky-73 wrote:
In Europe we says that's "American style" Laughing

What do they call it in France, a "Royale with cheese"?
Samba Member #4862
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no mr bubble head in france there called Le bumpers
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SquareTone wrote:
That's the sales brochure for 1970...
Bobnotch wrote:
The Fastback is at least a 71, because of the fresh air oulets on the rear pillars. The "type3" script was a sticker that was used in 72, when VW was marketing some of their cars as Sport models, and other celebrations like the champaign addition 72 bug (denoteing passing the model T in sales. Very Happy

Oops. Like Bob says that's the '71 brochure. The '70 brochure isn't nearly as pretty.
The stripe also shows up in one of the '70 brochures though.
I've also noticed several documents showing that pretty young women were available with the Fastback Wink I wonder who's got the NOS stash of those!

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SquareTone wrote:
SquareTone wrote:
That's the sales brochure for 1970...
Bobnotch wrote:

Oops. Like Bob says that's the '71 brochure. The '70 brochure isn't nearly as pretty.
The stripe also shows up in one of the '70 brochures though.
I've also noticed several documents showing that pretty young women were available with the Fastback Wink I wonder who's got the NOS stash of those!
Well, even if they are NOS, they are still 35 years older than when the pictures were taken. Don't know that I'd be too interested in one of them now.

FU#3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: