Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance lab - mrgil - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: mrgil
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: December 18, 2009
stussyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a long list of customers worldwide waiting for vic to deliver products to them. I have a list of several contacts in the England,Scotland,Ireland,australia and the USA. Everone has had enough of the broken promises and lies. I personaly don't believe people like this should be allowed to be part of the volkswagen community.
SkySoldier173
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Vic and CalPerformanceLab (aka TheLab, PerformanceLab) Reply with quote

I originally found Vic on his website, calperformancelab.com, in July of 2005. That later was shut off and he set up performancelab.com. After emailing back and forth about a full restoration job with several VW experts (Chico, Bernie, Stictly, etc.), I decided to go with Vic. So before going on my 2 week leave from my deployment to Afghanistan, my girlfriend dropped off my 1970 Ghia at his shop. I went on my leave in November and did the transaction with him and RestoJohnny, $10K between the two of them. RestoJohnny was to do the paint and body while Vic was to do the electrical and mechanical.

Project:
1. Project Duration: November 2005 – May 2006 (6 Months)
2. Bodywork and Paint (RestoJohnny)$3.5K
a. Cut and modify dash
b. Align doors
3. Engine and Mechanicals (Vic) - $12.5K
a. 2010cc EFI engine + electronic ignition + sidewinder exhaust
b. Adjustable, lowered Front Suspension w/disc brakes
c. Hydralic Pedal Assembly Conversion
d. Weatherstripping and other seals
e. GM custom Wiring Kit Conversion
f.Re-chrome bumpers etc.
Outcome:
1. Actual Project Duration: Nov 2005 - May 2007 (1yr 6 months)
2. Bodywork and Paint
a.Orange peel and drip marks
b. Misaligned doors
3. Engine
a. Vic could not configure the EFI to work properly – changed to 044 Duals instead
b. Suspension – Ok
c. Hydralic Pedal Assembly Conversion – Vic did not deliver
d. Weather stripping and Other Seals – Door seals were not properly installed…leaked in some places when it rained
e. GM Custom Wiring Kit Conversion – The wiring was like SPAGHETTI and he had to redo it several times to resolve some electrical/grounding issues. All the while, he blamed his “helpers” for the messy job. He/They never cleaned it up.
f. Re-chrome - Ok

Just to have Vic start on the car had to involve my brother and father to visit Vic to check on the car since I had to go back to my deployment to Afghanistan. After several promises from Vic that it would be done by May of 2006, the same month I’d be getting out of the military, I left him alone.

I left the military and came home expecting the car would be done. The car was about 80% taken apart but nothing else had been done on the car. I had to fight with Vic to get my car back. He would blame RestoJohnny for lagging on completing the paint job. Even though RestoJohnny had not completed the paint job and bodywork, he didn’t even move an inch to start on the engine. Oh, they initially said that he and RestoJohnny were partners. At that point, both were denying having any kind of partnership. I guess this allowed Vic to blame RestoJohnny for all the delays. By that time his friend “Shaggy” came entered the picture.

When Shaggy entered the picture, they started to tell me that they needed a “Silent Partner/Investor” to expand CalPerformanceLab/TheLab. Vic claimed that he had over $100K in his shop and that he needed a “Silent Partner/Investor” to fund anywhere from $50K to $100K. He said he wanted to compete with Chico of CPR and Serrano’s. In hopes that they would finish my car sooner, I played along with their idea. That didn’t work.

In the end, I got tired of it and so I threatened legal action against Vic and RestoJohnny. I finally got my car in May of 2007. From May through July, the car had issues. Vic knew I was serious about suing him. So, I’d take the car to him and he also made a trip up to where I lived in NorCal to get my car to fix it.

For ~$16K, I was not satisfied with how the car turned out. Instead of wasting my time going back and forth from his shop to NorCal, I cut my losses and decided to not take the risk of my car disappearing while in Vic and Shaggy’s hands. The car was as good as it was going to get. So, I cut my ties with Vic.

Did I mention that until the very end, Vic offered yet another proposal for a Healthcare business for which he needed a “Silent Partner/Investor”; $25K for starters. INCREDIBLE!
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ghia came out nice otherwise you wouldn't of paid me in full. There was one drip and that dissappeared when I wet sanded and buffed out the entire car. Don't get mad and include me with Vic as he burned me aswell Mad He owes me money for 2 cars and I don't care anymore so move on guy. For the record I was NEVER a partner with Vic he rented one of my buildiings and asked if I could help him out by doing a few cars. Here's pic's of the car so everyone can see it came out nice sorry you had Vic put it together so don't go blaming me especially saying you threatened to sue me when I didn't here one word from you after you paid me in full after you said that it came out very nice. I won't bother going back and forth. Wow your first post is crying about getting ripped off by Vic 4 year's ago. You should of posted it right there and then Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
kekonaiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Johnny and Vic were never partners he only rented out the shop space to him.

Johnny's got my split at his place and I have known him for years. I know him better then that to screw anybody over.

Well he still does owe me a dollar...LOL jus jokin..

I don't know all the details, but just putting my two cents in because I don't think Johnny should have been slammed because of someone elses wrong doing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkySoldier173
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny,

The context of my posting my message on the Samba is to shed light to those who seek Vic for engine building and/or a restoration job. When I saw the posts in the last year about Vic, I couldn't help but post something. My intent was not to be blindly defamatory to you nor to place false claims. However, given your claims and the pictures that you've posted, I'd like to put clarity in your insinuations and statements.

1. The work you did on the modified dash that I'd ask you to fabricate was excellent. The way you set it up made the VDO gauges look great. Many who looked to buy the care liked it. Bravo.
2. The work that you did to clear up the dings and the smashed area under the right rear light assembly was impeccable and incredibly done.
3. Paint Drips - 3 total
a. Upper right quadrant of the left front fender - Four inches in length; pronounced and always called out when potential buyers looked at the car. b. Lower right quadrant of the right door near the chrome trim - Three inches in length and mildly pronounced; from the base of the chrome trim to the bottom of the door.
c. Lower right quadrant of the left door near the chrome trim - Two inches in length and mildly pronounced; from the base of the chrome trim to the bottom of the door. d. Front apron - Three inches in length near the rubber boot of the horn.
4. Orange Peel and "Waving"
a. "Orange Peel" was prominent on the area between the base of the rear windshield and anterior and lateral to the engine trunk lid
b. L/R Sides of the car had different gradients of shading and dullness-- ***A high end custom paint shop referred to it as "Waving". They believed that when the car was wet sanded it was done too deeply. I did not see it at the time of pick up because of the pearlized paint and wax that masked it in direct sunlight.
5. Alignment
a. Both doors were ~.33 inch off alignment
b. Rear trunk lid on the right side - .5 inch gap open at the side even when it was closed. I had to get it redone because water was getting into the right carbeurator.
6. Interior Paint
a. Under the dash area - Glue and remnants of old glue and carpet were painted over without properly cleaning the area of debris. The rectangular hole where the old fuse grid used to be located was not sealed off as you'd promise to do.
7. Paint (Other)
a. Left Door Frame - Old glue and original vinyl painted over (See picture)
b. Right Door Frame - Old glue and original vinyl painted over

I have the same pictures that you posted because you sent them to me as proof that you were getting the job done. However, the pictures do not accurately convey the quality of the paint job. Just to illustrate this, go online to AutoTrader and pick any nice looking car. Then go see the car in person and tell me that the actual paint of the car is as pretty as it looks in pictures. Good luck.

As for the legal action I was to take, I consulted a lawyer NOT after the situation, rather, it was DURING the time I was trying to get my car done/back. I paid you because I didn't feel I would get my car back had I not done so.

It was only after I got my car back that I somewhat believed that you guys were not partners. However, in his past website you (RestoJohnny) were cited as the paint/body connection to him. There were even pictures of a raspberry pearl Bug that was featured on the website.

You claim to be a perfectionist; can you honestly say publicly in this forum that your work on my car would have won a paint and bodywork contest? Better yet, would you say that it was even worthy of entry into any contest?

I have no doubt that you are a skilled and knowledgeable paint and body professional. Perhaps the medical issues that you mentioned then and the talk about you having to go to Arizona had something to do with it when you were working on my car. I'll never know for sure.

You called me out and so the above is my response. I just wanted to make sure I didn't represent anything that I claimed in my previous post. This is all you'll hear from me. Again, my intent was to shed light on Vic and not necessarily call attention to you. However, I have to defend my side given your attack on me.

Lastly, the car has been sold to someone who bought it for what it was. Now I know better.
mrgil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: vics response Reply with quote

I just became aware of this post, so in response to the above accusations, true I am not void of concerns with how I have handled business in the past, in terms of time frame, but never in terms of quality!!! Yes this has been an issue for which I am attempting to rectify. I have had my hardships due to the economy, but I have not DISAPEARED from any one. My shop is still in the location that it has been for over 5 years. I am still working operating, and finalizing my work for all my customer who I owe product to. The customers I owe product to I have communicated with and are aware of my situation and my intention. Each will receive the product they contract me to complete and deliver. I have not advertised in years to clear up my work load and not except new work. This is not what I do full time, and do have a job to supply additional income to the shop so it maintains afloat, Yes times have been hard but I am not a coward and my intention is not to defraud anyone as it is portrayed. As for the few customers who I owe product to I assure that I am doing everything I can to complete and deliver, with the best quality as I always have. As well as going above and beyond expectation to deliver excellent product.
I have been in business providing quality services for many years, for which my performance products have been competitive and of the highest quality with engine through out the US, and over seas with absolutely 90% engine building quality success. I am still here, struggling but strong in completing my work. I have provided work for hundreds of customers, who have benefited from the product I have to provide, and who continue to seek my services and knowledge. We put out high quality components which are in no means off the shelf products much of our work is custom and one of a kind, we which have won awards, and been and will be featured in magazines. We will continue to provide this level of work for individuals who appreciate the excellence of innovation and performance!!!

As for the individual who now 3 years later decides to post accusation about me trying to take his money, is slander, defamation, and is warranting legal action. Yes I was contracted to work on Roel’s ghia, I did not contract Johnny to do the body and paint work, nor did have a partnership with him. At the time I was renting storage space from him and had another small shop across from Johnny. I put the two in contact to deal with the body, and paint, after I received the car from Johnny the car was in my possession to be completed, which was done so in a few months. The car initially did have some issues, mainly the fuel injection system, which I agreed on 3 different occasions to travel from So. Cal to Nor. Cal to pick up the car at my cost as a customer courtesy to maintain the best customer relations possible, under the circumstances. WHAT SHOP DOES THIS! Not because this guy was claiming that he would take legal action, but to maintain a good customer relationship. After the injection system was pulled out and caburators were installed the car was mechanically sound for which Roel many times mentioned how pleased he was with the performance, reliability, and fuel economy he was getting not only to me but to also people who helped me and are still around to attest to that claim. Even after the car was repaired and mechanically sound he drove the car to So. Cal on several occasions for general maintenance for which he was not charged. If roel was so displeased with the outcome of the car and as he claims and was in fear that his car was going to disappear, why did this guy elect to bring the car back to me!!!! Leave it at my shop for maintenance! There are many shops in Nor. Cal he could have taken it to. In addition, there was discussion at one point of a partnership for the purpose of expanding business for which Roel in no means was to be a silent partner but an active participant in the shop with the ability to have control of his investment, at one time, he agreed to fund for a new shop, which implied having control of how he would contribute his investment. This simply did not work out and never again discussed! For which there was never any exchange of money! Why he brings this up now is beyond me! HE GOT HIS CAR, HAD MINOR ISSUES, WERE REPAIRED, DROVE IT, ENJOYED IT, UP AND DOWN THE COAST WHICH HE CALLED ME EXCITED ABOUT, DROVE DOWN TO SO. CAL ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT PERFORMANCE, RELIABILITY, FUEL ECONONMY, NEVER HAD TO USE HIS WARRANTY FOR MACHANICAL ISSUES. DECIDED TO SELL!!!!! SO NOW “W.T.F”

As for resto johnny you made the mistake of claiming that I am the crook in your defense to this concern that Roel brought up.
I rented half of Johnnys shop space over 5 years ago and a smaller shop across the big shop. On February 1, 2008 johnny had me do a lease agreement when I took over the big shop left the small shop and took over another shop across from me. He charged me $1300 a month and a security deposit of $1120, WHICH HE STILL OWES ME. To my surprise on November 2008 I was asked by the owner of the building to sign a new lease agreement because johnny had not been paying his rent that I had provided to him or his own for who knows how long which according to the land lord was an extremely large sum of money. Finally he was evicted, and he removed his belongings and customer cars, changed phone numbers, moved house and shop. However, prior to this guy leaving, I asked him to pay me back my deposit, he said he did not have, and would give to me in two weeks. Never mentioned I owed him anything! I would like to know for what, because if he is talking about what think, he got deposits for those cars, SO MAN UP AS HOLE, crawl out of that hole you’ve been hiding. Instead this CROOK, FRAUD, CHEAT, AND COWARD left the shop owing me money for establishing a contract you had no legal right to establish, instead you stole, $400 a month from me for a long time. In case you forgot I have a contract you signed. To add to the shame of this guy, he took customers car disappeared. 8 months later customer kept coming to the shop looking for their cars. Not to mention the shady work you did to many customers cars who still are unhappy about the results. if you like we can have them join this too.
Ask anyone and all who read this “that is F up” so called homie!!!!!
You must be an idiot to claim something about someone who knows so much of your dirty laundry and who has now exposed you for who you really are!!! “I BURNED YOU OK JOHNNY YOUR DELUSIONAL”
Moreover, you screwed up every body and paint referral I gave you, which caused me additional money and problems. I can name and even have them attest to that your no body and paint god bro just a “slime shady” guy, a two-bit opportunist just looking for the quick hustle just to get bye! In case you forgot what homie meant. I gave you a 1914 sick trans, and a gang of labor and work done to your 43 to get it to the classic along with the collaboration of all the homies! And any one of us would have done anything to be there for you, and help you out, and now they don’t even give a rats ass for a cat like you!
And by the way Kona your cool, and always appreciate you support, but look at homie in the eye and ask this foo how much of this info is true. This is the kind of dude you vouch for!!

And if any one has anything to discuss or need to know about me, shop and life!

Email me: vicperflab
Call me: (909) 900-0804
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your a big JOKE VIC aka "MRGIL" at first I wanted this post deleted but I really don't care because my feedback does speak for itself and that's why I've been buying and selling all these years without a problem as I handle ALL my problems that come my way and "MAKE IT RIGHT" I don't hide as I've been on the samba and at pretty much EVERY show in Southern California. Where have YOU been Rolling Eyes As for the $$$ end of it. I don't owe you SQUAT !!! and next time don't send someone to come after me at a show trying to shake me down for some $$$ that you told them I owe you especially with my daughter with me at a show. Why don't you do it yourself Evil or Very Mad As for my customer's looking for me saying that I got there car that's another good one because they all know where I'm at because if they didn't they would of posted here on the samba like all your customer's did to YOU Laughing Laughing Laughing I won't bother with you again so don't bother posting here either just come down to a show and talk to me man to man Cool
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $$
54 Pre-A Porsche
56 semiphore ragtop
67 euro squareback

mrgil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: the truth is out!!! Reply with quote

nice to hide behind the computer justify and rationalize your position and have people believe, that your a stand up guy when everbody who, ever knew you in person knows what kind of a shmuck you really are!!! your feed back is a joke from parts you sell.. your work "huuh" very questionable, well let just say it spoke for its self during the time you worked from the shop.. your a sad reality... and yeah will see you at the next show!! by the way i have a signed document about how much of a fraud you really are!!! good luck!!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mostly directed at SkySoldier173 but if you have feedback on another seller, please use his feedback thread.

If I could move the posts, I would do so.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkySoldier173
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Response to MrGil Reply with quote

Vic,

1. I've posted here mainly after seeing the posts of your customers about your services; yes, it has been 2.5 years since I first got my car from you. IF, I say again, IF you are doing something foolish, then people should know.

2. If you look at my previous post, I did attest that I did both drive my car to SoCal (once) and YOU picked it up from NorCal to fix some of the issues. I spent a lot of money to get your services. Initially, why would I go somewhere else when you provided the warranty? I had other issues but I stopped going to you because it was too costly for me and too time consuming. That's why you stopped hearing form me.

3. As far as your relationship with Johnny, I believe you did say you guys were partners. However, I'd never checked the Better Business Bureau to confirm this. I took your word for it.

4. Silent Partner/Investor - Had I invested in building your business, where would my $50K have gone. I'd probably been under attack myself.

Vic, I'm an honest, ethical and moral person. I ask that you don't put those things about me in question. If there is a lie anywhere in my post then call it out. Otherwise, the experience I've had with you is as I've stated.

If those people who you owe services and/or products to are being handled accordingly then I hope you really do the right thing and follow through. It has been a tough economy for many of us. The money people have spent on your products/services probably did not come easily. I personally know that to be true on my personal account because the money I paid you came from two very difficult combat deployments. The restored Ghia was a gift to myself for making it back alive.

I hope you make good on all your business deals.
stussyrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wel i'm still waitng for my parts which as per usual vic keeps promising to deliver.
budgetdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

restojohnny wrote:
...and next time don't send someone to come after me at a show trying to shake me down for some $$$ that you told them I owe you especially with my daughter with me at a show. Why don't you do it yourself

I was at Pomona this weekend and saw both Vic and Johnny. Vics "homies" were stupid drunk and talking a lot of crap to everyone passing by. Vic you seemed like a cool person but your buddies are fucking it up for you!! I saw your drunkest friend go over to Johnnies booth and start talking a bunch of crap and kicking his parts around. The cops came by and put your buddy in check. The cops sided with Johnny as the issue was not even between your friend and johnny. There were a ton of witnesses who avoided your booth because of your drunk, shit talkig, violent friend.

I now see the beef between you two but if you really are trying to repair your reputation and be a true professional businessman you must realize you are who you hang around with. Drunk and violent is not an image I would want for my business.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported to me that the user shag55 on the site was using his account to sell motors for mrgil.

Update - I have had a couple emails that state this is not true.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shag55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: To the above post Reply with quote

Hi I am Shag55 of SL-1racing and I would just like to let everyone know that I have a shop in the same complex as Vic and the since gone RestoJonny. I did not partisipate in the build of the aboves motors or builds. I have however supplied Vic with many turbo components and other fabricated items. How he has done buisness with his customers should have no reflection on me or my shop. I am a stand up guy and anyone who has done buisness with me feel free to address this. Thank you Everett for letting me know about you findings so I may get this issue resolved.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ultimateaircooled.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=8238.0

On a related front, it appears another individual is having issues reaching the properietor of California Performance Lab.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
califire21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread might be dead by now but I'm curious to know if everyone that Vic owed to received their parts & items? Took me a year and a half to get my stuff and I live in the LA county area, so I feel for the ones that don't.

I wished I would have looked up threads and feedback on Victor Menjivar before engaging in a business transaction.
heb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting and bugging him for my car. I always get soon..... and it has been 4.5 years now, he is not responding lately. So I keep calling... I think I'm going to make a visit soon I think. Very Happy
heb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my car... but that was about it.. most everything that was purchased and shipped is missing or gone and he has no clue where they are. Basically I wanted my car back in my hands not his, and I am going to finish it myself. never will I have anybody restore my cars again, this experience has left a very bad taste. He says he is going to ship me what he owes me by mid to end of october: engine, tranny, disk brakes, front beam, rims and tires. Also missing is my semiphores and switch and a bunch of exterior and interior pieces. He is a joke and the two guys that were helping him well all I have to say is wow!! do you know who you are keeping company with??? His shop is still full of cars.. So I am basically out 16k because of this guy.. He is not worth it, oh well time to let go and move on. He will get his come upons when karma bites him in the ass.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heb wrote:
Finally got my car... but that was about it.. most everything that was purchased and shipped is missing or gone and he has no clue where they are. Basically I wanted my car back in my hands not his, and I am going to finish it myself. never will I have anybody restore my cars again, this experience has left a very bad taste. He says he is going to ship me what he owes me by mid to end of october: engine, tranny, disk brakes, front beam, rims and tires. Also missing is my semiphores and switch and a bunch of exterior and interior pieces. He is a joke and the two guys that were helping him well all I have to say is wow!! do you know who you are keeping company with??? His shop is still full of cars.. So I am basically out 16k because of this guy.. He is not worth it, oh well time to let go and move on. He will get his come upons when karma bites him in the ass.

Maybe the world will get lucky and Mr. Victor will choke on a corn dog or something in the near future. The thread over on UAC has been dead for a long time, which I found funny, given how fired up people were initially to get money/parts/etc back from this idiot... then all of a sudden people lost interest, seemingly, and no updates... very weird.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else been burned Twisted Evil
54 Pre-A Porsche
56 semiphore ragtop
67 euro squareback

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: