Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

were can you buy notchracks?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capecodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: were can you buy notchracks? Reply with quote

With the cost of vintage nos racks, is anyone making a rack to fit a 64 notch? I see them from flat 4 and empi, but for bugs,bus,square,etc.
Anyone know!

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead and I made two halfracks - one for his halfback and one for my square... check out my gallery...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Capecodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Mr. Bubblehead and I made two halfracks - one for his halfback and one for my square... check out my gallery...

Ok? so I'm still looking for my question in this post!? are you trying to tell me I will need to make one. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
R.Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Conner alllllll the way across the country from you, so add about $100 for shipping and you're set.
http://www.webhunterdesigns.com/vwracks/type3.htm
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SBS #5
'54 RHD Swedish 3-fold
'60 L345 Doppelkabine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Capecodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give him a call
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capecodster wrote:
blankmange wrote:

Ok? so I'm still looking for my question in this post!? are you trying to tell me I will need to make one. Shocked

no, I am telling you to save your money and make your own....

http://geocities.com/weedzie1/rack/

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.Rabbit wrote:
Tom Conner alllllll the way across the country from you, so add about $100 for shipping and you're set.

let us know if you can get ahold of tom conner anymore.. i had him make a rack for my notch a couple of summers ago that i like ok. i tried to get ahold of him for a rack for the T34 with no luck. not sure if he is still making them.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also modify a type one rack to fit by widening the legs on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its not a perfect size for the notch, but I picked up the rack dirt cheap. The only change I may still make is to angle the back legs back just a hair.

Last edited by TimGud on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Capecodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal import parts, has a flat4 rack for a type3. It shows it as a square rack? after calling and thier guy looking it up in the flat4 book, it said nothing if it will fit the notch?

It is like $300.00 and free shipping. It breaks down and can be boxed. If to long I figure I can cut it and reweld and refinish.

Is the roof width and rain gutter the same.?
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capecodster wrote:
Cal import parts, has a flat4 rack for a type3. It shows it as a square rack? after calling and thier guy looking it up in the flat4 book, it said nothing if it will fit the notch?

It is like $300.00 and free shipping. It breaks down and can be boxed. If to long I figure I can cut it and reweld and refinish.

Is the roof width and rain gutter the same.?

roof/gutter width is the same, although the Type 3 does taper a bit in the rear, so the square is a little narrower in the rear than a notch...

$300.00? I think I spent $70.00 on mine.....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
R.Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the back legs on a notch rack are angled due to the slope of the roofline, unlike a square rack that is flat. I got my ogriginal notch rack on here for 300 shipped, so there are out there, you just have to be patient
SBS #5
'54 RHD Swedish 3-fold
'60 L345 Doppelkabine
Capecodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

If any one runs across one drop me a line. I may build one if I can't find one at a good$$$.
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Tom Conner rack this fall. I like it alot. I also made my own and am thinking about making a few more if there is any interest. As far as Tom goes, I had to literally call him ALL the time to get ahold of him. But at least he didn't rip me off.

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.Rabbit wrote:

$100 for shipping!?!?!? That's absurd and crazy Rolling Eyes
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
R.Rabbit wrote:

it is -- considering I shipped a fat chick bumper for about $25 -- no way a rack that is broken down and shipped flat should cost that much to ship...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing. Tom Connor racks do not come apart. So you have to ship a big ass box Greyhound or fedx. Alot of "regular" companies dont even handel a big ass box like that. $100 is just a simple case of it is what it is.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Thats the thing. Tom Connor racks do not come apart. So you have to ship a big ass box Greyhound or fedx. Alot of "regular" companies dont even handel a big ass box like that. $100 is just a simple case of it is what it is.

gotcha -- wasn't aware that they didn't break down...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

A Karmann Ghia front fender is larger and about the same weight as a roofrack. I have sent fenders to California and Massachusettes via Greyhound from Oklahoma. The total, both times, did no exceed $45.

$100 shipped via Greyhound is too much. I'll bet said roofrack could ship for less than $50 via FedEx Ground.
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most carriers go by dimensional weight on oversized packages like roof racks, while it may weigh 30 lbs, the measurements of the package or space it takes up, is calculated to a larger weight total

we use to sell type 3 racks, the one piece type, and depending on where you were you could have paid $40 to $175 for delivery for the same rack

even thou the flat 4 version is broken down, the main center with the wood slats is pre assembled, its still a large ass box, OS3 by UPS standards

CIP must get a hell of a discount from the carrier for their volume of packages to ship that one for free! I know we couldn't

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
R.Rabbit wrote:

Try the Greyhound bus. I shipped a T-1 rack to Topeka, KS from Des Moines, IA for $30. And they charged me extra for the size. I can't blame them. The T-1 rack was assembled.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: